Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 04:55 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,420,189 times

Advertisements

This thread is more than a year old. The OP is long gone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2009, 08:42 AM

3 posts, read 6,162 times
Default Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Miller View Post
I just recently found my family's dream home located in Hartselle, AL. I was wondering if anyone could give me any feed back on Hartselle and the general Decatur area? We had considered moving to the Tri Cities area in TN but have found home prices up there quite a bit more expensive up there. I was wondering as to sales tax, property tax, homeowners ins, auto ins, utilities, and most importantly schools. We are looking to move from FL so anything will be an improvement from down here. Thanks for any help Ya'll can offer it will be much appreciated..............
Please check the neighborhood carefully here in Hartselle before you buy.
I moved here to find that the dog laws are very lax. You can have as many dogs as you want as long as they are in a fenced yard. I see and hear 21 dogs from my home. Barking dogs wake me in the morning, during the night, and I go to sleep to barking dogs. In talking to other people in other neighborhoods I hear the same stories. I live next door to four dogs who bark day and night and whose feces is never picked up. I have inquired at the police dept., city hall, and the dog pound only to be told that is acceptable. Dog feces should be picked up but no one enforces this.
If you like dogs and this is acceptable to you this is the place for you.
I am presently considering moving back to my former state.

Old 03-20-2009, 09:22 AM

3 posts, read 6,162 times
Default Dogs and yards

Please check the neighborhood carefully here in Hartselle before you buy.
I moved here to find that the dog laws are very lax. You can have as many dogs as you want as long as they are in a fenced yard. I see and hear 21 dogs from my home. Barking dogs wake me in the morning, during the night, and I go to sleep to barking dogs. In talking to other people in other neighborhoods I hear the same stories. I live next door to four dogs who bark day and night and whose feces is never picked up. I have inquired at the police dept., city hall, and the dog pound only to be told that most of this is acceptable.If you like dogs and this is acceptable to you this is the place for you.
Also, unless you are in a more upscale neighborhood you will find the yards kept messy, cars parked on front lawns, and garbage cans kept for days on curbs or stored in front driveways.
This is a mind your own business and live and let live community.
I am presently checking real estate ads from my former state.

Old 03-20-2009, 12:16 PM

Wow. That's awful.
Leave the entire state because you don't like the town? Seems like you could move to a different town, or area.

Old 03-21-2009, 07:08 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,191,933 times
I suspect the laws regarding the dogs are on the books you just need to talk to the right person. Most small cities I have checked use the same ordinances regarding animal control. I would go to the court house and check the ordinances since they do not appear to be online. Call the mayor or city council and complain. If the dogs bark at night after 9pm they are disturbing the peace.

Old 08-15-2009, 03:02 PM

7 posts, read 16,090 times
Seeking current "quality of life" insights about Hartselle, AL My wife and I are both senior citizens and we currently live in NE Florida. It is far too expensive to live in Florida these days, and we live near Jacksonville, FL ("murder capital of Florida" for nearly a decade!).

Any updates on housing, police protection, societal morality issues, etc. will be deeply appreciated.

Old 08-15-2009, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Avery Blair View Post
Seeking current "quality of life" insights about Hartselle, AL My wife and I are both senior citizens and we currently live in NE Florida. It is far too expensive to live in Florida these days, and we live near Jacksonville, FL ("murder capital of Florida" for nearly a decade!).

Any updates on housing, police protection, societal morality issues, etc. will be deeply appreciated.
Mr. Blair,
There are, as far as I know, NO Hartselle posters here. I am in Decatur (and there are only a couple of us). Hartselle still has excellent schools that ranked highly in the test results released last year. Housing - several new subdivisions, and a very affordable historic district. ValleyMLS.com can show listings under "Morgan County." You can specify "Hartselle High School" to see listings inside the town limits, but surrounding areas are also known as Hartselle even though they are not inside the town limits.

Police protection - there is a full-time police department. Not sure what you mean by "societal morality issues." The town is dry and the surrounding county is dry (and in Alabama, dry means totally dry - no alcohol at all) but nearby Decatur is wet, except no Sunday sales.

It is a small town. It does not have the zoning restrictions of bigger towns, but it does have zoning.

A personal visit is highly recommended.

Old 08-17-2009, 02:17 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,191,933 times
I can't tell you about Hartselle but I can tell you about living in a small town in AL. I moved to Arab from Tampa. The ppl are all very nice and friendly. Your neighbors will come over to welcome you. For me, I bought in a neighborhood of older houses with 3/4 acre lots. No cookie cutter homes although some do resemble each other. Church is BIG here. Everyone will invite you to their church. You can probably find everything you want at either WalMart or other stores nearby. Property taxes and HOI are cheap compared to FL. Auto ins is about the same

I love living in Arab. It is very safe with a few breakins or someone stealing something from the yard or from someone's car who left their car unlocked.

I agree with Southlander, you should come up for a visit. We do have 4 seasons. There are tornadoes or at least tornado warnings which can be un-nerving when you first move here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area