Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 07:03 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,182,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
Walk, bike, car pool, or stay at home Moms. Some people drop off their kid in the morning and then arrange for after school care until they can pick the kid. The YMCA next to Weatherly has a great after school care program.

Lower taxes = fewer services. If you don't like the way we do things, you can always go back to Michigan.
Many states that have very high school property taxes ( and very cold winters ) have school districts that are going to bussing policies similar to this one.

I doubt with the milder winters in Huntsville ,weather is as much of a concern as it is for us .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 07:33 AM

2 posts, read 6,565 times
I know this might seem like a silly question to people who have lived in the area for much longer than me, but the SE part of Huntsville is fairly safe, right? I'm talking on Bailey Cove just past the Jones Valley shopping area... at least I think that's what it's called!

Old 07-20-2009, 07:35 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyandpaige View Post
I know this might seem like a silly question to people who have lived in the area for much longer than me, but the SE part of Huntsville is fairly safe, right? I'm talking on Bailey Cove just past the Jones Valley shopping area... at least I think that's what it's called!
That's a very nice neighborhood. Safe, convenient, pretty close to the Redstone Arsenal.

Old 07-20-2009, 07:59 AM

1,763 posts, read 7,332,123 times
I'll take a property tax hike, and I don't even have kids in school here.

The practice of almost everyone driving their kids to school at the same time is sheer insanity.

I never see a kid walking to the schools over there on Homer Nance, not even from across the street, but I do see 347,843 (yes, I count them) cars with one or two kids and mom/dad lined up back into TN taking the young'uns to school.

While we're at it, stagger the work hours too. HSV wouldn't have a traffic problem (hardly does now) if the kids rode a bus to school and the federal managers got smart and allowed more flexible hours / telework / RDO. Sheesh. This ain't rocket science.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:19 AM

1,351 posts, read 3,423,536 times
Instead of walking 2 miles "downstream" (FLOABW) to school, can he walk .5 "upstream" to the closest bus stop?

and btw, how far apart are the bus stops anyway? 2 miles?

FLOABW - for lack of a better word >> must've been starting something, maybe'll catch on

Old 07-20-2009, 08:50 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by friday13 View Post

FLOABW - for lack of a better word >> must've been starting something, maybe'll catch on
It's been around:

FLOABW - What does FLOABW stand for? Acronyms and abbreviations by the Free Online Dictionary.

Old 07-20-2009, 01:26 PM

956 posts, read 2,499,901 times
Why can't your brother ride with a neighbor if you can't take him? Find someone in the neighborhood and offer gas money occasionally, if you aren't open to the before and after school programs.

Old 07-20-2009, 01:50 PM

426 posts, read 1,272,214 times
I've been told that there is a rule in the Madison County School system that students *cannot* walk to school. Is this true? Tried to do a quick look on their site before posting but it is having some problems today.

We are within walking distance of our elementary school and there is a bus stop "down on the corner".

Old 07-20-2009, 02:37 PM

1,351 posts, read 3,423,536 times
Don't want to hijack this thread...but how's the morning traffic on Balch (Columbia Elem.), and more specifically children living in Buckingham S/D crossing the street to school. They live too close to qualify for bus service, but crossing that street seems daunting - i imagine there is a crossing guard on duty, but then again, how's the traffic due to frequent stops?

And getting out of the S/D, say making a right on Balch at St. Martin or back in the S/D upon return from work?
Man, some of Madison's (main) roads are ill-equipped to accommodate the influx of people (cars) and various "special groups" (children around schools) - Everytime I go out on a house scouting trip around Madison, that stretch of Balch Rd. in front of the school never ceases to amaze me: where are the sidewalks, the pedestrian xing signage, signals, markings? Same for Wall-Triana (St. Charles Place?, Horseshoe Bend, Bridgefield) walking to West Mad. - no sidewalks.

Old 07-20-2009, 03:01 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,434,489 times
Sidewalks!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area