Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 06:29 PM

692 posts, read 1,502,366 times

Advertisements

I just want to thank everyone for all the great info!! I just returned to IL from an almost week long visit.

While visiting we....

-Ate steak purchased at Star Market-excellent, a must try!! Very close to my local butcher in TX

-Ate at El Coyote- great place!! We went back a second time so that I could have another strawberry margarita and fried ice cream-what a combo, who could ask for more?

-Had a pizza and gelato from Sam and Greg's- an experience like no other, I was impressed-which is hard to do with a chicagoan and out of state pizza.

-Ate at big bob gibson's-not impressed, with all the hype I truly felt let down-but that could have been the day or just that it was hyped so much that my expectations were too high.

-Ate at Five Guys-fries were great, burgers so-so. I put it as one step above fast food. This is a great place, but would have been better served had I expected fast food level not a "backyard burger" type of restaurant.

-The kids played at kids kingdom in dublin park, they kept asking to go back to the castle park, so it was a hit!!!!

-We spent a day at Monte Sano State park-complete with playground time and a hike, it was a good day.

-We took a drive to scottsboro to visit unclaimed baggage-deals were less than spectacular, but it was an experience none-the-less, and a good one in the rain I suppose.

-Took a tour of cathedral caverns, they were pretty cool-especially on a rainy day when there is little else to do.

-We went ice skating at the ice complex downtown, I was impressed, for the size of Huntsville it is a nice complex with 2 sheets of ice to ensure daily public skate times along with lessons and clinics for figure skating and hockey!! They also offer pick up sessions and broom ball for groups(this is the coolest if you have never experienced it).

-Took a trip over to Pointe Mallard-i love the area and even thought about the homes in PM Estates, I love the small town feel and big city closeness of Decatur, but for resale purposes we will end up in HC.

It rained a ton, but this too was OK. We drove around and looked at the areas of town that were holding water.

Overall it was a great visit!! I can't wait to move!!!

On a side note, I can drive over the mountain just fine. I have a feeling that my problem the first time was the hail and darkness that surrounded me....along with not knowing where I was going. Honestly I had it as this huge mountain in my head...for someone who has more than a half million miles under my belt I figured it had to be pretty bad-boy did I feel silly this trip when I realized its true size
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 09:37 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,413,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tammie2 View Post
-Ate at big bob gibson's-not impressed, with all the hype I truly felt let down-but that could have been the day or just that it was hyped so much that my expectations were too high.
Sure you went to Big Bob Gibson's, the one on Sixth Avenue/U.S. 31 in Decatur, and not the Huntsville Gibson's? Big Bob does indeed have off days...I've had Q that had no taste at all. I should have taken it back. But other days, it's awesome.
Quote:
-Took a trip over to Pointe Mallard-i love the area and even thought about the homes in PM Estates, I love the small town feel and big city closeness of Decatur, but for resale purposes we will end up in HC.
Pointe Mallard Estates (as opposed to Point-no-"e" Mallard Park) has excellent resale value...however, you will not find brand-new homes sitting empty, waiting for an occupant. The neighborhood is built out...only a couple of empty lots are left and the owners are sitting on them. Now people are spending money to update them. You should peek over the brick fence at a $100,000 poolhouse going up at one house!

Old 04-06-2009, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
Sure you went to Big Bob Gibson's, the one on Sixth Avenue/U.S. 31 in Decatur, and not the Huntsville Gibson's? Big Bob does indeed have off days...I've had Q that had no taste at all. I should have taken it back. But other days, it's awesome.
That is the one, the place with newspaper/magazine articles framed all over the walls, so many trophies that you can spy them from any point in the restaurant, and the man in the next booth talking about how he knows the turnover is low when he only eats in once a year and recognizes all the waitresses from the previous year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
Pointe Mallard Estates (as opposed to Point-no-"e" Mallard Park) has excellent resale value...however, you will not find brand-new homes sitting empty, waiting for an occupant. The neighborhood is built out...only a couple of empty lots are left and the owners are sitting on them. Now people are spending money to update them. You should peek over the brick fence at a $100,000 poolhouse going up at one house!
WOW, that has to be some poolhouse!!! I was super impressed with the area-the kids were going ga-ga over the proximity of the ice complex, baseball fields, waterslides, etc. My only concern was that resale would be a bit tough-I personally am OK with a gs rating of 5 as I feel that many things are more important in my children's education than a test score(heck, what happens if all the kids have the flu that week?), but many don't feel like that, add that to the fact that it is further out and although I love a small town feel, many people don't. Maybe I will take a closer look and determine the average time on market.

Old 04-06-2009, 10:54 PM

11 posts, read 22,761 times
Quote:
I just want to thank everyone for all the great info!! I just returned to IL from an almost week long visit.

While visiting we....

-Ate steak purchased at Star Market-excellent, a must try!! Very close to my local butcher in TX

-Ate at El Coyote- great place!! We went back a second time so that I could have another strawberry margarita and fried ice cream-what a combo, who could ask for more?

-Had a pizza and gelato from Sam and Greg's- an experience like no other, I was impressed-which is hard to do with a chicagoan and out of state pizza.

-Ate at Five Guys-fries were great, burgers so-so. I put it as one step above fast food. This is a great place, but would have been better served had I expected fast food level not a "backyard burger" type of restaurant.

-The kids played at kids kingdom in dublin park, they kept asking to go back to the castle park, so it was a hit!!!!

-We spent a day at Monte Sano State park-complete with playground time and a hike, it was a good day.

-We took a drive to scottsboro to visit unclaimed baggage-deals were less than spectacular, but it was an experience none-the-less, and a good one in the rain I suppose.

-Took a tour of cathedral caverns, they were pretty cool-especially on a rainy day when there is little else to do.

-We went ice skating at the ice complex downtown, I was impressed, for the size of Huntsville it is a nice complex with 2 sheets of ice to ensure daily public skate times along with lessons and clinics for figure skating and hockey!! They also offer pick up sessions and broom ball for groups(this is the coolest if you have never experienced it).

It rained a ton, but this too was OK. We drove around and looked at the areas of town that were holding water.

Overall it was a great visit!! I can't wait to move!!!

On a side note, I can drive over the mountain just fine. I have a feeling that my problem the first time was the hail and darkness that surrounded me....along with not knowing where I was going. Honestly I had it as this huge mountain in my head...for someone who has more than a half million miles under my belt I figured it had to be pretty bad-boy did I feel silly this trip when I realized its true size
I'm also from the Chicago area and am moving to Huntsville in a few weeks. Thanks for the tips! lol

I'm going to miss this place!

Old 04-06-2009, 11:21 PM

I went to elementary in Sandwich, IL-an hour from the city but in a house that's backyard ended in a corn field, in a subdivision with a lake we used to dig for clams and ride our bikes off the pier into and then junior high and high school in Lisle, IL 20 minutes from the city but in the every city between here and Chicago and another 10-15 minutes out all run together kind of way, so I have experienced the best of both worlds!! I am now in a hotel in Lombard, IL while my home in Houston is being repaired following last years hurricane. My dh is in Huntsville(actually Madison).

I wish you and your family the best of luck, I read your previous post and see that your family will be separated for some time as well, it can be very difficult-somedays worse than others. Overall I believe that we will like Huntsville(and you will also)!! It is a great place for many things and through the many moves I have learned to adapt and of all the places Huntsville is one of the best. There are some areas that the economic situation is bad or homes are outrageously expensive and therefore a home purchase becomes out of the question-and apartment living can get crazy with a family, there are locations that schools are horrid and choices are limited, we have been in locations with limited family activities-heck we have been places with limited activities for anyone other than the cows You won't find any of that in HSV, so overall it is a good choice.

I am sure you have been many places as well being military(my dh is an engineer not military, but when he started we might as well have been a military family the way we moved), and I am sure you will find that there are many worse places you could be and probably have been.

If you need someone to talk with, feel free to send a direct message...we can adapt together

Old 04-07-2009, 12:19 AM

346 posts, read 850,854 times
Tammie..My hubby and I are transplants from Tuscaloosa, which is only a few hours from HSV, but nonetheless are still adapting to the city. El Coyote is one of our favorites and is just down the road from the wonderful (NOT) apartment complex we lived in until first of December last year when we bought our first home. Do not recommend that place and if anyone wants to know the name for future reference, please feel free to DM me.

Anywho, I'm glad you had a positive experience in town. We too love Unclaimed Baggage, but here lately due to the economy, things haven't been that great over there. I think it's been since last summer since we've really found great deals in there. Guess gotta give it time to build back up.

I wish you luck in the move and relocating and hope things go as smooth for you as it was for us. My hubby is also an engineer

Old 04-07-2009, 09:48 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,413,825 times
Quote:
That is the one, the place with newspaper/magazine articles framed all over the walls, so many trophies that you can spy them from any point in the restaurant, and the man in the next booth talking about how he knows the turnover is low when he only eats in once a year and recognizes all the waitresses from the previous year
Yes, they do have their off days. Sometimes they try to rush the smoking process and the results aren't good. Give it a try another time...and don't order the beef! God meant for North Alabama BBQ to be pork! That said,the turkey is good. Chicken is generally always good. Don't get ribs - they just can't see to do them right. And Decatur natives know the white sauce is for chicken, although they seem to be marketing it for everything, and daughter eats it on everything (even dips pizza in it!).

Quote:
WOW, that has to be some poolhouse!!! I was super impressed with the area-the kids were going ga-ga over the proximity of the ice complex, baseball fields, waterslides, etc. My only concern was that resale would be a bit tough-I personally am OK with a gs rating of 5 as I feel that many things are more important in my children's education than a test score(heck, what happens if all the kids have the flu that week?), but many don't feel like that, add that to the fact that it is further out and although I love a small town feel, many people don't. Maybe I will take a closer look and determine the average time on market.
Well, the neighborhood has a pool with the clubhouse...Point Mallard Park is a city-owned park. Resales in PM are pretty quick....exceptions for times like these. But I have seen a couple of sold signs in the last couple of weeks. (Disclaimer - I currently live in Pointe Mallard, but have lived in other parts of Decatur as well.) Although schools city-wide aren't ranked the greatest, certain schools are excellent, especially the magnet elementary school. Like anywhere, if you work with your kids and their schools, and insist that your kids do their homework, attend, etc., they will get a better education.

Feel free to DM me with other Decatur questions. I'm glad you visited Decatur. Many Huntsvillians haven't!

Old 04-07-2009, 09:59 AM

133 posts, read 534,387 times
You have to order the ribs at Big Bob's "dry", theyre really good then. Also, the pork baked potato is really delicious and satisfying. I agree with Southlander, the turkey is really good, too

Old 04-07-2009, 10:07 AM

11 posts, read 22,761 times
Quote:
I went to elementary in Sandwich, IL-an hour from the city but in a house that's backyard ended in a corn field, in a subdivision with a lake we used to dig for clams and ride our bikes off the pier into and then junior high and high school in Lisle, IL 20 minutes from the city but in the every city between here and Chicago and another 10-15 minutes out all run together kind of way, so I have experienced the best of both worlds!! I am now in a hotel in Lombard, IL while my home in Houston is being repaired following last years hurricane. My dh is in Huntsville(actually Madison).

I wish you and your family the best of luck, I read your previous post and see that your family will be separated for some time as well, it can be very difficult-somedays worse than others. Overall I believe that we will like Huntsville(and you will also)!! It is a great place for many things and through the many moves I have learned to adapt and of all the places Huntsville is one of the best. There are some areas that the economic situation is bad or homes are outrageously expensive and therefore a home purchase becomes out of the question-and apartment living can get crazy with a family, there are locations that schools are horrid and choices are limited, we have been in locations with limited family activities-heck we have been places with limited activities for anyone other than the cows You won't find any of that in HSV, so overall it is a good choice.

I am sure you have been many places as well being military(my dh is an engineer not military, but when he started we might as well have been a military family the way we moved), and I am sure you will find that there are many worse places you could be and probably have been.

If you need someone to talk with, feel free to send a direct message...we can adapt together
Hi Tammie! LOL, I know where Sandwich is! I am actually in Plainfield. Since you are probably pretty familiar with Plainfield, you can probably imagine what a big change this will be for me. Not just me, but my kids also. I'm actually more worried about my 8 year old than myself lol.

We have a nice 4 bedroom, 3 bath house with a fully finished basement. However, my husband lost his job up here so we are now having to start all over. Tried everything possible to stay here but it just didn't happen. We couldn't sell our house because the market sucks up here right now, so we are renting it out.
my husband is actually in the reserves, but just went active duty for his short tour to Maryland. When he returns, he will be back doing a regular job.

I love the school here where we are now. We live in a community called Wesmere. We also have the best school anyone could wish for if they have kids. My daughter is half hispanic, but looks full hispanic. I'm German. When we moved here, I was afraid that kids would pick on her because she was practically the only minority in her school, but everyone was so welcoming. Now I'm worried about her because she has not been faced with diversity before.

So when exactly are you moving down to Huntsville?

Old 04-07-2009, 10:35 AM

234 posts, read 707,945 times
Yea, if you look at the overall scores of the Decatur City Schools, it kinda makes every school look sub par, which is far from true. SE Decatur has some of the best schools in the region. Eastwood and Walter Jackson always perform well, and they're just neighborhood schools.

The two magnet schools in Decatur are the only elementary schools in Alabama that offer the IB programme, and the same goes for the middle schools. The high schools have the newest IB programme in the state, and are the only ones north of Birmingham.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area