Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 08:50 AM

1,351 posts, read 3,425,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
To be honest I think it would be better. Here is my thinking, if I need someone to drive me around and show me 200 homes because I don't know where any of them are, I will get a buyers agent. If I am able to drive around on my own and in doing so I fall in love with a home and that is "the one," I would be more likely to call the listing agent and make an offer rather than hiring a buyers agent-but maybe that is just me.
...and me.

and while I see the benefit of showing the address, I can do fine without. Just posting the subdivision is good enough info for me (metes&bounds indicates an old house that I am not interested in anyway), MCS has the street list with subdivision (made myself a nice Excel spreadsheet that I can filter, sort anyway I want), and then the Tax Assessor's Office maps just do the job for me - it's the easiest when the lot size has an unusual shape, or size/measurements (so easy to identify a 102.5x59x142x136.5 lot on those maps).

As for a market analysis, there are realtors out there that say on their website can do that for you. All of these tools makes my house hunting a very happy one, thank you. I do admit I may need representation to make the transaction, but it is my choice to screen the houses myself without a buyer's agent to do that for me.

and don't forget you can always sign up for email updates from the public MLS or (a) realtor's website, these notifications SHOW the address.

one more thing I have to add: When a seller lists his house through a realtor, it is in the best interest of the agent to get it sold, therefore he will pull a sales price report for that house/area and AT LEAST suggest to the seller that that's the right price. The client may be a stubborn one and not take the advice and jack up the price, say $20-50k, waiting for a "bozo" (a previous poster's word) to bite. How delusional/sentimental a seller can be? Can he realistically ask for more than 10-20% over the "recommended" price/other comps have sold? Yes, he can. Will he have buyers? Maybe yes, maybe no. I know for sure won't be one of them.

My point is for the most part a house in the MLS database should be priced right, shouldn't it? That is after all a realtor's job
A price is as good as a buyer is willing to pay.

Last edited by friday13; 03-05-2009 at 09:37 AM..

Old 03-05-2009, 09:46 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,962,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tammie2 View Post

So where is the benefit to the listing agent not to put an address on the property? They are still only getting half of the commission regardless of listing the address or not.

To be honest I think it would be better. Here is my thinking, if I need someone to drive me around and show me 200 homes because I don't know where any of them are, I will get a buyers agent. If I am able to drive around on my own and in doing so I fall in love with a home and that is "the one," I would be more likely to call the listing agent and make an offer rather than hiring a buyers agent-but maybe that is just me.
I totally agree that, as listing agent, putting address/ subdivision/ general location would be better. That's why I want to know from MM what NALMLS thinking behind not putting address in the Valley MLS? The idea that ".. so a perpective buyer will call me..." is naive, backward and foolish. Perhaps compounded by listing agent's greed to act as both buyer & seller's agent?

A more sophisticated approach, as employeed by MLS in the REST OF COUNTRY, is to put address on the MLS. Why?

1) Stop aggrevating buyers ! You only turn off clients who're more sophisticated these days.

2) Stop acting like used car salesman! Oh you're not interested in that neighborhood? Well I'd be happy to show you anywhere you want to see as long as you buy a house through me !!!

3) Get quality buyers who are really interested in that neighborhood, that house, and that price range

4) Qualify your buyers and don't waste your time with the "looky-looks".

But you know what? Maybe this is the "south" thang that I don't get. Just like dealing with local cable, utilities, etc., what you get is all depend on whom you talk to.... The 'system' doesn't work, only the individuals.

So MM and other realtors... enlighten us

Old 03-05-2009, 10:00 AM

482 posts, read 990,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
I totally agree that, as listing agent, putting address/ subdivision/ general location would be better. That's why I want to know from MM what NALMLS thinking behind not putting address in the Valley MLS? The idea that ".. so a perpective buyer will call me..." is naive, backward and foolish. Perhaps compounded by listing agent's greed to act as both buyer & seller's agent?

A more sophisticated approach, as employeed by MLS in the REST OF COUNTRY, is to put address on the MLS. Why?

1) Stop aggrevating buyers ! You only turn off clients who're more sophisticated these days.

2) Stop acting like used car salesman! Oh you're not interested in that neighborhood? Well I'd be happy to show you anywhere you want to see as long as you buy a house through me !!!

3) Get quality buyers who are really interested in that neighborhood, that house, and that price range

4) Qualify your buyers and don't waste your time with the "looky-looks".

But you know what? Maybe this is the "south" thang that I don't get. Just like dealing with local cable, utilities, etc., what you get is all depend on whom you talk to.... The 'system' doesn't work, only the individuals.

So MM and other realtors... enlighten us
You are 100% CORRECT. Which, is why the issue is supposed to be brought up to the board again in April. Only about 1200 out of apprx. 3000 realtors voted last time. Definitely need more participation.

Old 03-05-2009, 10:20 AM

43 posts, read 148,530 times
Well, I for one have also learned to do without the addresses though it may be helpful for those out of town to just plug it in on a map. I go by subdivisions, my map, and e-mail the listing agent for that odd subdivision that I can't find.

My question is why is the age of the house as well as sq. ft not readily available. Also previous sales, anyway to easily get that supposedly public info?

Old 03-05-2009, 10:30 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,962,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btfly View Post
My question is why is the age of the house as well as sq. ft not readily available. Also previous sales, anyway to easily get that supposedly public info?
Yeah that too.

In many instances I see in those free 'home for sale' magazines, they don't even list the selling price ! What's the point of advertising? So someone will call you? Oh I like the look of that house and I wonder where it is, how many sq. ft, how old, and what's the selling price?

Old 03-05-2009, 04:44 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
Thread is closed..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area