Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2010, 07:59 AM

360 posts, read 1,532,594 times

Advertisements

The difficulty I've had grocery shopping for natural foods and vegetarian items while living on the West side of Madison county has been one of the biggest challenges I've faced as a transplant from CA. I have to hopscotch all over the county to find (what I consider) reasonably priced quality produce, tofu, and bulk grains. I'm heading up to Nashville's Trader Joe's and Whole Foods this weekend out of desperation, as I've depleted the stockpiles I brought with me, and I've been disappointed in local offerings. I am hoping Earth Fare does well and leads other natural grocers to locate here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 11:27 AM

692 posts, read 1,502,366 times
I really haven't had that much trouble. Maybe it is the side of town you are living on, or maybe I just have too much time on my hands.

I do: Southern Family Market for meat(Nature Source)(which doesn't really apply to you as a vegetarian) and good beer selection. I have been wanting to talk with Rocket City Meat, but I just haven't gotten around to it.
Grow Alabama for fresh veggies/fruit
I order my grains through Wheat Montana
I do Publix for dairy and juice.

I am still very excited about the store. I like having everything all in one place and being able to purchase everything in the store. It starts getting a little old making EVERYTHING yourself. I have to admit that I have thrown a few things in my shopping cart that I shouldn't just out of pure laziness, on a day that I didn't want to whip up yet another batch of granola bars for the kids. It is nice to know how to make the things you like, it is another to have to do it for everything you put in your mouth.

Old 01-18-2010, 05:31 PM

360 posts, read 1,532,594 times
Talking Tammie2, you are amazing!

Loved your comment about whipping up another batch of granola bars... I certainly am not as ambitious a baker as you, but I will definitely look into online ordering of grains if I get desperate before Earth Fare's April opening. They did confirm with me that they sell bulk grains, nuts, trail mixes, herbs & spices, flours, and coffee, so I am optimistic. BTW, the "beginner's bread" recipe you gave me is AWESOME! Thanks!

Old 01-18-2010, 05:40 PM

871 posts, read 2,884,043 times
Another place locally for grits and flour:
Falls Mill - Stoneground Grits and Cornmeal

Old 01-19-2010, 01:13 AM

692 posts, read 1,502,366 times
Necessity is the best inspiration!! I never used to be an ambitious baker, our diets were AWFUL and I didn't think a thing of it(and I used a bread machine-OH THE HORROR). After Quin came into our lives I realized how harmful our diets were and if there was any hope for him to walk/talk, he had to have a natural diet to heal. So anything I couldn't buy(keep in mind this was 6-1/2 yrs ago in Texas) but really wanted, I learned to make. Back then I had to go to Whole Foods 30 min away to get organic produce to make baby food as commercial was just starting to come into the area and was almost $2/jar(compared to those days, Huntsville is a dream to grocery shop . I was fortunate that I had a chef for a grandmother, so my foundation was solid.

Granola bars are easy peasy. And you can take many liberties with this recipe.

1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup peanut butter(can be omitted-use a bit of extra sugar or honey to bind)
1/4 cup corn syrup or honey(I prefer honey, most prefer the corn syrup-all in what you like)
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups oats

From here add in what you like, some ideas....

sunflower kernels, raisins, cranberries, cherries, coconut, toasted wheat germ, sesame seeds, flax, chocolate chips(white, milk, dark), rice cereal(like krispies), toasted O's(like cheerios), corn flakes, almonds, pecans, walnuts, the possibilities are endless.

Mix it all together, press it into a buttered 8" square and bake 350 for 15/20 minutes. Sometimes I am feeling a bit funky and I form them into bars and bake them on a cookie sheet. Very versitle recipe, you can change it up with little to no effect on taste or texture. I usually just start throwing in a bit of this and a bit of that and they always turn out.

A buttering the pan tip....When you use butter for the recipe, save the wrapper and rub it in your pan, there is always a bit of butter left on that paper and it is perfect for buttering a pan.

Anything else you want to know, just ask. Chances are I have made it and have a recipe

Old 01-22-2010, 01:21 PM

49 posts, read 115,020 times
I would like to see a real Farmer's Market that is open daily and not just on Saturday Mornings.

Old 02-09-2010, 06:22 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,765,578 times
Any word on the proposed mega shopping centers?

Old 02-09-2010, 06:31 AM

71 posts, read 143,720 times
Ikea
Ikea
and Ikea

Yes please.

Old 02-09-2010, 06:49 AM

3 posts, read 3,455 times
hello how r u

Old 02-09-2010, 07:20 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,723,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
Any word on the proposed mega shopping centers?

There is real construction going on a Constellation. Together with it, the widening of Governors, the elimination of some public housing, the renovation of the Von Braun Center, and some rezoning on the north side, the downtown area should look be a more desirable destination for people (a "Go To" place) in the next couple years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area