U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 08:00 AM

9,936 posts, read 9,909,952 times
Great topic. Along these lines, where can I get a projector for my old 8mm movies?
I bought one at a yard sale couple years ago, and it worked until the bulb blew, and we couldn't find a replacement bulb anywhere. It turns out they don't make them any more.

I'd like to project them onto the wall so that I can sequence them in some order that makes sense. None of the envelopes have dates on them (the processor didn't date them and, unfortunately, I didn't either).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2009, 09:05 AM

11,100 posts, read 24,024,770 times
Ebay should have plenty of used 8mm and super 8 projectors.

This thread points out another fact of life - investing in the newest popular technology is rarely a good long term strategy. Consider all the money spent on 8mm and super 8 cameras and projectors and film, and then the actual hours of useful info. For some people those old home movies cost ten dollars or more per minute, and more in adjusted dollars. I copied the family movies to VHS a few years back. Copying to DVDs would be another expense, and copying to blu-ray or whatever the latest and greatest is, would be yet another expense.

When I look back at the money I've spent on various cameras, projectors, 35mm equipment, darkroom supplies, camcorders, and the like, I cringe. Now I stay comfortably behind the curve, and pick up the discounted or second hand stuff for pennies on the dollar.

Old 06-04-2009, 10:48 AM

9 posts, read 17,767 times
As far as I know, the local companies in this area simply videotape the image projected on a screen. There are far superior ways of doing it for the same or slightly more cost. It is much better to remove the screen from the equation and capture the image directly from the film or off a condenser lens. I currently own equipment that captures individual film frames digitally and assembles them into a digital video file on a PC. No flicker, partial images in a frame, or synch issues. The equipment also has an enlarged film gate that will capture all of the image on each frame. Almost all 8mm projectors end up masking the frame significantly.

I have plans to start a business transferring 8mm film to video, but that is a year or so off due to a home renovation and addition that is in progress. I would suggest that you Google "8mm telecine" and see what pops up. Costco's, and perhaps even Sam's and Wal-mart's, photo departments offer this service. It's farmed out to an outside company which I understand is typically YesVideo.com. They supposedly offer a good service for the price. YesVideo uses the same brand equipment I have, but without the frame to frame capture.

Last edited by murchmb; 06-04-2009 at 10:57 AM..

Old 06-04-2009, 11:14 AM

205 posts, read 357,585 times
I (used to, don't know if it is still there) have my dad's projector. I got bulbs from Southerland's photo. If I still have it -- you can have it. How is that. Southward bound?
No guarentees if it still works, it was in storage. Some off brand he bought, probably at KMart a LONG time ago. Still, it worked to get our movies on to digital media.

I am sure there are much better ways than I used to capture these movies, but the truth is, the quality wasn't so great even from the start. My dad loved to edit & there were a lot of splices, too. Using the Sony software, I could edit out the bad spots and put them together in whatever order I wanted, too. The cost to do the high-quality media transferance wasn't worth it for me.

Old 06-04-2009, 11:24 AM

9 posts, read 17,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milledj View Post
I am sure there are much better ways than I used to capture these movies, but the truth is, the quality wasn't so great even from the start.
The quality of a good, competent digital transfer might surprise you. Chances are, it will look better than even seen before when projected. Most home movie viewing environments aren't that great. Ambient light control, brightness of the projector, screen/projector quality can all affect how good the image looks. A good digital transfer will have proper focus, contrast, color control, and white balance. These are things that are difficult to control with a dark living room, a movie projector, and a pop up screen.

Old 06-04-2009, 01:12 PM

11,100 posts, read 24,024,770 times
If you are doing this at home, the best screen - by far - is a sheet of flat coated ink-jet paper. The second trick is to have a small amount of controlled ambient light in the room. Most camcorders automatically set the black and white points and adjust gamma. by raising the level of the black, you get better detail in the dark areas and the white doesn't wash out as much.

murchmb is absolutely correct though. A frame by frame capture can allow for some sophisticated color timing tweaks and clean-up of scratches and other problems. Here is how someone did it for 16mm:

Flatbed Scanner Digital Telecine (FSDT) Project

Of course the real pros, like SabuCat and others do a lot more than this to films like "Lawrence of Arabia" and "My Fair Lady"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area