Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 09:19 PM

1,134 posts, read 2,867,377 times

Advertisements

I have.Maybe someone here can help me out with a little federal income tax question I have at the end of this post.

Here goes: My wife and I are planning to claim the first time homebuyer tax credit on our 09 taxes (i.e. 2010). The credit is $7,500.

As a first time homebuyer, every little bit of downpayment I can come up with is helpful - so I'm thinking to reduce my tax withholding so I keep more of every check (besides the fact that I'm over-withheld right now anyway). So I went and did a bunch of IRS worksheets (pub 919) to figure what my withholding/allowances should be, in order to submit a new W4. Well, the allowances seem way high. In my family there is myself, my wife, and my daughter. I end up with 3 allowances from the W4, and the spreadsheet meant to adjust for the anticipated credit amounts to another 12. This is just with a standard deduction and the first time homebuyer credit.

15 allowances! Anyone ever done this and seen such a high number?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 04:35 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DvlsAdvc8 View Post
I have.Maybe someone here can help me out with a little federal income tax question I have at the end of this post.

Here goes: My wife and I are planning to claim the first time homebuyer tax credit on our 09 taxes (i.e. 2010). The credit is $7,500.

As a first time homebuyer, every little bit of downpayment I can come up with is helpful - so I'm thinking to reduce my tax withholding so I keep more of every check (besides the fact that I'm over-withheld right now anyway). So I went and did a bunch of IRS worksheets (pub 919) to figure what my withholding/allowances should be, in order to submit a new W4. Well, the allowances seem way high. In my family there is myself, my wife, and my daughter. I end up with 3 allowances from the W4, and the spreadsheet meant to adjust for the anticipated credit amounts to another 12. This is just with a standard deduction and the first time homebuyer credit.

15 allowances! Anyone ever done this and seen such a high number?
Yes. I have, and I remember going through the same exercise you are going through. (I have four kids, a maxed out 401(k), one income in the household, and a mortgage so my federal taxes are quite low.) I think I set mine at ten or so even though the calcs say go higher. What I remember reading somewhere (maybe six or seven years ago - things may be different) is that when you set your federal higher than 10 or 11 I forgot, you sort of get recategorized in the eyes of the IRS. I think they will more likely scrutinize your tax form, perhaps increase the odds of an audit. Not sure how true this is but somehow you raise a yellow flag with them. Probably means absolutely nothing especially if your taxes are totally legit.

Ideally you want to fine tune your allowances so high that you owe the most money in April without having to pay a penalty. Getting a refund is not a good thing.

Old 01-28-2009, 05:36 AM

871 posts, read 2,885,342 times
Mine is M-11. No issues here.

Here is a great W-4 Calculator:
PaycheckCity.com | Form W-4 Assistant

Old 01-28-2009, 08:38 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,962,729 times
What Charles said. You can claim any # of deduction you want during the year as long as everything is settled (owe tax paid) when you file a tax return.

But I would recommend you consult a tax accountant, generally they have a good idea how high of a deduction you can go without triggering an audit, as well as all the legal deductions you're entitle to. It's a good idea to use a tax accountant anyway, previously I'd slave away 4~5 days doing my taxes and now 1/2 hour with her I am all done!!

Old 01-28-2009, 09:39 AM

Very appreciative of your comments. When I saw that 15 number I started thinking "hmm... now what did I screw up?" ha ha

I typically use turbotax.com for my taxes and its so simple its usually done within 30-45 minutes. My company uses a dataprovider for W2s that Turbotax can link up with and just import so you don't have to type everything in - just look it over. Very nice feature.

Thanks again everyone.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:50 AM

I used to buy the turbotax software for both federal & state versions every year. My experience has been that you can 'tweak' your deductions and the outcomes can be very different. The software is not smart enough to give you tax advice. For the price of software, I can have an experienced tax accountant that provides advice for next year as well as knowing all the pitfalls in triggering audits.

Old 01-28-2009, 11:16 AM

369 posts, read 1,146,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
You can claim any # of deduction you want during the year as long as everything is settled (owe tax paid) when you file a tax return.
Not quite - if you underwithold too much you can be charged interest and penalties:

Tax Basics, Ch. 1: Understanding and avoiding underwithholding

Old 01-28-2009, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm42 View Post
Not quite - if you underwithold too much you can be charged interest and penalties:

You're correct!!! I should've qualify my statement to "... as long as you don't owe more than $1,000 in taxes when filing..."

See IRS guideline on underpayment
Tax Topics - Topic 306 Penalty for Underpayment of Estimated Tax

But back to the OP's question at hand - can he increase his withholdings in anticipating this tax 'credit' so to increase his monthly cash flow? The answer is "yes".

According to this document by the National Association of Realtors on First Time Home Buyer Tax Credit, you can readjust your W-4 withholdings to increase your monthly cash flow (Q&A #13).

Old 01-28-2009, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
I used to buy the turbotax software for both federal & state versions every year. My experience has been that you can 'tweak' your deductions and the outcomes can be very different. The software is not smart enough to give you tax advice. For the price of software, I can have an experienced tax accountant that provides advice for next year as well as knowing all the pitfalls in triggering audits.
I don't buy the software, I use the website, and no way I'm paying someone to do my taxes - they're not that difficult. Especially on turbotax. Federal is free and state is like $30. There is a ton of help and support on the site as well - it just takes maybe a day to get an answer... whereas people are always around here.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm42 View Post

Yep, I know how it works. My question was just whether the number of allowances that all the IRS worksheets came up with for me was outlandish. Its okay though because I realized why my numbers were fuzzy. I was having additional withheld last year due to a jump in income. With the credit taken into account, I don't need to have additional withheld, and can claim a few allowances.

Last edited by DvlsAdvc8; 01-28-2009 at 09:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area