Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2007, 02:01 PM

29 posts, read 117,004 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
When we were looking at real estate in Huntsville we drove past Redstone Arsenal several times. They had what looked like controlled fires and smoke you could see from miles around. What do you they do exactly at Redstone Arsenal? I don't think I would enjoy living around that area even if it is brush they are burning which I am sure it is not
Please forgive my complete ignorance, but someone in a previous post made a statement about weapons dumped at Monsanto. First of all where is Monsanto - I did a google map search and it seems to be near Lake Guntersville State Park? and second, were they joking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2007, 02:52 PM

485 posts, read 1,454,994 times
I think you are referring to Monte Sano, which is mountain on the eastern side of Huntsville. When I first came Huntsville I thought people were saying Monsanto, but it has nothing to do with the chemical company. As far as what goes on at the arsenal someone else will have to tell you. I am pretty sure they are not disposing of chemicals or anything like that.

Old 03-07-2007, 03:39 PM

346 posts, read 1,778,780 times
EOD may have done some house cleaning.

Old 03-08-2007, 11:56 AM

Default What is EOD? and thanks MarySally

Twostep what is EOD?

Old 03-08-2007, 12:16 PM

Explosive Ordnance Disposal

Old 03-08-2007, 10:12 PM

73 posts, read 434,048 times
Monsanto does have a facility east of the Guntersville State Park , but they only reclaim chemicals , never been a hazard in their operation . As far as RSA , they have a large ordinance field down near the Tennessee River , where they blow up old mortar shells and munitions from Army Tanks but there has not been a concern for the Huntsville , they use that field for training purposes . RSA is made up of mostly Army personal along with support contractors for the Dept. Of Defense , it also is home for Army Aviation , mainly Black hawk . although there are several other aviation groups scheduled to move to the area over the next couple years. RSA also is the home of the Marshall Space Flight Center , they take up about 1/4 of the Arsenal . This is the birth place of the Space Shuttle , while driving down the Parkway to the southern end of Huntsville you can see the towering buildings which are test sites from the old Apollo Space Flight Program , they are still used occasionally for testing rocket motors. Huntsville and the Red Stone Arsenal have lived in perfect harmony ever since it was built in the 40's , it's existence is responsible for most all the High Tech jobs that have located here and even developed here . On the subject of control burning , that does not happen very often , and when it does it usually involves things like scrap building material , old pallets and discarded shipping creates , and every now and then maybe an old building will be burned for Fire Department training and to get rid of it to make room for a new structure , They had a big control burn just the other night , just a lot of smoke nothing serious , Hope this eases your mind a bit, but there's no longer anything out there that would put the city in jeopardy.

Old 03-09-2007, 10:21 AM

Thanks so much Rick in Dixie for the great info and putting my mind at ease

Old 03-09-2007, 01:12 PM

"The war between the States" is over :>)

TGIF
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area