Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2009, 09:45 PM

55 posts, read 296,034 times

Advertisements

Is it possible to build homes with basements in NA? I imagine if so next step is finding a builder that actually knows what they are doing and does it properly. I need a "MAN CAVE"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 11:34 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,420,189 times
Basements are rare around here. Honestly, you might want to search the Alabama and Huntsville forum before you post all these questions.
Moderator cut: comment

Last edited by Keeper; 01-17-2009 at 08:16 AM.. Reason: I know.. but that is what we are here for :)

Old 01-17-2009, 05:10 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddiero View Post
Is it possible to build homes with basements in NA? I imagine if so next step is finding a builder that actually knows what they are doing and does it properly. I need a "MAN CAVE"
Anything is possible, but is it common and realistic? Not sure. I didn't see too many homes with basements when looking for homes here. There are a few with walkouts.

Just for fun I did a search on Valleymls and (supposedly) found 255 homes with basements in its database.

So, go here

ValleyMLS.com

and click on Property, and "More Search Options" and click the "Bsmt/Ranch" box and use the filters as you like.

Old 01-17-2009, 08:18 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,191,933 times
I have seen a few basement houses here in Arab, but there are more tri-level homes where the homes are built on a slope.. not sure if I explained that correctly

Old 01-17-2009, 08:20 AM

55 posts, read 296,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
I have seen a few basement houses here in Arab, but there are more tri-level homes where the homes are built on a slope.. not sure if I explained that correctly

THanks. I understand exactly what you mean!

Old 01-17-2009, 08:45 AM

369 posts, read 1,146,215 times
Most of the houses in our neighborhood have a basement or at least a drive-under garage like ours.

Generally speaking, there are plenty of basements in the hilly areas, virtually none in the "valley floor" areas.

Even Hampton Cove has some basements in the part that runs up the hills behind the waterfall.

One odd thing here compared to Atlanta is that finished basement space is counted as square footage like the rest of the house. In Atlanta, finished basement was only considered about 50% of the value of normal floored construction.

LOTS of the basement space you find here is finished. Most of the new construction here in SE Huntsville (what little there is) will include finsihing the basement from the start.

Old 03-03-2009, 07:56 AM

205 posts, read 589,992 times
Our house, built in 1939, has a basement. It is also in a flat area. It has windows (2 window wells in the front) all around. However,it is a bit uncommon. It was probably the deciding factor for me to purchase this house... Sure, it can be done. The reason it is uncommon is that the frost line is so shallow here that footings don't have to be dug as deep as the would up north. If you have to dig 4.5' down already to construct a footing, adding another 4' for a basement isn't a major cost. Here, you have to dig another 6-7' down in order to put in a basement. So it isn't a no-brainer.

I would, however, specify a basement on any new build I did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area