Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 01:47 PM

168 posts, read 557,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
Saying that, choosing where to live I think would depend largely upon where you work and finding a neighborhood you like--both have some great neighborhoods. Hampton Cove feels less crowded and cramped to me, though.
This bears asking a question. What defines a neighborhood to you? What makes one neighborhood more desirable over another? I live in the inner-city of Huntsville. To me, there is not much difference between Hampton Cove and Madison.

When Toney and New Market are included in the equation, but Huntsville is noticably absent, I am left confused on the criteria used in this evaluation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2009, 02:28 PM

889 posts, read 2,386,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clamoore View Post
This bears asking a question. What defines a neighborhood to you? What makes one neighborhood more desirable over another? I live in the inner-city of Huntsville. To me, there is not much difference between Hampton Cove and Madison.

When Toney and New Market are included in the equation, but Huntsville is noticably absent, I am left confused on the criteria used in this evaluation.
I don't say the following to start trouble. As a near lifelong resident, this is just my observation as I've seen Huntsville change greatly over the last 35 years. I find that many transplants come to the area from bigger cities with much bigger inner city problems than Huntsville and new folks assume the worst about the central city based on past experience. Folks come here assuming they must live in the suburbs in an area where their home address is anything other than "Huntsville." Somehow suburbs (ie. surrounding cities and outlying communities like Hampton Cove) become the rule for transplants. I've never understood that. Growing up here in the 80s there were no true suburbs. Madison, with maybe 4000 folks, was the closest thing we had. Now the sprawl is rampant with people content to drive 45 minutes to an hour to and from work because that's what they were used to in their former locations. I don't understand that either. And I don't buy the "schools" argument and quite frankly I'm tired of hearing about it. But that subject has been talked to death and I'll refrain now.

Old 05-06-2009, 03:28 PM

485 posts, read 1,451,845 times
When I moved to the area 10.5 years ago, I did not even consider Hampton Cove because I considered the drive in to be too far. My job was at MSFC and I looked at houses in SE Huntsville and Madison because both had easy access to the arsenal. Since then the road over the mountain has opened up so I guess it is not as bad, but still not as convenient as the two areas I looked at. I wound up buying a 10 year old house in Madison, because I wanted the amenities that the 30 year old houses in SE Hsv (in my price range) did not offer. I have to add the caveate though that I moved from the Clear Lake area of Houston where my drive to JSC (door to door) was 1.3 miles, so I guess you might say I was spoiled.

Old 05-06-2009, 03:46 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,863,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by deesonic
And again...there's also this little city known as Huntsville (west of the mountain) with some very nice neighborhoods.
And the small city of Decatur, just to the west of Madison.
Okay, okay... let's just start naming all other little cities around Madison

Old 05-06-2009, 03:55 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,863,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guxu View Post
Madison grows too much and too fast. Tons of new subdivisions have been developed. Tons of stores have been opened along 72, County Line, and Madison Blvd.
That's the thing. Because Madison did not keep up with its roads to accommodate the new flow of traffic, it's beginning to choke itself during the rush hour. Then again, I've heard equally bad traffic problem on the Memorial Parkway.

Madison's growth is both a good & bad thing. Good because people want to move there for closer to work, better school, etc., but also bad if the city does not keep up with the infrastructure.

Quote:
I do not know those new residents are transplants or not.
My neighbor is a native of Huntsville and moved from SE Huntsville to Madison to be closer to his job. But according to him, the main motivation is that his daughter is going to elementary school this year and he wants her to go to a good school.

Quote:
Maybe we are all native and just popped up from underground.
Yeah, esp. if your name if Bermuda. Lots of you popped out of my lawn this weekend.

Old 05-10-2009, 10:34 PM

12,733 posts, read 21,642,812 times
You guys are so funny!

Old 05-11-2009, 01:50 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,376,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
You guys are so funny!
A&M Bulldawg what do you think about Hampton Cove becoming like Compton one day?

Old 05-11-2009, 03:35 PM

1,351 posts, read 3,406,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsville_secede View Post
A&M Bulldawg what do you think about Hampton Cove becoming like Compton one day?

Let the urban development experts weigh in on this one...and the day dreamers...Let's give it up for our resident urban planner and sprawl expert. Peace, man

Old 05-12-2009, 12:16 PM

1,134 posts, read 2,854,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deesonic View Post
I don't say the following to start trouble. As a near lifelong resident, this is just my observation as I've seen Huntsville change greatly over the last 35 years. I find that many transplants come to the area from bigger cities with much bigger inner city problems than Huntsville and new folks assume the worst about the central city based on past experience. Folks come here assuming they must live in the suburbs in an area where their home address is anything other than "Huntsville." Somehow suburbs (ie. surrounding cities and outlying communities like Hampton Cove) become the rule for transplants. I've never understood that. Growing up here in the 80s there were no true suburbs. Madison, with maybe 4000 folks, was the closest thing we had. Now the sprawl is rampant with people content to drive 45 minutes to an hour to and from work because that's what they were used to in their former locations. I don't understand that either. And I don't buy the "schools" argument and quite frankly I'm tired of hearing about it. But that subject has been talked to death and I'll refrain now.
How about "new-ness"? I like new. New streets, new sidewalk, new stores... all tend to be around new housing developments. We found several neighborhoods closer to Huntsville proper that were plenty nice... but they were old. I don't want to do dramatic renovations on a place I just forked over a ton of money for.

IMO, this is the biggest reason for sprawl.

Old 05-13-2009, 07:36 PM

12,733 posts, read 21,642,812 times
I like new-ness. I like new developments. So from my interests and likes, I think both Madison and Hampton Cove are equal in my eyes with the new-ness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area