Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 06:49 PM

25 posts, read 62,136 times

Advertisements

Wow Mike! That's a deal to have wind included in homeowners! Thanks to Mike, Jenn and Dramamama for all the great ideas and info. Feel free to keep 'em coming as this move is scary for us to leave our dream home but I'm feeling very optimistic reading this forum and checking out websites for the city and subdivisions.. Thanks guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2008, 07:02 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
Welcome. The folks on this forum are some of the best in all of CD land. Check out ValleyMls.com for homes and be sure to come back and ask about different areas.

Old 09-13-2008, 12:01 PM

We have made plans to come in October==short trip, though. Besides HC, Madison, and Jones Valley--what other subdivisions should we explore--?

Dramamama--what subdivisions are "up the mountain"? And is the mountain fairly obvious to find?

Thanks again, everyone!

Old 09-13-2008, 12:41 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by planintomove View Post
what other subdivisions should we explore--?
Clifts Cove
The Ledges of Huntsville
Highland Lakes
Heritage Plantation
McMullen Cove

Be careful about big lots, like over one acre. The kid density is lower; many of us adults probably love the separation and spaciousness but it can be more challenging for your kids to spontaneously go out an play with other kids: the kid density can be too low. Also, large lot subdivisions can be full of retired people with no kids. Just something to think about. We've lived on small lots and 2.5 acre lots. With kids (we have four kids under ten), no way would we ever want large lots. No way.

Old 09-14-2008, 03:25 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
October is usually a little cooler but leaves don't change until closer to Nov. Monte Santo and Green Mountain are the 2 biggest mountains around H'ville.

You can see some pics of the area in the annoucement section and also here
http://www.city-data.com/city/Huntsville-Alabama.html

Be sure to check back with us and let us know if you need any more info.

Last edited by Keeper; 09-14-2008 at 03:29 PM.. Reason: added

Old 09-15-2008, 07:16 AM

1,645 posts, read 4,586,502 times
We live in Madison, but there are some lovely subdivisions on hilly, wooded sites here as well. Highlands, Rainbow Mountain to name a few. Walden is also really nice. Our subdivision is very new but has some wooded lots.

Good luck on your trip.

Old 09-15-2008, 03:40 PM

1,134 posts, read 2,867,377 times
Hey, my wife and I are from the MS coast too.

After Katrina took out our place, we moved up to DC to get away from the devastation quickly - it was too depressing. Now, with kiddies in tow, here we come Huntsville.

Where on the MS coast were you? We were in Long Beach.

Old 09-15-2008, 05:36 PM

We are in Biloxi. We lived the upstairs of our house for a year and a half with no kitchen etc while we rebuilt. Now we're done rebuilding but not comfortable remaining here with the hurricanes..Hoping we can sell our house so we can move..Did you guys just have a slab and sold the property as is?

Old 09-15-2008, 05:39 PM

I am also now complicated by the fact that my 82 year old dad is going to have to come live with us for a while as he flooded in Bridge City, TX from Ike. I leave tonight to go get him, assess damage, and see if I can do any clean up while I'm there...Life is not simple, is it??

Old 10-09-2008, 04:58 AM

Just a quick update..We will be in the Huntsville area Sunday and Monday. So if you see a gray SUV with kids and luggage in the back, driving slow like their lost, don't honk or make gestures...it's just us checking out the neighborhoods and city--lol!!

BTW--if the valley MLS had addresses it sure would be easier to plug them in my GPS and get to the neighborhoods we want to see,,,,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area