Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 12:18 PM

79 posts, read 184,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
Well, I think it would be better for East Limestone to become a city before cities like Huntsville will annex it and will have residents paying high property taxes.

In order for a County to become its own City there are numerous legislative steps that must be taken. Fact is, depsite the growth in EL, EL does not have the reosurces to provide its residents with services once it becomes a city. EL is having a hard enough time makeing good use of the resources it has.

Funny thing is, EL will grant permits to build to about anyone in the good old boy network so the tax base increases but much of that money is spent on other things not even in EL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarges Dad View Post
Good information. Except school systems are not as bad as you mentioned. I live in the county and know I risk trailer parks or chicken houses put in. I did not and have never built or bought in a subdivision in the county. People who do that are doing so to save money. You get what you pay for. If I am going to live that close together I will move to a well regulated subdivision in the city. Did you know they can put poultry farms right next to your subdivision in the county and there is nothing you can do about it. I like the country and bought enough property to protect myself, but if a chicken house goes in, so be it....we live in the country. The builders you mentioned. Well like I said, you get what you pay for. Just a word of caution. When you buy a house in the a subdivion, you still live in a rural area. That lifestyle is not for everyone. We like our freedoms so we don't have a lot of regulations.
Very good points and I respect them a good deal. I think and or wish our realator had told us more about the county. Then again she was from Madison and from what I hear many city realators do not know much about the county, then again she did mention there were not the same codes as is in the city. All and all not unhappy, jsut letting folks know what to expect. Sometimes, it is not the best to go for bigger lot and home for less

Old 06-09-2009, 12:56 PM

567 posts, read 1,735,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFOTOCEO View Post
In order for a County to become its own City there are numerous legislative steps that must be taken. Fact is, depsite the growth in EL, EL does not have the reosurces to provide its residents with services once it becomes a city. EL is having a hard enough time makeing good use of the resources it has.

Funny thing is, EL will grant permits to build to about anyone in the good old boy network so the tax base increases but much of that money is spent on other things not even in EL.
EL does not grant permits to anyone. I hired a contractor to build my home and no permits from Limestone county was required.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:00 PM

567 posts, read 1,735,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFOTOCEO View Post
Very good points and I respect them a good deal. I think and or wish our realator had told us more about the county. Then again she was from Madison and from what I hear many city realators do not know much about the county, then again she did mention there were not the same codes as is in the city. All and all not unhappy, jsut letting folks know what to expect. Sometimes, it is not the best to go for bigger lot and home for less
I agree with what you are saying. I am in a different line of sales, and I always want the customer to be informed as much as possible. An informed customer is a hapy customer.

It sort of reminds me when Madison was booming. There were a lot of cotton fields and the agents did not tell the people moving to the beautiful county side about the slow moving tractors on the raods and the crop dusters spraying poison in the fields. They were in for a rude awakening.

Old 06-09-2009, 02:13 PM

SD,

Good posts, when a subdivision is built permits are required but on a personal track of land such as yours, you are correct, no permit required. Now if I want to build a second garage on my property in the development, given we do not have an association I think you are correct I do not require a permit, however I can request one and an inspector for a modest fee.

Old 06-09-2009, 07:26 PM

12,733 posts, read 21,629,218 times
I have never been to East Limestone: just through on the Interstate. Describe it? What's there? What's the estimated population?

Old 07-19-2010, 12:11 PM

1 posts, read 1,317 times
Default Southern breeze homes

We have lived in this neighborhood for 4 years and though there have been issues with some of the homes, there is no reason anyone would not want to live in our neighborhood! It is beautiful here! It is located outside of town in the middle of what used to be cotton fields. The houses are all different (no cookie-cutter looks) and they are well-maintained. In every neighborhood you are going to have a couple of knuckleheads who do not take pride in themselves or anything else and allow the grass and weeds to take over..
The people who live in this neighborhood are from all over the country - many are retired (military, TVA, insurance companies, etc) but there are many young families as well. They are wonderful people - they walk around the neighborhood in the evenings and meet each other - there are only a few new families we have not met. There is a great mix of families - some with kids, some without, different backgrounds, from different places, and varied ethnicities/races.
There are a couple of foreclosed homes as are all over the place! There are a few homes which haven't sold because of their price-point - this was the same price-range that has been hurt all over the area (high 200's to over 300,000). The builders spread themselves too thin during the boom and when the housing market dipped they were caught with their pants down - like many other companies. We do not have a homeowners' association - which can be good or bad - everyone has an opinion on that. We like not having to all have the same color curtains in the front windows, but hate the fact the ... the builders put with the deeds are not enforced. The property taxes are low because we are in the county, but that means we have 1 trash pick-up per week and they do not pick up brush/grass/etc. There are several rental homes on the front part of the neighborhood - we have only had one couple (who recently moved out) who did not take care of their home. A new tenant now lives there and he maintains the yard beautifully. Just to let you know the kind of people who live here, we all hated the entrance so we collected money from volunteers in the neighborhood (the developers would not do anything about it) and re-worked the entrance ourselves. We had a few to take charge and get the supplies and lay-out plan to make it more attractive, then one Saturday a large group of volunteer neighbors went over and totally re-landscaped the entrances. After that, for several months, we took turns watering the new plants and pulling grass out from the mulch. Anyone care to join us? We are what a good neighborhood is all about !!!! Come take a look - you will be pleasantly surprised and impressed.

Last edited by USASOLDR1; 07-19-2010 at 12:20 PM.. Reason: misspelled word

Old 07-19-2010, 09:32 PM

12,733 posts, read 21,629,218 times
Is East Limestone still rural or is it more suburban?

Old 07-19-2010, 09:42 PM

Depends on where you are looking. EL is one of the fastest growing areas, even more so in some cases than Madison. Off Moorsville RD there are several Developments with homes ranging from 2,000 Sqft to 5,000 Sqft. Prices as low as $120K up to $600K. One thing that is nice, is most homes in developments are on about .5 acres but this is starting to change, i.e. lots are a tad smaller on the newer developments. Southern Breeze does have a lot going for it. Most of the issues have been resolved. A home in Southern Breeze at 3,200 Sqft just sold for just under $323K that is about $100 a sqft. However, there are other homes of like size going for $96 a Sqft.

Most of the new builds have sold so those selling homes have a better opportunity this year if not next to find a buyer. Still a buyers market but often so many buyers are looking for a give away. You will not find that in SB. One thing to remember, you would live in the county, county life is not the same at the city. Ordinances etc are nearly non existent but that also offers a unique ambiance of a country feel in a near urban environment.

I for one was very upset after we moved here, I had no idea what country life was like but it has grown on me a good deal.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:46 PM

956 posts, read 2,488,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
Is East Limestone still rural or is it more suburban?
I would say it is in between rural and suburban. Much of East Limestone is close to shopping, etc. Many new subdivisions popping up all over East Limestone.

CAUTION when buying/building in East Limestone, however. They do NOT inspect the homes. I sold a home last month and the electric panel was in the master closet...a CLEAR fire hazard. Called the county and they DO have building codes, but don't enforce them. They DO go by the latest National Building Codes, but DO not inspect, nor give a hoot how a home is built.

Always, always, always hire a GOOD home inspector when buying anywhere...and best of luck to anyone that would buy in East Limestone Cty., without a home inspection. It's a crap shoot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area