Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 10:31 AM

956 posts, read 2,499,901 times

Advertisements

When I first began to show property at Village of Providence, I was not impressed. Now, after showing several times, the love affair is beginning. I was out in Providence 3 weeks ago showing. It was a gorgeous fall day and we felt so welcomed from all of the neighbors. Many people were out walking that day or tending to their yards. Lots of waves and hellos were exchanged and I got a true "neighborhood" feel. That is the day I got the warm "fuzzies".
While I'm not impressed with the available shopping in the area, I do love most of the dining choices right there. I took my clients to Grill 29 after our home search and it was warm enough to dine outside. It was delicious. My husband and I have eaten at a few of the restaurants there and have enjoyed each one. My buyers loved The Village of Providence.
I can see myself and husband moving there after our daughter gets out of high school in a couple of years. We are not ready for the "55 and over" community. We both still want green space and I really enjoy the nice age mix in the neighborhood. I still enjoy having children around.
I do like the fact that the HOA will keep my neighbors in check for me as well Helps retain property values.
As I have said before, it's a lifestyle choice. That's what is so great about Huntsville. We really do have many choices for everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2008, 11:59 AM

1,806 posts, read 5,704,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southern by choice View Post
Actually, that house appears to be historic, and painted historic colors. You know, the famous "pink ladies", those old Victorian houses ?

Heh...that would be "Painted Ladies", not "Pink", and such a brilliant purple is not historically accurate by any means...the colors were originally muted by limitation of the pigment. However, since I'm a fan of Olde Key West, I have a warming to that purple beast.
You might dig this, and there is some serious color there to be sure:

http://www.paintedladies.com/ (methinks they're trying to sell some books, too.)

http://architecture.suite101.com/art...ed_lady_houses

I have a few other sites bookmarked on the box upstairs somewhere...check out http://www.oldhouseweb.com/forums/ (not a competitor to this site) for some interesting pictures from owners restoring old beauties.)

The boat...eh, whatever. Boats don't bother me. Am used to blue tarps.

The RV setup as living quarters...not so pretty. If I can't put my fancy Victorian greenhouse in my side yard even with my neighbor's blessing, I'd say that rusty camper should have to be in the back yard, too.

Mellow Mushroom...counting the days.

Last edited by 33458; 12-03-2008 at 12:24 PM..

Old 12-03-2008, 12:21 PM

20 posts, read 71,247 times
Default Not all families in Providence are over 55....

there are a number of families with small children, mine included....

Old 12-03-2008, 01:34 PM

hsvkr: I think you misunderstood..what I meant was, I love it because of the children! Who wants to hang out with old farts our own age when we retire, lol. That is what attracts me further to Village of Providence, the age diversity! Love it. Keep the great comments coming and I'm sure I'll have my husband convinced soon...I can't quite convince my husband that this is where we need to make our final plop. I just know it fits our lifestyle perfectly...now to make him "see the light". My job is not to sell homes, I feel I am more of a matchmaker of sorts. Love the thrill of finding the perfect home for someone, knowing they will have years of pure enjoyment in the house they have chosen, to make a home. Maybe my husband needs to have a few more "dates" with Providence to make him fall in love as well.
If Bridge Street would do a master planned community, I'd consider that as well.

Old 12-03-2008, 02:01 PM

Default I was never the type to consider.....

a neighborhood such as Providence. I thought I wanted to keep that 3/4 of a acre lot. Boy, was I mistaken!!!! As far as lawn work goes I now LOVE it. Instead of just cutting the grass; I now get to cut my grass, weed, plant flowers, etc. In general the time to up keep and maintain your house is greatly reduced. Instead I have time to spend doing what I want (like spending time with my kids, going on walks by the creek, taking the kids down to the pool for a swim, etc.)

If anyone has questions about Providence from a residents take, ask away...

Old 12-03-2008, 02:34 PM

hsvkr I have a single gentleman moving from CA. I found a GREAT deal for him in Providence. He is a single dad, full custody of a 2 year old. His concern is no yard. What are your thoughts? What do you enjoy about living there? I appreciate your input and I will pass it along to my client He flies in in the next week or 2. I'm thinking this would be the perfect place for him. There is a short sale home there that would be a real steal for him.

Old 12-03-2008, 10:01 PM

133 posts, read 534,402 times
"Heh...that would be "Painted Ladies", not "Pink", "

OOPs....that is what I meant to write, painted ladies, good catch there, 33458! I am too tired this week !
There are alot of painted ladies in my neighborhood, love 'em.

Old 12-03-2008, 10:26 PM

133 posts, read 534,402 times
ALABAMA’S LARGEST VICTORIAN ERA HISTORIC DISTRICTS
The Old Decatur and Albany Historic Districts of Decatur make up the largest concentration of Victorian era craftsmen and bungalow homes in Alabama. Often referred to as “The Painted Ladies,” some date to the early 1800s, while others were constructed around the turn of the century. Both are listed in the National Register of Historical Places.
The Old Decatur Historic District embraces over 116-acres with houses ranging in age from 1829 to the present. Styles vary from the French-influenced Empire period to the Edwardian Cottage and beyond.
The New Decatur-Albany Historic District was founded by northern businessmen in the late 1800s and was named after the New York state capital. It reflects early 20th century trends such as Colonial Revival, California Cottage, Dutch Colonial, and Frank Lloyd Wright influences.

Old 12-04-2008, 08:57 AM

Default living in Providence

No yard??? That has not stopped my two kids (8 & 5), my neighbors two kids (also 8 & 5), my other neighbors two kids (6 & 4), my other neighbors two kids (10 & 11) from having a GREAT time. (Keep in mind this is just the kids on my street). What do the kids do? Play kick ball, football, basketball, ride bikes in the back alley, and generally run around looking for things to get into Basically the same thing kids do anywhere.

Having "no" yard is really not an issue. I have just enough yard (~35 feet wide by ~70 feet deep) that me and my son can throw football, throw baseball, and other fun stuff without having too much yard to have to constantly keep up with. (Please keep in mind, I'm not "dogging" anyone that has a big yard) The time that I "save" in not having to maintain a big yard is spend with my kids. We go on walks alot. We go down to the greenway and throw rocks in the creek (We even sometimes fish in the creek). We go to one of the parks in Providence. We go to the playground so the kids can swing, slide, climb, other fun stuff. We go to the Meeting House for a swim in the Olympic sized swimming pool or the kiddie pool. One of the cool things that all the kids on my street love to do is collect sticks from the greenway, bring them to my backyard, start a fire in my firepit, and roast mushmellows.

I would say that having "no" yard has really been a blessing to me and my family. We are able to spend more quality time together doing stuff that the kids really enjoy.

And for kids in Providence the activities are WONDERFUL. Our neighborhood puts together MANY activities throughout the year. These include Christmas get together with Santa, swim nights at the pool with a movie playing, Easter get together with the Easter Bunny, Porches and Pumpkins on Halloween (we get together and eat then the kids go around to different houses and play games on their front porches for prizes), Movies in the Park (this Halloween the kids really enjoyed watching Charlie Brown and drinking Hot Choc.), the list of activities could continue......

I hope that I've answered your question. If not let me know and I will try again. BTW, you mention a "short sale" what is the address?

Old 12-04-2008, 09:17 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,952,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsvkr View Post
I have just enough yard (~35 feet wide by ~70 feet deep) ..........

I don't know about the local definition of a "yard", but yours sounds like plenty big yard to me...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area