Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2009, 07:27 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times

Advertisements

Huntsville Housing Authority looks at buying property in Madison - Breaking News from The Huntsville Times - al.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 08:24 AM

1,351 posts, read 3,423,536 times

Charles, you beat me to posting the news.

Reading the title and the beginning of the article where it said moving HSV HA residents to Madison I was thinking:

Can they do that?

Upon further reading, I was thinking:

I guess they can do that,- then it'll be a riot and protest from the Madison residents: "our low-income people are better than yours, so HSV keep your poor people in HSV". I would love to know how many of the people opposing the rezoning issue/busing poor kids around to meet the quota, would now stand up for them (indirectly), by opposing HHA newcomers.

Edit: I'm just saying.. Throwing my two cents here... For all I know, I live in NE Hsv Chapman/Lee High, planning to move to Madison in couple years. What am I going to do now? I am not as much worried about poor good people coming to Madison, but the citywide going off a cliff in the 5-10 yr future, as I plan to stick around for 15-20 yrs.

Last edited by friday13; 06-16-2009 at 08:54 AM..

Old 06-16-2009, 08:36 AM

426 posts, read 1,272,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by friday13 View Post
"our low-income people are better than yours, so HSV keep your poor people in HSV".
Why should Madison residents/taxpayers have to provide school services, social services, police/fire protection and other city services to Huntsville's low income residents. This will cause nothing but problems for Madison. HHA's Madison residents' crime statistics will go on Madison's rolls, their low income (and potentially underperfoming) students will effect Madison's school performance.

What benefit could Madison possibly get from this arrangement? I can see why Huntsville would want to pawn their problems off on Madison and I'm sure the residents of certain areas of Huntsville would breathe a sigh of relief to have the assurance that these projects won't be impacting their schools and neighborhoods.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:13 AM

4,739 posts, read 10,434,489 times
gsp4ever - it's not just Huntsville's 'public housing clients' who would be eligible for a move to Madison - HHA public housing is open to anyone in the USA - for example, Aunt Zeituni could move in from Boston if she wanted.

HUD already owns the Paradise Apartments - having the HHA run the complex may be better than the current situation.

Old 06-16-2009, 05:03 PM

340 posts, read 723,331 times
Interesting move by the HHA.

Question concerning Reactionary previous post -

The HHA boundaries for purchasing power goes beyound the Huntsville City limits? Is it limited to Madison County?

Can HHA go outside of Madison County to purchase in other areas such as Arab, Athens, Scottsboro, etc?

Old 06-16-2009, 05:45 PM

340 posts, read 723,331 times
Just finished reading the articles at the the south hsv org. and flashpoint site. Both articles should be read. All I can say is WOW. Looks like the plan is to destroy the middle class areas in Madison County and no one is safe. The gov. across the nation is pushing this theme and plenty of money to back.

What are people to do now? How far out of the city does one have to go to get out of this mess? Do I have to drive to work from a 30-50 mile away small little town some where in North Alabama to get rid of the Housing Authority/gov. purchasing homes/apartments next to me?

Where/What are people doing now to live and not be around this mess they are creating?

Housing Authority Accelerates Effort to Buy Homes; Gets Another $4.5 Million for the Effort « South Hsv Civic Association Blog
Housing Authority Accelerates Effort to Buy Homes; Gets Another $4.5 Million for the Effort

Huntsville Housing Authority in the news | flashpoint (http://www.flashpointblog.com/2009/06/16/huntsville-housing-authority-in-the-news/ - broken link)
Huntsville Housing Authority in the news

Old 06-16-2009, 08:41 PM

105 posts, read 289,696 times
OMG, poor people are moving right next to you!? Ewwww. What's next? Lepers?!!

*extreme sarcasm above*

Old 06-16-2009, 09:20 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,434,489 times
As we just found out, the Huntsville Housing Authority can buy housing anywhere in Madison County.

The worst part of this arrangement is that the Board of the HHA is appointed by the Mayor of Huntsville - so if you live in the City of Madison or Madison County you have absolutely no voice in the HHA decisions (at least in HSV we vote for the Mayor - but only every four years).

Repeat - if you live in the City of Madison or Madison County you have no voter impact on HHA decisions. I suggest calling your Mayor / Council and your County Commissioners and your State Legislators to let them know what you think of this situation.

LivingInMadison - what do you think a 50 unit housing project right next door to your house would do to your property values?

Old 06-16-2009, 09:39 PM

1,351 posts, read 3,423,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingInMadison View Post
OMG, poor people are moving right next to you!? Ewwww. What's next? Lepers?!!

*extreme sarcasm above*

Dismantling the sex offenders nest at Myric motel closing down...

*extreme dose of realism/possibility above*

Old 06-17-2009, 05:50 AM

105 posts, read 289,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post

LivingInMadison - what do you think a 50 unit housing project right next door to your house would do to your property values?
I guess they won't do a better job at diminishing property values than sub-prime mortgages, Wall Street, the whole state of California (and Florida), stupid speculators, your local real-estate bubble, etc.
Choose your -recessionary- poison.

But then, this area is recession-proof because of the military-industrial complex...so hey, I don't know, I would be more worried about huge DoD cuts than having a project right next to me.
Besides, I spent four years of my life living in one and ended up a productive middle-class citizen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area