Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 07:39 PM

871 posts, read 2,885,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
"The proposed tax of about 5 or 6 mills would cost property owners about $50 to $60 per $100,000, said Fowler."

from

New tax sought for high school - al.com

Ready for an increase to pay for our new high school!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 10:53 PM

122 posts, read 354,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boilrmkr View Post
I am amazed when people talk about overcrowding in the school. One of my kids has 17, one has 24 and one has 13 kids in their class.

When I was in school there were 30 per class. It was a Catholic school and we were way ahead of our public school counterparts. I was at St. John the Baptist school this week and noticed that one of the classrooms has 28 kids. I bet they are getting an excellent education.
It isn't all about classroom size (however, that is a key stat to watch). If you put all 9-12 kids in one school it will approach 3,000 kids in the building. Look at that number again, 3 0 0 0 kids. With only 3 grades attending it is already the largest high school in the state. You could split the school into two equal sized schools and both would still be large enough to qualify as 6A schools. I am all for a big school. Big schools bring opportunities that small schools can't touch, but there is a point of diminishing return. There is no reason that a high school should be as large as a small university.

I am for additional millage to pay for a second high school on the west side of town.

Old 10-23-2009, 05:12 AM

871 posts, read 2,885,342 times
Opening Fall 2012:
Team to manage school project - al.com

Old 10-23-2009, 05:53 AM

1,645 posts, read 4,586,502 times
I doubt we'll see a new MS any time soon. And as far as the HS goes, there was an article about in the TIMES. The city gov't has asked for a huge chunk of change in stimulus money to help build it.

I don't mind a tax increase, but if it is property tax, then this area will become eerily like Fairfax County. Sales tax is already very high here. I don't relish the thought of paying even more for my groceries, but it is a more fair way of taxing EVERYONE and spreading the burden so the bulk is not placed on homeowners. I just wonder how we can really afford it when the school budgets are cut to the bones.

Hopefully in three years, we'll see the new school. But right now, BJHS is fabulous. And though it has a large populations, the students who participate in smaller group activities thrive. The main reason we chose this area is for the schools. And in that regard, we are very pleased with our choice.

Old 10-23-2009, 06:42 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionlife View Post

I don't mind a tax increase, but if it is property tax, then this area will become eerily like Fairfax County. Sales tax is already very high here. I don't relish the thought of paying even more for my groceries, but it is a more fair way of taxing EVERYONE and spreading the burden so the bulk is not placed on homeowners.

Theoretically, a property tax affects renters too as a landlord would pass the increased property tax on to his renters.

Old 10-23-2009, 06:46 AM

I'd rather see the property tax, tho that would bite a bit as that is the main incentive for moving here--lower taxes are touted all the time up in DC as a carrot to come here.

I'm not sorry we came. I'm sorry that we weren't aware of all the realities even after several trips and a lot of research. It really does take living somewhere for at least 1-2 years to develop a feel for the place.

This is our second year. First year was decent till the HOA CC&R debacle. That one burns. But overall, not a bad place to live despite many of the aesthetically unappealing areas. Of all the places I've lived, I feel I really have to hunt for the pockets of loveliness. But I was spoiled in NoVA--it is by far the most lovely area I have ever lived. The west coast, Pacific Northwest, is by far the most beautiful area I've ever visited.

Old 11-01-2009, 01:25 PM

173 posts, read 331,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionlife View Post
I don't relish the thought of paying even more for my groceries, but it is a more fair way of taxing EVERYONE and spreading the burden so the bulk is not placed on homeowners. I just wonder how we can really afford it when the school budgets are cut to the bones.
One of Alabama's major problems is too much dependance on sales tax Vs property tax. Sales tax revenue is volatile, changing with every change in shopping habits, and even slight fears of a possible economic downturn can cause people to shop less. Whereas property taxes are generally a more stable source of revenue.

Last edited by julilg; 11-01-2009 at 01:50 PM..

Old 11-01-2009, 01:46 PM

173 posts, read 331,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKOTH97 View Post
You could split the school into two equal sized schools and both would still be large enough to qualify as 6A schools. I am all for a big school. Big schools bring opportunities that small schools can't touch, but there is a point of diminishing return. There is no reason that a high school should be as large as a small university.
And two schools would double the number of students who can make "the team" (or be elected to SGA, exhibit at science fair,....). It doesn't matter if a school has 300 or 3000 students, there can still be only 9 players on the baseball field. The higher the enrollment, the lower the % of students who can participate in extra curricular activites, which are known to be beneficial for education overall. In part by increasing loyalty to and interest in school for more students.

Last edited by julilg; 11-01-2009 at 01:55 PM..

Old 11-03-2009, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by julilg View Post
One of Alabama's major problems is too much dependance on sales tax Vs property tax. Sales tax revenue is volatile, changing with every change in shopping habits, and even slight fears of a possible economic downturn can cause people to shop less. Whereas property taxes are generally a more stable source of revenue.
Another drawing card to come south taken away if property taxes here model PT up North in NoVA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area