Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 12:14 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornutt View Post
As you probably know, Boeing laid some people off here last month. That was the first time that's happened in a while. There were rumors at the time about more layoffs in September, but that didn't happen. Right now, the situation seems to have stabilized -- not much hiring, but no layoffs either. It's still too early to say we're out of the woods, with missile defense and FCS still taking cuts, and the NASA Ares program being re-thought.

If Boeing wins the KC-X tanker competition, some of the jobs will be in Huntsville (a point that escaped the Montgomery politicans' attention after the protest was upheld). Until then, I personally don't foresee a lot of hiring here in HSV over the next year or so. Boeing is pretty good at relo from what I've been told, although they have recently cut some of the benefits. I'm not really sure what all is happening at other sites. I know there were recruiters here a couple of months ago looking for people to go work a Navy program in Dallas; one of my co-workers took a transfer there.

Not speaking for Boeing -- just my own opinions.

Thanks for the good info. I'm glad to hear that things may be stable as, yes things were a little less stable feeling a couple months ago.

My gut feeling (my gut is probably bigger than yours - time for a diet) is things are not bad in Huntsville at all. I know several people who are being let go in a week or two but they aren't worried - more like a change of contracts and contractors. Even the janitorial crew people in my building are changing companies in a month or so but other than the name of their company (and a few minor benefits/salary details) everything for them is the same.

I talk to other dads at the soccer fields and neighbors and such and nobody seems worried.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2009, 05:43 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
"the new president of Boeing's Integrated Defense Systems said Friday that the state - and Huntsville in particular - would play a role in creating the tanker,

they do a lot of modeling and simulation work for the KC-135 tanker fleet. "

from

Boeing touts expertise here - al.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area