U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 04:47 PM

3,483 posts, read 5,058,292 times

Advertisements

Any good places to go? Do I need a boat?

Lake Guntersville is an obvious start but where?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 05:43 PM

26,362 posts, read 55,867,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Any good places to go? Do I need a boat?

Lake Guntersville is an obvious start but where?

I've seen people fishing around the north side of the bridge that is highway 72 over the river to Decatur from Huntsville.

Old 12-15-2008, 07:59 PM

13,565 posts, read 23,049,866 times
You can fish off of Hwy 69 on the bank of Lake Guntersville. People park their cars off the road there. You see a lot of ppl fishing in boats all around that area so that is a good sign. There were even a couple of ppl fishing last week when it was so cold.
Here is info on boat rentals
Guntersville Lake Information - Guntersville Lake Alabama Information vacation and Guntersville Lake relocation information

Post link not copyrighted material

Old 12-15-2008, 08:35 PM

Thanks for the link. Lots of good info there that I can use.

Old 12-15-2008, 10:45 PM

5,023 posts, read 10,875,907 times
Fish along U.S. 31/Ala. 20 in Decatur. This is along the causeway and in Day Park, which is the park on the NW side of the river. Wheeler National Wildlife Refuge might have several fishing areas. You might call them to ask. Or go to any bait shop and ask. Happy fishing!

Old 12-16-2008, 06:02 AM

13,565 posts, read 23,049,866 times
I forgot... you can also fish around Guntersville Dam. I know they catch some HUGE catfish there, not sure about bass or other fish

Post link not copyrighted material

Old 12-16-2008, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
I forgot... you can also fish around Guntersville Dam. I know they catch some HUGE catfish there, not sure about bass or other fish
Oh Keeper you let the cat out of the bag. It is suppose to be a "secret spot" for many!

A friend took me there about a month ago and made me sworn to secrecy. We only had about an hour before sundown but I caught a ~3 lbm stripe bass there.

Old 12-19-2008, 07:10 AM

5,023 posts, read 10,875,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
Around all the dams are generally good fishing spots (at least from what I hear...I don't fish!). Wheeler Dam (near Courtland), Wilson Dam (Florence) and the lakes backed up behind them. Someone once told me the deepest spots are behind the dams = the coolest waters = the biggest catfish.

There have been more than 1 84-pound catfish reported. A few years ago, a couple of guys cornered a big 'un in a shallow pool off the river. There was a photo...the fish was as long as the guys were tall - scary! Turns out they had had a few beers on their fishing trip, so nobody believed them at first...bet that was hilarious to watch!

Old 12-19-2008, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
Around all the dams are generally good fishing spots (at least from what I hear...I don't fish!). Wheeler Dam (near Courtland), Wilson Dam (Florence) and the lakes backed up behind them. Someone once told me the deepest spots are behind the dams = the coolest waters = the biggest catfish.
Thanks for the suggestion!

Yup, I used to fish that deep water pond, called the Pacific Ocean, and we do get some bigger fish that way.

Quote:
There have been more than 1 84-pound catfish reported.
I wonder if catfish fight this hard

http://fishingvideos.com/news/media/...XHrod%20sm.jpg

Last edited by Keeper; 12-19-2008 at 04:07 PM.. Reason: sorry photo is copyright

Old 12-19-2008, 12:06 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,762,109 times
Fishing... somehow, someway, I never actually learned how to fish. Though it seems like kind of a slow hobby so I don't know that it would keep my interest.

Picked up some gear and was intent on learning a few years back when I lived on the MS coast, but then we were wiped out by Katrina and poof... there goes my stuff; still haven't made another run at it. Maybe some day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area