Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 05:25 PM

55 posts, read 295,198 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I was just wondering how safe is it? I know my buddy and his wife moved up to Madison last May and within 2 weeks she was robbed in a Target in Madison.

Is this an isolated incident? Or are the crimes rampant but small in nature? All that happen was someone snatched out of her arms and ran out the store. So it was like she was at gun/knife point. Even with that said it does concern me.

I have been telling my wife for nearly 5 + years I want to retire in Huntsville, AL. Funny thing is I've never been there. But with this great site and others it just makes it feel so appealing and alive. Not to mention I'll be retiring from the Army (Pilot) with a Masters Degree in Aeronautical Science w/ Specializations in Aerospace System Safety and another in Management. Plus my wife has a BS with minors in OSHA/Safety/Management. Based on research and our degrees it seems we'd have great shot at landing a job One can only hope!!!

I have 4 small children so other then Education there Safety is just as important.

P.S. If anyone finds any great leads on 3 to 10 acre lot give me a shout. Subdivisions are ok but I want room to spread my arms (but having neighbors is great too). Where I come from 3 to 5 acre lot subdivisions is the norm (Ohio).

Take care and god bless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 08:07 PM

369 posts, read 1,140,314 times
Crime rates near or somewhat above the national average for the city of Huntsville, comparable to, say, Wichita, Kansas. The crimes tend to be concentrated in certain run-down areas of the city.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Suburban crimes rates (e.g. Madison city) are well below national average.

Last edited by Yac; 11-19-2009 at 06:54 AM..

Old 01-16-2009, 08:19 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,420,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddiero View Post
I have 4 small children

any great leads on 3 to 10 acre lot give me a shout. Subdivisions are ok but I want room to spread my arms
I have four small kids too.

You may like three to ten acres but your kids probably won't like it. Having lots of land around you means not having lots of (neighborhood) kids around you. Lots of land reduces the "kid density". Makes it tough for kids to spontaneously go out and goof off with the neighbors.

Also, the typical guy who owns 5-10 acre lots (your neighbors) is retired, has no kids, and only leaves his house to go to church, go to the doctor, or eat at Bob Evans.
"There's no one to play with here. Gee mom, why can't you find me a play date?"

http://www.momnonnie.com/images/youthBored.jpg (broken link)
(image not protected by copyright)

Last edited by Charles; 01-16-2009 at 08:41 PM..

Old 01-16-2009, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I have four small kids too.

You may like three to ten acres but your kids probably won't like it. Having lots of land around you means not having lots of (neighborhood) kids around you. Lots of land reduces the "kid density". Makes it tough for kids to spontaneously go out and goof off with the neighbors.

Also, the typical guy who owns 5-10 acre lots (your neighbors) is retired, has no kids, and only leaves his house to go to church, go to the doctor, or eat at Bob Evans.
"There's no one to play with here. Gee mom, why can't you find me a play date?"

(image not protected by copyright)

Ok how about 1 to 3 acre???? I just don't want to reach out and touch my neighbors house you know!!! But you know I live in that type of community now subdivision 1/4 acre to 1/2 acre lot. But still no kids to play with.

I guess I've been spoiled throughout life then again it may be the age I am now vs. the kids of today. But kids just don't play outside like the once did. I keep being told it's too hot in the summer to play so they all stay inside. We didnt' really realize how many neighbor kids were around until the first day of school at the bus stop I was like wow there are kids who live here.

Is that a common thing througout Alabama? Or just here in Montgomery/Wetumpka area??? Kind of part of the reason I wanted 5 to 10 acre lot to put a pond on it to fish in and possibly ride 4 wheeler; or if it has some woods go exploring through them. But I guess if there are things like that to take the kids too that would be just as good.

All that said I still am in love with Huntsville. I'm hoping its all I think it is. But I do plan to find out. But I got to find me a 1,2 or 3 acre lots atleast...I got to be able to breathe : )

Thank you for your time.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:43 PM

[quote=mm42;7033256]Crime rates near or somewhat above the national average for the city of Huntsville, comparable to, say, Wichita, Kansas. The crimes tend to be concentrated in certain run-down areas of the city.

Thanks....btw noway I'm moving to Kansas I'm too big of a Nascar fan to move that far west. Another reason I love Alabama...that and tax breaks for military retiree's. I don't what it is about Bama but from first time I came here back in 1990 for learn to work on Choppers it has felt like home. I could even consider living in LA but I prefer the more traditional 4 seasons; the fall colors, mountains, lakes etc etc. Plus, from research Huntsville/Madison etc have great schools which is very, very, very, very important. If UAH had told me sooner they'd give me in state rates I'd be in Huntsville now vs. couple years from now Army wouldn't approve a program that charged out of state rates so I"m currently attending AUM.

Again thank you. If any of you get any hot leads give me a shout please!!!! 1 to 3 acre thats my final offer lol. Ok maybe 3/4 acre but I draw the line there!

Last edited by Yac; 11-19-2009 at 06:55 AM..

Old 01-16-2009, 10:48 PM

[quote=mm42;7033256]Crime rates near or somewhat above the national average for the city of Huntsville, comparable to, say, Wichita, Kansas. The crimes tend to be concentrated in certain run-down areas of the city.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

So it appears it's mostly property crime for both areas. I guess that's not too bad. 84 too many rapes though in Huntsville though Anyone know if that's mostly in any particular area? I guess what I'm asking is there certain areas you don't go out at night (E,W,N,S)?????

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Yac; 09-29-2009 at 08:16 AM..

Old 01-17-2009, 10:40 AM

964 posts, read 2,640,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddiero View Post
Ok how about 1 to 3 acre???? I just don't want to reach out and touch my neighbors house you know!!! But you know I live in that type of community now subdivision 1/4 acre to 1/2 acre lot. But still no kids to play with.

I guess I've been spoiled throughout life then again it may be the age I am now vs. the kids of today. But kids just don't play outside like the once did.

Thank you for your time.
I think a lot just depends on the specific neighborhood as well. I think 1/4 to 1/2 acre lots are just perfect in terms of not being too close to your neighbors, but maintaining the advantage of having kids close by to play with. I have four girls and we live in Twelve Stones in Hampton Cove. Our neighborhood is awesome. There are a ton of kids, and our girls are outside quite a bit playing with their friends having a great time. I enjoy socializing with the other moms as well. I can't imagine living on a lot of acreage again. We did that for two years and really missed the camaraderie that comes with living in a neighborhood with more density. Wait until you are retired for the three acre lot, your kids will thank you in the long run!

Last edited by proudmommy; 01-17-2009 at 10:54 AM..

Old 01-17-2009, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proudmommy View Post
I think a lot just depends on the specific neighborhood as well. I think 1/4 to 1/2 acre lots are just perfect in terms of not being too close to your neighbors, but maintaining the advatage of having kids close by to play with. I have four girls and we live in Twelve Stones in Hampton Cove. Our neighborhood is awesome. There are a ton of kids, and our girls are outside quite a bit playing with their friends havng a great time. Not to mention, I enjoy socializing with the other moms as well. I can't imagine living on a lot of acreage again. We did that for two years and really missed the comraderie that comes with living in a nieghborhood with more density. Wait until you are retired for the 3 acre lot, your kids will thank you in the long run!
Thanks for the food for thought. I guess I could always buy some land for occassional weekend retreats to camp out, chill out, and grill. But find a nice subdivision to raise my children. I know thats what my dad did. He bought 13 acres and had 2 ponds on it. One we fished in the other we swam in. Years later we built a huge shelter house then about 10 years later after we all bolted he built a house on it.

I still wouldn't mind finding a large lot though from your advice I guess needs to be 3/4 to 1 1/2 acre. I just know I wouldn't like 1/4 acre lot...and 1/2 acre would be pushing it. I know my wife would want a pool as well....which is fine but I'd like some yard still left to toss the football around etc.

Old 01-19-2009, 12:01 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,683,551 times
We are all loving half an acre and plan to expand as able, if...but where we are, as previously mentioned, socialization requires the effort to go out and find people - more specifically children. There are kids here, but I don't often see them. My daughter has face time at school and once solid friendships form, I'll be traveling all across town to keep her involved.

As a child we had large lots (over two acres at one point) but there were other children in the area. Once 'school age' we'd all meet at a local park or house, walking ourselves there if it was only a couple miles.
A different decade, free to roam and explore. Now...well, not so safe for Jr. to wander alone through the woods for a play-date.

Old 02-08-2009, 01:41 AM

298 posts, read 713,342 times
I think that there are some very safe neighborhoods in Huntsville. This place does have it's share of crime though. In addition to finding a safe community to live in (which is one of the most important ways you can keep yourself safe in my opinion) you should also always make it a habit to lock your car doors before and after entering and exiting the car, keep your house locked up, don't keep valuables in plain site in your car, try not to wear very noticeable, expensive watches, jewelry etc.

I think that in Huntsville, if you pick the right neighborhood and use common sense (such as doing the things mentioned above), you should be fine crime wise.

It is not a bad idea to live on acreage with children. Just make sure to bring your children to the various extracurricular activities at school and/or church and they will get enough social time. I think giving children the opportunity to play outdoors on some acreage can be really good for them. There are gives and takes in every situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area