Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 12:07 AM

1,250 posts, read 4,785,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
If that's your criteria, then all American music from jazz to blues to rock and roll and even bluegrass are "black music."
Quote:
Originally Posted by 540_804 View Post
Not to get into a discussion on music, but as I said in a previous post, at a time rap could have been considered 'black music' but certainly not any more. Its too universal/global. You have rap in every country and rappers of every nationality/ethnicity...

Of course, hip hop does have roots that are deep in African American culture, but if thats the basis on its classification as "black music" then we would have to classify everything from jazz, to the blues, to what we consider 'traditional southern gospel' to, yes...eve rock and roll.

But again, this thread shouldn't be about music or a certain group of people (though, unfortunately it is) but more about people who don't have respect for others by blasting music late at night or through residential areas, etc...

Ok that was too weird.

Old 06-10-2009, 12:15 AM

19 posts, read 77,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddy4LyF View Post
I understand your annoyance. What I will say is that you need to find some sort of inner peace or ability to control your anger. I'm not saying you've done anything irrational and that you're uncontrollable, not at all, but what I am saying is that if, like you said, you're sitting and enjoying a peaceful night, and one car comes down the street blaring music and as you say, you're just steaming mad... you have issues that are greater than disliking the music coming from people's cars. You can't control others or situations, but what you can control is yourself. I get annoyed by the same things but it doesn't last -- in fact, I don't even let it start. As long as I'm safe, my family is safe, my property is safe - what more can you ask for? Atleast you have crickets and wildlife to hear. I'm sure cars don't go flying down your rural block 24 hours per day - maybe you can enjoy the 23 hours of peace and quiet you get instead of being uncontrollably angry and miffed for the 1 hour of annoyance?
I appreciate the reasoned words of advice. I think the reason it angers me so much, is because of the expectations I had moving out here and where we moved from. It felt very free to get away from that culture and always hearing that music. And my expectations (after visiting family out here over 8 years) was that we'd be finally away from that bull. So when I hear it, it brings back negative feelings about where we left, and the feeling that we can't get away from it. That leads to the feeling of, "Okay fine, if I can't get away from it, I'll confront it my way."

But believe me, I do appreciate the peace we have. Even my blood pressure has come down living out here. lol But I've just had my fill of rap and the sick culture that comes with it. But I'll heed your advice and try to focus on the good, rather than the bad. If the dumb kids would just turn it down in residential areas, it would solve half the problem. However, I will never stop despising that music or the culture that spawned from it.

Old 06-10-2009, 01:05 AM

1,629 posts, read 5,382,832 times
while we're at it, let's get dem darn kids to stop a skate boarding on the sidewalks!

Old 06-10-2009, 03:22 AM

567 posts, read 1,744,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post

It's also annoying to see skinny little country boys riding around in huge quad cab monster trucks (which you know their parents pay for). Every time I see one of these trucks pull up I expect to see some big brawny guy get out, but nope, it's always a skinny little kid that might weigh 120lbs soaking wet.
HEY......That was me 19 years ago playing Hank Jr., Eddie Rabbit, Ted Nuggent, AC/DC.......ect...ect. Except I paid for my truck. We use to work when we were kids.

Old 06-10-2009, 05:59 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
Please stay on topic.. this thread isn't about Rap music.

Old 06-10-2009, 06:13 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
I am surprised you are having such a problem where you live but if it is happening late at night then I would call the sheriff and ask them to check it out since it is not the norm around here. There is a noise ordinance in Huntsville, maybe call the county commission in Morgan county and ask for something similar

I can sympathize too.. I lived in FL and they would play their radio's so loud my windows would shake when they drove by.

Old 06-10-2009, 07:13 AM

1,763 posts, read 7,335,319 times
-white suburban kids drive the rap industry

-kids generally rebel against their parents by latching on to what the parents like the least

Old 06-10-2009, 07:21 AM

4,511 posts, read 7,520,736 times
^

i cannot speak for/of ghetto (music) experiences in the u.s.a. but very much for other countries, where you cannot possibly call any police or even "civil" powers to keep a sort of eyelid on harrassment of the worst kind... because they might be either part or afraid of it.

Old 06-10-2009, 07:34 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,962,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarges Dad View Post
HEY......That was me 19 years ago playing Hank Jr., Eddie Rabbit, Ted Nuggent, AC/DC.......ect...ect. Except I paid for my truck. We use to work when we were kids.
Hank Williams Jr. would protest if you group his music with AC/DC !

But.. ahem.. to stay on topic. I wish I have a system just blast back the music at them with twice the amplititude. Have they taste their own medicine.

Old 06-10-2009, 07:37 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,962,729 times
Moderator cut: ..

Now that's funny !!!

I think as I get older (nevermind how old...), I get less patience with kids and all their little rebellious acts.

Last edited by Keeper; 06-10-2009 at 07:47 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area