Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 07:23 PM

86 posts, read 186,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypeep View Post
Tim G - Curious about the "recently improved gov't program to buy transferees' homes." Is there such a thing?
I was referring to a town hall presentation Jan-2009 on Redstone ...seems they removed it from their website but it was public for the longest time. Said something about Guaranteed Buyer Value Price or something like that luckily I saved a copy: DNRP-1-09.pdf
(http://huntsville-realestate.com/Town-Hall-DNRP-1-09.pdf - broken link)

Last edited by TimG; 03-07-2009 at 07:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2009, 07:35 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
A government colleague of mine is trying to sell his home in Virginia to move to Huntsville, starting work here mid April. I am about 98% certain he has the guaranteed buyout option (GBO) if he doesn't get the house sold himself via a bonafide offer.

The GBO sort of works like this: The seller is offered the average of two forecast appraisals (different from appraisals made by lenders) made by appraisers. Forecast meaning the appraisers come back with a most likely selling price in order for that home to sell in something like 90 or 120 days (that's quick so therefore the prices they come back with are often disappointingly low).

Old 03-07-2009, 07:42 PM

86 posts, read 186,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
A government colleague of mine is trying to sell his home in Virginia to move to Huntsville, starting work here mid April. I am about 98% certain he has the guaranteed buyout option (GBO) if he doesn't get the house sold himself via a bonafide offer.

The GBO sort of works like this: The seller is offered the average of two forecast appraisals (different from appraisals made by lenders) made by appraisers. Forecast meaning the appraisers come back with a most likely selling price in order for that home to sell in something like 90 or 120 days (that's quick so therefore the prices they come back with are often disappointingly low).
Makes since it would be low ...seems like that is the program presented in the presentation I posted. ...Tim

Old 03-07-2009, 08:33 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,956,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kypeep View Post
Charles, I've been working for the gov't 20 years, and I'm still not making anywhere near $140K a year. That's SES pay (or specialty, such as engineering?) Can I work for the same agency you do, LOL?!
$140K is not necessary a SES pay, but it is 'easier' to get there if you're a contractor.

Old 03-07-2009, 10:16 PM

692 posts, read 1,502,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
"....efforts will be made to hire younger engineers and set up aggressive internships over the next few years to replace anybody retiring or who wouldn't move. "We have to do all we can to recruit younger people." "
from

Downturn slows BRAC recruiting - al.com
It is more than salary at work. Companies need younger people, even if they pay them more(this is why starting salaries for engineers are higher than ever).

MANY companies are finding themselves in a position where most of their staff is retiring within 5-10 years or sooner and they will need to be replaced. Replacing entire departments at once isn't good

I won't even go into the need for specialized licensing, clearance, training and such that would make recruiting and working with a newly hired, underdeveloped staff just so much fun

No naming names, but I know of a few companies that this happened to, they found themselves without certain people and were paying upwards of $800-$1000/hour for testing and inspections that were previously done by staff engineers making $50-70/hour(100-150K/yr). In many instances they had to continue to pay until they trained/certified the replacements.

So, there are many reasons for the move and they aren't all economically motivated(not saying that doesn't play a part), just offering another perspective.

As for the economy, I can tell you that it is a better economy for engineers than any other discipline, even outside of Huntsville.

Old 03-08-2009, 06:02 AM

Saw this in this nice visual aid in morning's Athens News Courier

from

The News-Courier in Athens, Alabama - BRAC moves on increase in N. Alabama

Old 03-08-2009, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammie2 View Post
MANY companies are finding themselves in a position where most of their staff is retiring within 5-10 years or sooner and they will need to be replaced. Replacing entire departments at once isn't good.

I've noticed this myself. I'm 47 and often I go to meetings and it seems like I am one of the younger persons there. I guess this is good for me as these guys will be retiring and thus increase the demand for me.

Old 08-14-2009, 11:12 AM

"BRAC is expected to bring almost 5,000 army jobs to Redstone Arsenal

A study by University of Alabama Huntsville shows that for every BRAC job, a contractor job will be needed.

That's 5,000 more jobs.

Along with that, induced labor is also factored into the equation. This includes those to help expand the communities because of population growth, and officials estimate another 9500 jobs.

Add it all up and that's almost 20,000 new jobs headed to the Valley."

from

Shoals area banks on BRAC - WAFF.com: North Alabama News, Radar, Weather, Sports and Jobs-

Old 08-14-2009, 01:09 PM

976 posts, read 2,683,186 times
I don't see why anyone would move from DC to Huntsville but that's just me.
How many jobs will the BRAC create for people already here? If none than why are we putting so much focus on it.The city need to be trying to attract more industry instead sitting back and waiting for the BRAC which is more of the same thing. Don't put all your eggs in one basket.

Old 08-14-2009, 01:14 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,144,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimpdaddy View Post
I don't see why anyone would move from DC to Huntsville but that's just me.
How many jobs will the BRAC create for people already here? If none than why are we putting so much focus on it.The city need to be trying to attract more industry instead sitting back and waiting for the BRAC which is more of the same thing. Don't put all your eggs in one basket.
Well, since the Pentagon is consolidating services into certain locations, those people wouldn't have a choice. What's more, BRAC will mean greater industry for Huntsville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area