Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2009, 01:40 PM

976 posts, read 2,682,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkratze1 View Post
Tommy Battle was on Fox News Business this morning talking about Huntsville being bulletproof during this recession. Anyone see it? Huntsville has not been bulletproof as the layoffs in this thread have shown. He also talked about BRAC jobs coming and Huntsville's AAA bond rating. Made for some good PR at least.
The new mayor is full of it!
Lying on T.V. and some people actually believe that crap!
I feel sorry for the sheep but I'm glad I'm a wolf.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2009, 05:46 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Tommy Battle was on Fox News Business this morning talking about Huntsville being bulletproof during this recession. Anyone see it? Huntsville has not been bulletproof as the layoffs in this thread have shown. He also talked about BRAC jobs coming and Huntsville's AAA bond rating. Made for some good PR at least.

He can still say a lot more positives about Huntsville's economy than most mayors can say about their cities' economies.

Old 07-28-2009, 06:01 PM

190 posts, read 412,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
DanInHSV - "specious injection of politics"? The thread was started about politics - and the effects of the Obama administration on Huntsville's employment. Here's the OP: "Does anyone have any concerns about the new president cutting military/contractor/civilian jobs tied to MDA, NASA, and future combat systems?"

The rest of your comment is unresponsive to GeeEssTee's post. GST made no statement about privatization being cheaper, and GST's point was that the Govt size will grow (which is Obama's plan - shifting Kr jobs to Govt).
I think you can figure out what I meant by that. The OP wasn't making a partisan attack, just asking about the ramifications of the Obama policies. The post by GeeEssTee was a partisan snipe at policies he obviously doesn't agree with- which I thought was quite unproductive and unnecessary to whatever he was trying to ask or state in this forum.

He could have kept the thread more civil by phrasing the same information a different way. I'll give him some slack since it is his first post on CD.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:44 PM

369 posts, read 1,145,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeEssTee View Post
I heard a rumor yesterday that Obama/Dems, in the ever increasing quest to expand the size of Govt, are going to badge most of the contractors and convert them into civil servants. This could cause some problems for local contractors. In the past few years, there has been quite a bit of large building construction at RSA. A new PRL, and 2 ED buildings at MSFC and current construction on a huge AMC/USASAC HQ on Martin Rd.
It's not a rumor, it's a fact that has been stated by the SECDEF. However, you have the context of "contractor" all wrong - in this case is means SETA and other government support contractors, not construction contractors.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:50 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Is the next layoff wave also GMD or is it another program such as FCS? Any idea when the next wave will occur? Man, I feel bad for these people. I've been through layoffs myself and the waiting and wondering can be worse than knowing.
I don't know about the rest of you guys but I've noticed more tension and nervousness and whispers and side discussions at work lately. Something seems to be going down but no one (at the worker bee level like me) seems to know. Something about contracts and funding and affecting smaller contractors. I don't know much more. It was a little ironic to hear Tommy on TV today.

Old 07-29-2009, 04:35 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,952,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I don't know about the rest of you guys but I've noticed more tension and nervousness and whispers and side discussions at work lately. Something seems to be going down but no one (at the worker bee level like me) seems to know. Something about contracts and funding and affecting smaller contractors. I don't know much more. It was a little ironic to hear Tommy on TV today.
If you consider the net effect to GMD is a $2B budget cut, Boeing's announcement is only the beginning of waves of layoffs. The ripple effect is bound to continue to its subcontractors, then to its lower-tier subs, etc. This "hit" will be felt well into the next year.

Old 07-29-2009, 03:19 PM

79 posts, read 186,149 times
Is it Alabama who's aggregate unemployment is 10% or is it Huntsville proper i.e. Madison, Athens, Limestone and Decatur. I saw a report of 10% but do not recall if that was the state total.

Yes the Gov jobs are to be GS with a reduction in SETA support. Program cuts of course have already taken its toll and will continue to do so with defense contractors and BRAC still has a long way to go. If a person can not sell their home in one area, what makes you think they can afford to move here? There is a surplus of homes in the area and large number of incomplete developments.

Stats reflect an increase in home sales but the inventory is still high and the prices are far below than what they were a few years ago. The good fortune is that the value erosion has been predominantly on equity earned and not the purchase price of the home.

Old 07-30-2009, 05:38 PM

976 posts, read 2,682,097 times
Huntsville company awarded defense contract | montgomeryadvertiser.com | Montgomery Advertiser

Old 07-30-2009, 06:27 PM

379 posts, read 848,883 times
Default Some good news

House Kills F-22 Funding, But Rejects Most Obama Weapons Cuts - Political News - FOXNews.com

Old 07-30-2009, 08:01 PM

369 posts, read 1,145,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFOTOCEO View Post
Stats reflect an increase in home sales but the inventory is still high and the prices are far below than what they were a few years ago.
"Far below"? I'd call that hyperbole. The facts are a slight price decline in Huntsville housing.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area