U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 12:15 PM

3,371 posts, read 4,568,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tammie2 View Post
...... you can bet the shotgun would be aimed at the snake-I would deal with the law later if need be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeeyow View Post
OK, let me be even more helpful, ok? Shoot it NOW!
Quote:
Originally Posted by madisonmamma View Post
JUST SHOOT THEM!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Just shoot the damn snake .

This is a PERFECT example of why you don't mess with wimmins of C-D Forum Huntsville !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 12:26 PM

3,832 posts, read 7,506,154 times
I used to live in a somewhat residential area that was near a drainage ditch. We used to get everything from coons, to opossums, to snakes...and even a coyote from time to time. We lived outside the city limits so anything was fair game. As long as we were protecting persons & property and NOT poaching game animals out of season there was not one thing wrong with it.

My father and I would frequently shoot snakes in our yard as well as do it for a favor to our neighbors if they asked. 12 ga 2 1/2 birdshot shells would usually do the trick well enough.

Old 03-19-2009, 12:44 PM

216 posts, read 361,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
This is a PERFECT example of why you don't mess with wimmins of C-D Forum Huntsville !!!

You are right...when it comes to a snake!!!! I make hubby kill em all...even the garter snakes.

In my mind, there is no such thing as a good snake...and you will never convince me otherwise

I hate even showing houses with pet snakes....eek! I had a client once who walked in a room before me...he said.."Oh, Snake!"...out the door I went!

Old 03-19-2009, 02:22 PM

3,084 posts, read 4,728,846 times
Here are some Official State resources on killing snakes:

Quote:
If you are bothered by the presence of a snake around your home, you should take steps to clear your property of habitat that would be attractive to them. Piles of firewood or debris and tall grassy or overgrown areas are attractive spots for foraging and denning.

Despite your best efforts to discourage snakes from inhabiting your home and garden, you may find an occasional unwelcomed guest of the reptilian persuasion lurking about... Before you decide to kill a snake in your garden or barn, you should determine whether or not the snake poses a danger.
Snakes: Alabama Wildlife Damage Management (http://www.aces.edu/forestry/awdm/reptiles/snakes.html - broken link)

Quote:
If you encounter a venomous snake, instead of trying to capture or kill it, simply leave it alone and allow it to flee and move away. If it is in your yard, consider calling a professional wildlife damage control agent and have it captured and removed before killing it needlessly.
Snakes: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Here's a list of what NOT to kill (Cottonmouth snakes aren't on the list):

Quote:
It shall be unlawful to take, capture, kill, or attempt to take, capture or kill... the following nongame wildlife species...
Nongame Species Protected by Alabama Regulations

You just missed the deadline (March 16, 2009) on this technique:

Quote:
The Alabama Conservation Advisory Board has unanimously passed a motion to make it "illegal to introduce gasoline or any other noxious chemical or gaseous substance into wildlife burrows, dens or retreats."
Gassing burrows has been outlawed - Bolton's Outdoors Alabama - al.com

All you really need to know:

Quote:
The bite of the cottonmouth is highly dangerous and may be fatal.
Cottonmouth Snake in Alabama

Old 03-19-2009, 03:10 PM

652 posts, read 989,654 times
I saw the title and thought well was he comin out the back door? or runnin off with somthing
It seemed funny til I read the thread. I'd act to protect the children if it's needed. If there was time I'd relocate them, they don't mean you any harm. Sounds like you might set some traps and clean the area out or put a snapper or two in the pond. They eat snakes right?

Old 03-19-2009, 04:17 PM

338 posts, read 506,692 times
OK, I'm back. I called the Sheriff and it looks like they are fair game since I'm outside the city limits. Still, check for yourself if you are in the same situation...

Thanks for all the replies, especially the post from Reactionary. Thanks bud.

I probably won't get another clear shot at the snakes. Today the wife had me clear all the high weeds and such around the water. It is probably more my fault for leaving the water edge a mess.

And yes, this is a fairly new subdivision with alot of small kids. My main concern was any legal issues from ticked off parents in the neighborhood. There are alot of trouble makers out there...

Old 03-19-2009, 09:42 PM

10,713 posts, read 6,261,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E Limestone Dude View Post
There are alot of trouble makers out there...
NOT if they SAW you WITH the shotgun! LOL

Ok OK OK , I really am just kidding. But, dude - next time JUST SHOOT THE DAMN SNAKES!

Old 03-20-2009, 06:20 AM

3,371 posts, read 4,568,407 times
I don't mean to get technical here, but you don't have to have a shotgun (scarring the neighbors) to shoot a snake.

A little pistol or revolver will do. They sell catridges with 'snake shot' pellets inside instead of bullets. Everytime you go outdoors you can just grab a little pistol and put in your pocket, just in case there're snakes out there.

Old 03-20-2009, 09:05 AM

1,218 posts, read 1,498,494 times
I don't know, the thought of seeing the snake in separate sections would make me feel better when I toss the remains from my property.

Old 03-20-2009, 09:41 AM

3,084 posts, read 4,728,846 times
Why take chances?

A little pistol with snake shot vs a 12 gauge? I'm a big believer in overwhelming force, especially when dealing with an existential threat - wouldn't want to get snakebit.

It reminds me of a friend who shot up the inside of his house (in OXR) trying to kill a snake. He used a pistol with snake shot and ended up having to shoot it several times. What a mess. He considered using a shotgun but didn't want to ruin the flooring. There may have been whiskey involved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area