Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 06:03 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,767,122 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of any new subdivisions in the Athens-East Limestone area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 10:56 AM

205 posts, read 589,837 times
There are the Legacy Group's developments (I know Roger Elmore, one of the agents). I don't know who built them, though. I toured a couple of the homes when we were looking but I kept wanting to design my own kitchen area or have a basement, so I opted (wisely, in retrospect) for an older home in downtown Athens that needed a kitchen renovation and had a basement. I have heard to stay away from Tremont. There are a LOT of subdivisions that I haven't paid any attention to by name off of Pepper Road...some you can see have tankless waterheaters, which is a plus. Again, no recommendations, but there are just tons of houses and subdivisions going in. I thought that the Meres might be good, but we did have a discussion that the prices (as stated) are too high for the product. I guess it depends on what KIND of subdivision you are looking for. I looked at a lot and couldn't picture any of them working for what I was looking for. I guess I am not a subdivision type of person...at least NEW subdivisions. I like the neighborhood feel of an old, established area near downtown (where I can walk to stuff).

Old 03-01-2009, 07:33 PM

Default New Subdivisions in Athens!

Check out several new subdivisions in Athens:
http://www.athensal.us/Departments/c...isions_map.pdf

Old 03-02-2009, 01:12 AM

59 posts, read 177,696 times
Default commute to H'ville?

What type commute could one expect to have from Athens to H'ville, say, Research park? I like the small-town feel too.

Old 03-02-2009, 04:08 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,903,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milledj View Post
There are the Legacy Group's developments (I know Roger Elmore, one of the agents). I don't know who built them, though. I toured a couple of the homes when we were looking but I kept wanting to design my own kitchen area or have a basement, so I opted (wisely, in retrospect) for an older home in downtown Athens that needed a kitchen renovation and had a basement. I have heard to stay away from Tremont. There are a LOT of subdivisions that I haven't paid any attention to by name off of Pepper Road...some you can see have tankless waterheaters, which is a plus. Again, no recommendations, but there are just tons of houses and subdivisions going in. I thought that the Meres might be good, but we did have a discussion that the prices (as stated) are too high for the product. I guess it depends on what KIND of subdivision you are looking for. I looked at a lot and couldn't picture any of them working for what I was looking for. I guess I am not a subdivision type of person...at least NEW subdivisions. I like the neighborhood feel of an old, established area near downtown (where I can walk to stuff).
how did you find the house prices? these small southern towns think even the dumps are worth so much since there is a limited supply...thanks

Old 03-02-2009, 06:22 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times
Most realtors list on valleymls.com in N. AL You can find prices there. I live in one of these small towns and I don't think the prices are high although I guess it is all in what you consider high. You can get a nice home on an acre or more for less than 140K. Smaller homes are less than 100K. New homes for 200K. Maybe because I came here from FL where prices where out of reach for many ppl.

Old 03-02-2009, 11:44 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,952,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeful dreamer View Post
What type commute could one expect to have from Athens to H'ville, say, Research park? I like the small-town feel too.
45 minutes

Old 03-03-2009, 05:44 AM

It takes that long! I thought it took aleast 20-30 minutes.

Old 03-03-2009, 07:19 AM

1,645 posts, read 3,095,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
45 minutes
From Downtown Athens to Downtown H'ville

If you took 72 straight, its got to be very close to that. If you jumped on 65, 11 miles from exit 351 to exit 340 and then jumped on 565, you might cut down the time a bit depending on how fast you wanted to go. More miles, but higher speeds.

Old 03-03-2009, 07:41 AM

205 posts, read 589,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12buttons View Post
how did you find the house prices? these small southern towns think even the dumps are worth so much since there is a limited supply...thanks
Well, we bought our house a year ago for $125,000. It has 3 bedrooms, 1 full bath, 1 half bath (attached to a master), and 3/4 bath down in the basement. There is also a huge back room that we are making into a master suite with the works. All told, about 3,200 sq ft. It is brick, had a newer HVAC unit (we don't have to use it much, anyway) 2 fireplaces. We have about 190,000 into it now after all the renovations (new kitchen, baths, windows).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area