Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 08:51 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,704,418 times

Advertisements

You are all quite the source...;P

Husband suggested it might have been a skunk, though I did not see any contrast in colors - do they come in a monochromatic version? Will Google again.
It was a big as a well-fed cat if not a bit larger, but no where near the size of our raccoons and possums. I first thought - baby whatever-the-heck-those-things-are...that big-_ _ _ rat that lives in Louisiana 'some folk dare consume. Can't think of the name...Nutria. But then again, no.

It was the elusive Monte Sano catkoonrat!

P.S. I am always up at 2:30. I am an insomniac. Peri-menopausal, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2009, 09:00 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,897,469 times
Possibly Richard Simmons?

Old 01-06-2009, 02:30 PM

286 posts, read 1,085,719 times
I would have shot the dang critter coming up on my property like that. Then fed em to the crows. You don't want none them creatures thinking they can just come and go on your land. Maybe put some poison out.

Old 01-06-2009, 05:35 PM

No poison...might find the deer and the fox, and I quite like the deer and the fox.

Now if that fox would come around more often, I might see less of this catkoonrat thing. Then again - I've been in the house for a year now, am always up at obscene hours and this is the first time I've seen the...catkoonrat...thing. I'm not worried, just curious. Like to know what I'm looking at.

Old 01-09-2009, 11:43 AM

4,739 posts, read 10,434,489 times
I've seen groundhogs / woodchucks (large dark brown animal) at the Arsenal, but I wouldn't expect to see one in your neighborhood (IIRC they like flatland / wetland - just like skunks). If it was a nutria-looking beastie, though, it may have been a groundhog (maybe dislocated from Harris Hill construction and looking for a new home).

Not enough water in your neighborhood for beaver or otter (but they live around here too).

Old 01-09-2009, 12:33 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
Until you started talking about how small it was, my first thought was panther. Could it be a baby panther?

Old 01-09-2009, 12:52 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,415,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
I've seen groundhogs / woodchucks (large dark brown animal) at the Arsenal, but I wouldn't expect to see one in your neighborhood (IIRC they like flatland / wetland - just like skunks). If it was a nutria-looking beastie, though, it may have been a groundhog (maybe dislocated from Harris Hill construction and looking for a new home).

Not enough water in your neighborhood for beaver or otter (but they live around here too).
I'm thinking it was probably a groundhog/woodchuck. They occasionally trundled through our yard in our old neighborhood, which was probably half a mile from and across a busy highway from the Tennessee River. So you don't have to be right on water. The critters can have a surprisingly large range...specially when they're looking for something to eat.

Old 01-09-2009, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post

True, dat...but there is a small creek just beyond the end of this street, right down from me...well, that's what the map shows, anyway. Might be that canal that runs under Oakwood?

Ground Hog...could be. There's construction up the hill from me in the new McMansionland, so who knows?

Anyway, the creature has not been seen since. I'll keep looking.

Old 01-10-2009, 08:10 AM

1,618 posts, read 4,787,438 times
Quote:
Until you started talking about how small it was, my first thought was panther. Could it be a baby panther?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure there are no panthers native to Alabama.

Old 01-10-2009, 08:37 AM

133 posts, read 534,402 times
When we lived on post at Ft Rucker, Al, there were lynx ( small bobcats ) . The MPs used to tell us dont worry, theyre more afraid of you than you should be of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area