Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 07:23 PM

4 posts, read 11,938 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. I am from northern Bama and seriously considering relocating to the cullman area to live and open a store. I was just hoping for some information on the types of people that comprise the downtown shopping area and whether or not an alternative "hippie" type store would survive. Anything like that around the area?
thanks for any input,
bamabud
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2008, 08:00 PM

6 posts, read 17,548 times
Do it, brah!

Old 10-01-2008, 08:09 PM

1,618 posts, read 4,789,744 times
In general, yes - not like there are tons of displaced hippies in Huntsville, but quite a few transplants who are accustomed to bigger cities would enjoy a little more funk in their shopping experience. What kind of hippie store? Clothing? Food? Gifts? Artwork? For example, I would be happy to shop at a place that had some artsy clothing, jewelry, and items for the house (dishes, etc), but it's just a style thing not lifestyle thing.. I'm wouldn't really be interested in paying top dollar for organic union-made all-natural cotton items or buying wheat grass shots, and I think it's fair to say that's fairly typical of the demographic.

Old 10-01-2008, 09:35 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,423,643 times
We have ZeroGravity in Decatur...I thought it also had a store in Huntsville, but I don't really know.
A store in Cullman? I kind of doubt it.

Old 10-02-2008, 12:18 AM

7 posts, read 25,479 times
I dont really know, I havent lived in AL long...i'm originally from CA..big sur to be exact...anyways...its full of hippies. we live about 20 minutes south of cullman and i love it up there. its growing and some say its small, but compared to where we live know and where i grew up its huge. i say probly. it seems to be growing and they seem to have a lil something for everyone. except for beer stores that is...ugh.

Old 10-02-2008, 06:54 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
I don't live in Cullman but I am not sure the store you are thinking of opening would generate much business there. They do have a nice little downtown which they are still working on from what I have read. There are a lot of farmers in the area along with your your average worker. Not exactly new age types or hippies. You might want to open a booth at the flea market one weekend to test the waters so to speak

Old 10-02-2008, 11:13 AM

6 posts, read 19,219 times
I think you would have more success opening such a store in Huntsville even though you'd have some competition. I don't think it would be much of a hit in Cullman but ya never know.

Old 10-02-2008, 06:17 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,706,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VJ86 View Post
I think you would have more success opening such a store in Huntsville even though you'd have some competition. I don't think it would be much of a hit in Cullman but ya never know.

Not to rudely diminish anyone's previous efforts at counterculture in Huntsville, but I see very little in the way of real competition.

Old 10-02-2008, 07:46 PM

1,645 posts, read 4,586,502 times
I doubt an alternative store would succeed in Cullman --it's dry!

Old 10-03-2008, 08:12 AM

6 posts, read 19,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33458 View Post
Not to rudely diminish anyone's previous efforts at counterculture in Huntsville, but I see very little in the way of real competition.
Maybe you should get around in Huntsville more? I know of at least Crossroads in Madison and a shop off Pratt Ave that are both the sort of shop the OP describes. Then you have places like the Flying Monkey Arts Center where there is always something different going on. Huntsville is no NYC, but it's got a lot to offer for the "counterculture" crowd considering its size. You just have to look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area