Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 06:32 AM

5 posts, read 14,636 times

Advertisements

So I'm opening my mail this week, and here's a letter from City of Hsv Community Dev Div, indicating "Official Notice", and containing a laundry list of 20 'violations' pertaining to my rental house off Weatherly Rd. 90% relate to paint, but also lists felony offenses such as torn screen on front door. Apparently, the guy went all around the house with a magnifying glass and uncovered further grievous shortcomings like a window that cailking.
No argument the house could use a paint job, but it certainly doesn't present an eyesore by any means.

Tried to find details of "Chapter 7, Article V", but naturally the only link I found is bad.

My question is, what triggers such an inspection and notice? A neighbor? A city employee just cruising neighborhoods, filling a quota? I suspect a touch of retaliation as a result of a complaint to the Utility Dept a couple weeks prior, but I could be wrong. Actually, I was a little surprised they didn't enter the house to inspect refrigerator and cupboard, ensuring the renters were on a proper food diet.

Has anyone else run into this?

Any input is appreciated - -

HsvKen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2008, 09:29 AM

355 posts, read 959,746 times
Hate to hear this happened to you. This is why I am very glad I moved into the county.

A good friend has a rental in Hville and received a similar note because the back yard grass was a few inches too tall.

Understand they want the city to look nice, but I'm not sure the heavy hand of the government is the answer.

Old 09-01-2008, 10:14 AM

1,618 posts, read 4,765,640 times
When you say "rental house", are you the owner or the tenant? If you're the owner, I'd think maybe a disgruntled tenant?

If you are the tenant, just pass it on to your landlord. Not your responsibility.

Old 09-01-2008, 11:05 AM

Thanks, Dude - Yeah, I dunno.... Just seemed trivial to me, unless that's the Reason for Existence for this Commun Dev deal.

zenjenn - No, I own the house and have a tenant who yardscapes it and keeps it up pretty well. I've rented the house for years and years, but it's looked a heck of a lot worse with other tenants in the past, without the SS stepping in to demand renovations. That's what perplexes me.

Thanks, y'all - -

HsvKen

Old 09-01-2008, 11:39 AM

4,739 posts, read 10,378,908 times
HsvKen - fix up the house. You act like you're the aggrieved party here, even as you admit that the house has "looked a heck of a lot worse".

Asking about how your eyesore got on the City's list is counterproductive - it could have been a neighbor, an inspector (IIRC the entire City has 2 or 3), a tenant, or maybe I drove by and called the City - doesn't really matter.

If you don't like the City Ordinance, meet with your City Councilmember or go to Council meetings and get the Ordinance changed.

Old 09-01-2008, 11:49 AM

26,338 posts, read 93,435,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HsvKen View Post
it certainly doesn't present an eyesore by any means.
Just for fun, could you post a photo of it, say, from the street? (You can either upload a photo as an attachment or use a service like Photobucket which doesn't use all your City Data storage space.)

Old 09-01-2008, 12:04 PM

Charles, ... in the eye of the beholder...

Old 09-01-2008, 12:14 PM

1,176 posts, read 1,812,949 times
Without seeing the property in question, it is hard to say if it is overzealousness or not. As a side note when i lived in Houston area where Homeowners Assns. are notorious for excessive activity, we received a notice from said HOA that we needed to replace the roof on a rental property we owned. The roof had never leaked and had no appearance issues. When I questioned the HOA representative, she admitted that they had just sent notices to every home owner who had an original roof because they had decided "we needed to put a new roof". The homes in question were 15 years old at the time, so it could be assumed that the roofs still had a couple of years of life in them.

Old 09-01-2008, 12:33 PM

Reactionary - No problem at all with painting the house - it's always been satisfactorily maintained, and periodic painting has been part of the process, along with a lot of other projects.

I don't believe questioning an action by the City of Hsv is 'counterproductive' at all. What IS counterproductive is snapping to attention and responding "Yes sir, anything you say, sir"... without asking any questions.

Charles - - Good idea about the photo - - Should be able to do pretty easy - -

Thank you, gentlemen - I appreciate your inputs -
HsvKen

Old 09-01-2008, 01:10 PM

Ken, by all means question the City of Huntsville - talk to the Code Enforcement people, find out what appeals are available, etc. I'm interested in what you learn and hope you share your findings (and since you brought this up, you are compelled to follow through with the story and keep us informed

What I was responding to as 'counterproductive' was your musing about 'who turned you in' and "retaliation". No more than that.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area