Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 08:38 AM

1,134 posts, read 2,866,363 times

Advertisements

Well, we took a "better safe than sorry" approach...

I certainly don't want to be lugging hose over an acre yard. I talked to several people who had sprinklers installed after the fact, and each one said it saved them money versus what they were paying prior. Initially my yard will be just grass, but over time I'll be filling it out with trees, bushes, flower beds etc so I imagine I'll be using the water. Still, it will take years to recover the full cost. I'll consider the rest to be paying for convenience... and hey, the sprinkler sys can be a selling point for many people. I'd say about 40-50% of my neighborhood has one thus far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 02:21 PM

1,134 posts, read 2,866,363 times
I swear... realtor lady for the builder got back to me and apparently we were mistaken on the price of a sprinkler. $710 for the meter, $2940 for the base system, $890 for the extra zone (due to having large lot).

So basically about $1000 more than we figured. Holy cow pie that seems high.

Now I'm back to undecided. Is it really worth $4,490!?

Old 05-26-2009, 02:29 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DvlsAdvc8 View Post
....realtor lady for the builder got back to me......basically about $1000 more than we figure
What's her cut?

Old 05-26-2009, 10:15 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,952,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DvlsAdvc8 View Post
I swear... realtor lady for the builder got back to me and apparently we were mistaken on the price of a sprinkler. $710 for the meter, $2940 for the base system, $890 for the extra zone (due to having large lot).

There's another option, short of the meter, you can get all the parts at the big box stores and DIY.

Old 05-27-2009, 05:48 AM

36 posts, read 92,063 times
[quote=DvlsAdvc8;8929917]Seeking advice...

I'm having a house built and thinking about installing a sprinkler system. The builder is sodding the ~acre yard with bermuda grass. The additional cost would be about $3000 for the system and another $600 for a separate water meter.

I guess my question is: is it worth it?

I look around my area and see plenty of houses along the main road(s) with large green yards and no sprinkler system. I'm also concerned that a sprinkler system might get in the way of my plans to build an extended patio and pergola, as well as plant some trees and a garden.

On the other hand, I don't want to be lugging hose across an acre yard all the time, and I don't want to have a yard full of dead grass.

Am I to assume all these lush green lawns I see here in the country are going to burn up in the summer? If not, what's the secret?

Naturally, the folks who are "selling" me on the sprinkler system also benefit from my choosing to install one. So I thought I'd get a second opinion.[/quot

Yes, it is worth it. THat is not a bad price, either and you won't have to tear up your yard later. Make sure it is a full yard with heads in the landscaping beds too. You definately want the irrigation meter, especially if you are in the city of Madison.
Your yard will look good without, but will look excellent with the sprinkler system.

Old 05-27-2009, 08:09 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,952,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DvlsAdvc8

There's another option, short of the meter, you can get all the parts at the big box stores and DIY.
Another option, get some quotes from private contractors. Builders tend to charge you more for the same work.

Old 06-26-2009, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
never had a sprinkler system and I can count on one hand the number of summers I had to water at all,
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
I polled several long time local residents (whom I've known for 10+ years) and NONE have sprinkler system. They said it rain enough here that grass stay green,
I've been using my sprinkler system daily for weeks.

Old 06-28-2009, 07:31 PM

871 posts, read 2,884,195 times
Make sure you add an underground hose bib at the meter. You can do it now or have it done later. It is a cheap way to run a pressure washer or fill up a pool without paying sewer. You also get a 1" line off the meter, vs a 1/2" off the side of the house. Better for your pressure washer. With the red clay in a new neighborhood, you will be pressure washing at some point.

Agree with previous posts that the price sounds good and better to do before the sod is laid rather than tearing it up. Plan on sanding the yard in about 2 years after the lines settle.

Old 06-28-2009, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by autobahn View Post
Make sure you add an underground hose bib at the meter. You can do it now or have it done later. It is a cheap way to run a pressure washer or fill up a pool without paying sewer. You also get a 1" line off the meter, vs a 1/2" off the side of the house.
This is exactly what I did when I put in my irrigation system in another house. Normally, backyard faucets are plumbed with the house pipes, downstream of the 60 psi or so pressure regulator. I ran PVC upstream from my regulator to my backyard so I had street, 120psi pressure in the backyard for heavy duty yardwork and cleanup with a hose back there.

Old 06-28-2009, 10:44 PM

369 posts, read 1,145,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autobahn View Post
... or fill up a pool without paying sewer ...
BTW, if you just call up Huntsville Utilities and tell them you are filling your pool and the number of gallons, you can get it deducted from your sewer charge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area