Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 09:14 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times

Advertisements

This thread on the California forum,
A Serious and Provoking Question for California Natives
prompted me to start this thread, on the Huntsville forum:
Does it seem that the majority of people living in expensive communities are from another state (or even foreign countries), most notably Virginia and California? Does it seem like the nicer subdivisions and communities in Huntsville and Madison county are filled with out of staters and foreigners? When you walk around are you constantly meeting non-native Huntsvillians and non-native Alabamians? With all this, how do you native Alabamians and Huntsvillians feel when you see your most expensive and prized land under ownership of out of state, and out country people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2009, 09:29 AM

2,126 posts, read 6,803,734 times
I think it depends on what you consider as "native". To me it seems like a lot of the higher end property is owned by old money Huntsvillians (some of whom have serious money) or people who transplated here 20-30+ years ago and started a company that has taken off. In Huntsville, those people are "native" to everyone except the old money crowd. There are "new money" areas like Hampton Cove and parts of Madison that are filled with transplants, but I've never noticed animosity. Very few areas are truly out of reach for someone with a decent job, I think that makes a difference because a comfortable quality of life is attainable for most people.

Old 01-02-2009, 09:37 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,962,729 times
Read your link and replied.

I think people who cling onto the proud heritage of "native" simply feel a sense of comfort with surroundings, people and rituals that they're accustomed to. Unfortunately in today's business environment, relocation across states every so often is a fact of life. The fact that Huntsville/ Madison area is not a stereotype "deep south", in that it accepts outsiders and have modern day conveniences, was a big factor in our decision to relocate here.

Old 01-02-2009, 10:27 AM

369 posts, read 1,146,430 times
I think anyone, anywhere who makes a fuss about "native" vs. "non-native" and/or is not welcoming to newcomers is a short-sighted, narrow-minded nincompoop.

Old 01-02-2009, 10:41 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
how do you native Alabamians and Huntsvillians feel when you see your most expensive and prized land under ownership of out of state, and out country people?
A 1/4 acre lot in a subdivision is the "most expensive and prized" land?

Old 01-02-2009, 10:50 AM

2,126 posts, read 6,803,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
If it is on Monte Sano, Huntsville Mtn or Green Mtn and has a view, then yes.

Old 01-02-2009, 10:51 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Well, it all depends.

I think newcomers are welcomed without reservations. It's what they do after the moving van is unpacked that makes them accepted or not. Here's what I've observed in my 16 years in Alabama:

1) Three days after you move here, stop grousing about how much better things were in Ohio or Oregon. If things were so great there, you'd have a job there. We like things the way things are. What's more, we're probably already aware of our issues, and have steadily worked to make things better. The progress I've experienced here is pretty remarkable. This state has come a long way in a short time, and we certainly don't need your pointing out all our flaws.

2) The culture is different here. Strangers talk to strangers. People expect you to say Please and Thank You. Kids are expected to be polite. And -- GASP -- total strangers might, on the rare occasion, invite you to attend church with them, but won't be offended if you politely decline. You can either complain about it or just accept it. After all, if you moved to Saudi Arabia or Italy or Japan, would you talk about how stupid everybody there was, too?

3) People here are more outgoing. If somebody initiates a conversation with you, invites you to a party, or tries to reach out in some other fashion, it is rude to gape at them as if they're trying to run a con game on you. People tend to be friendly for no other reason than to be friendly. If you cannot accept their invitation to have coffee or come for dinner, say it with deep regret and offer to reciprocate sometime in the future, for you are glad that they reached out to you.

There you go. Do those three things, and I guarantee you'll be accepted and embraced quickly. I know we were.

Old 01-02-2009, 10:58 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I suppose if one out of stater or foreigner bought one lot on 1/4 acre it wouldn't be a big deal.

What happens when you multiply that by 10,000?

I have spoken personally with residents of Big Cove the community SE of downtown Huntsville and the site of several subdivisions . These residents have families that go back to the early 1800s.

How do I know? I've had conversations with Mr. Sibley who wrote the book.

Old 01-02-2009, 11:30 AM

976 posts, read 2,683,855 times
Some people on this forum might say I dont like newcomers to the state, but that's not true. I want new people in the state of Alabama because it helps the state grow. But when some Newcomers or locals say things like "there's Huntsville and the rest of Alabama". It doesn't sit well with me.

Old 01-02-2009, 11:33 AM

1,960 posts, read 4,663,838 times
The problem as I see it is that there's a pervasive attitude of complacency towards the idea of "transplatism", which is the real problem; transplants snatching up the perceived "high value" qualities of a geographical location is only but a symptom of the problem. This is to say, ever since the corporate state (military industrial complex included) decided to sell americans on the globalization mantra, it became harder to justify among "natives" the non-economic value of regional cultural homogenity as an ingredient for social long-term stability. That is because people are too busy chasing a salary across state lines for their entire productive lives, and rationalizing it as an inherently valuable pursuit. Americans are remarkably aloof to the logical extrapolation of their domestic transplantism and their globalized fate, as if they possessed the right to stop the globalization train at the coasts at their choosing. Meanwhile, the law of unintended consequences is taking place and the coasts of this country are being repatriated by foreign hands, hands who do not share nor genuinely care or appreciate the cultural idiosyncrasies of said regions, never mind the country. All the while, Americans in places like Huntsville shrug their shoulders while providing the standard "I moved here for the great salary and low cost of living" while shunning the idea of homesteading as both uncultured (perhaps politically incorrect) and economically impractical (the latter which is true but only because of your complacency, not because the job fairy made it so). The only reason why people find comfort in said attitude is because they haven't been asked to move to Bangladesh, yet, and find such proposition highly unlikely as if Huntsville possessed such a rather different geographical construct than that of Central Asia. If that was the case, why are companies not finding the talent there organically and hence the transplantism prevail? Because of course there isn't anything organically beneficial to conducting said work there (the transplants would disagree of course, it's their livelihood) and that you're really a corporate decision away from being told to either pack up and chase the job at the expense of said cultural stability, or die poor and lonely because you're not "globally conscious". Gimme a break. Americans tout globalization as if they sat in the capital owner side of capitalism, when in reality they are in the proletariat side of capitalism, along the billion chinese and the bangladeshis.... this is the worst case of house slaves ever. Wake up.

Look, I wasn't particularly benefited from the cultural idiosyncracies of Alabama during my tenure in Tuscaloosa, but even I can recognize the peril that lies in the cultural balkanization provided by transplatism, BRAC job be damned. There is no melting pot, that's a myth, America's cultural benefit of transplantism is that of a cultural emulsion, not a melting pot. So you end up with a bunch of transplants who do not particularly find value in the cultural context in which they live (though they'll never publicly verbalize this) and a native population that ends up literally holding up the empty bag (lack of access to said prized qualities via overpopulation). The case example of California provided by the OP exemplifies a dramatic outcome, which is why many East/West Coasters have fled to the Midwest and South, but to believe that they'll stop in the Coasts and leave your Huntsville dream untouched is outright disingenous. It is one thing to ask AL folk how they feel about a bunch of California/New England/DC transplants and their impact on real estate, traffic and cost of living increases, it is another one entirely to ask the transplant how THEY feel about the logical extrapolation of their own behavior, since after all they are the ones running away from something. If I was a native of HSV I wouldn't feel particularly good about the precedent these job/migratory population influxes make in the context of my cultural and economic identity, then again I'm a homesteader and I'm fighting an uphill battle of my own in an economic environment that doesn't take too well to those who refuse to pack up and leave at the snap of a finger....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area