U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 09:22 PM

144 posts, read 244,802 times
Default My neighbor is making a drug lab? Seriously What to do?

We've got some new neighbors that moved into a foreclosed house that went for rent 2 months ago. I'm not too close to my other neighbors but we have some casual conversations when out in our yards about these 2 kids (I'd say mid 20's), who I and others have categorized as engaging in suspicious behavior. They get a lot of visitors that seem to drop in at odd times and for short periods of time, all day and all night.

Now it seems that they're building some sort of room in the garage in the middle of the night with the garage door wide open. They got hardware, tools and equipment sprawled all over the front drive way all during the day and night as they build this thing in the garage. Some of the neighbors think that they're building some sort of meth lab but of course they're all to afraid to do or say anything about it to the authorities.

I thought about contacting Crime Stoppers and seeing what they say and I'm even afraid to report them as it could just be completely innocent or not, in which case I'm worried about retaliation if it was known that we complained or reported them.

Anybody have suggestions?

Old 06-23-2009, 11:56 PM

4,966 posts, read 10,174,813 times
Call the police and report what you've seen, and don't tell ANYBODY you've done that. Most of the time word gets around because the caller told a few people whom he thought would keep the confidence. It's not that people automatically blab. A lot of times they just forget.

Old 06-23-2009, 11:59 PM

803 posts, read 1,335,903 times
My God! They could be....they just COULD be...building a 1/2 bbl 3 tier homebrewing system (for beer of course). If you find out that's the case, let me know. I'd like to learn how to build one myself.

Old 06-24-2009, 06:10 AM

3,380 posts, read 4,574,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoo Shin View Post
We've got some new neighbors that moved into a foreclosed house that went for rent 2 months ago. I'm not too close to my other neighbors but we have some casual conversations when out in our yards about these 2 kids (I'd say mid 20's), who I and others have categorized as engaging in suspicious behavior. They get a lot of visitors that seem to drop in at odd times and for short periods of time, all day and all night.

Now it seems that they're building some sort of room in the garage in the middle of the night with the garage door wide open. They got hardware, tools and equipment sprawled all over the front drive way all during the day and night as they build this thing in the garage. Some of the neighbors think that they're building some sort of meth lab but of course they're all to afraid to do or say anything about it to the authorities.

I thought about contacting Crime Stoppers and seeing what they say and I'm even afraid to report them as it could just be completely innocent or not, in which case I'm worried about retaliation if it was known that we complained or reported them.

Anybody have suggestions?
Based on the info you provided I don't think there's sufficient evidence to warrant an investigation.

As your law enforcement officer might say...

How about walking up to those young men and introduce yourself like a good neighbor?

"hey what are you guys doing? making a drug lab?"...

Unless those 'visitors' that come in & out is creating a noise/ traffic problem.

If their garage is wide open during the day, can't you casually walk by and glance at what they're building? You'll need something more than "... hardware, tools and equipment...", that could be MY garage you're describing!

As for your gossiping neighbors... well, that's just who they are. Next thing they will talking something about you behind your back, probably already have.

You need some 'tangible evidence' to accuse someone who's making a drug lab. It's probably not difficult to collect those if they are making drugs. Take pictures/ videos if you can.

Old 06-24-2009, 06:28 AM

4,925 posts, read 5,778,814 times
I'd do what a couple of previous posters said...be sure I was a good neighbor to them. Shoot, be a little nosy..."That looks interesting...what'cha doing? Need any help?"
If you think you have enough info, do let the cops know and then SHUT UP about the call. It may be that the cops already know these guys.
Finally, an anonymous call to the landlord about the renovations that are taking place in his house may be in order.
Other than that, cameras work wonders...

Old 06-24-2009, 07:29 AM

1,764 posts, read 4,345,075 times
i agree with skinem -- go talk to 'em

and by the way, based on limited experience living in seedy areas, if these guys are making meth to use it themselves, they won't waste much time "building" anything at all. they'll cook it up right in the kitchen.

Old 06-24-2009, 07:35 AM

144 posts, read 244,802 times
Good advice. Aside from little facts that I have, I'm have nothing other then a hunch along with a paranoid wife and neighbors. I do wave and nod as I drive by and they seem nice. A young couple next door says it wreeks of moth balls when they go for their daily jog (I have no idea what moth balls has to do with anything).

Whatever it is, they're not worried about being discrete. On my way out this morning to work, they had the garage door wide open with a bunch of tools and lumber laying around.

The fact that they're actually building something in a rental house is odd to me. It's a like a large room, completely enclosed that takes up about 1/3 of the garage. Another thing that's kind of odd is that they both have handicap plates on their cars, though both appear to be fine.

The next time I'm walking the dog out I'll see if I can try and strike up some conversation or maybe see if I can snap a spy shot with my phone's camera.

Old 06-24-2009, 07:44 AM

1,764 posts, read 4,345,075 times
I have a set of renters on my block that caused problems. I attempted to speak with them, but there's a language barrier. Even though they knew what I was saying, or getting at, they ignored me.

Based on the deed restrictions, we hooked them and their landlord up with a nice letter and the problem was solved.

The difference here is that anyone could see they were in the wrong. In your case, it's hard to do.

Oh and some people who are scared of bugs and snakes drop mothballs all around their garage. Some people have gypsy moth restrictions / prevention measures when moving and have to use moth balls in the boxes.

Or this may be the biggest meth lab in the SE and you're about to get all CSI / Disturbia on 'em. Either way, keep us posted and if they start unloading sudafed by the case and propane, call the po po.

Old 06-24-2009, 07:47 AM

379 posts, read 517,568 times
Quote:
Good advice. Aside from little facts that I have, I'm have nothing other then a hunch along with a paranoid wife and neighbors. I do wave and nod as I drive by and they seem nice. A young couple next door says it wreeks of moth balls when they go for their daily jog (I have no idea what moth balls has to do with anything).

Whatever it is, they're not worried about being discrete. On my way out this morning to work, they had the garage door wide open with a bunch of tools and lumber laying around.

The fact that they're actually building something in a rental house is odd to me. It's a like a large room, completely enclosed that takes up about 1/3 of the garage. Another thing that's kind of odd is that they both have handicap plates on their cars, though both appear to be fine.

The next time I'm walking the dog out I'll see if I can try and strike up some conversation or maybe see if I can snap a spy shot with my phone's camera.
Probably just building a storage room. They are probably nice people, so go talk to 'em.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:30 AM

1,349 posts, read 1,908,289 times
Quote:
The fact that they're actually building something in a rental house is odd to me. It's a like a large room, completely enclosed that takes up about 1/3 of the garage.
Hey, that sound like my laundry room in the garage, previous owner put up drywall in a corner and made a laundry. And don't discount the fact they may have been granted permission from landlord to build whatever for their use (and dismantle on their way out)

Quote:
Another thing that's kind of odd is that they both have handicap plates on their cars, though both appear to be fine.
They may not have a Visible physical handicap, do they give out plates for mental problems?

And most of all, Tell me where you live so I can stay away from that neighborhood

Seriously now, IF they're up to something fishy, pray they don't read this thread - you walking the dog in that vicinity makes you pretty identifiable - don't rat them out

Grab a plate of cookies, go up to them for a meet-and-greet/welcome-to-our-neighborhood thing.

PS. A new season of Weeds started on HBO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area