Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 06:17 AM

46 posts, read 252,618 times

Advertisements

Website ValleyMLS.com useless in this respect as well as addresses (yes, I remember that fight). Anyway, where is a good place to find square foot on a house we're considering besides having to deal with a realtor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 06:42 AM

482 posts, read 2,417,558 times
If you have the address, go to Zillow.Com, it shows sq. footage.

Old 07-31-2009, 06:48 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,723,939 times
Also, check the Madison County Tax assessor EMaps site:

Madison County, Alabama Map

Emaps may be different than zillow. Zillow might be higher as I think it represents area that is heated and air conditioned. Emaps might show zillow square footage plus unconditioned storage space (like over the garage). I think that's what I get for our home.

Old 07-31-2009, 06:53 AM

Unfortunately, we don't have addresses. And that is really complicating things...thanks to the realtors in Huntsville who voted not to add addresses to MLS.

Old 07-31-2009, 06:57 AM

1,351 posts, read 3,423,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Also, check the Madison County Tax assessor EMaps site:

Madison County, Alabama Map

Emaps may be different than zillow. Zillow might be higher as I think it represents area that is heated and air conditioned. Emaps might show zillow square footage plus unconditioned storage space (like over the garage). I think that's what I get for our home.
For the main dwelling, the computation is as follows:
Total Living Area: is the heated and AC'ed area
Total Adjusted Area: living area+ garage footage (unheated)

An outbuilding in the backyard is shown separately.

Old 07-31-2009, 07:01 AM

1,351 posts, read 3,423,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kypeep View Post
Unfortunately, we don't have addresses. And that is really complicating things...thanks to the realtors in Huntsville who voted not to add addresses to MLS.
make an account with the public mls (valleymls), choose any realtor when you are prompted for one (don't need to contact him beforehand or have any business relationship), and setup email notifications (saved searches) and you'll get a MLS report like the one that is posted outside outside a for sale house (adress-map, sqft, and all)

Old 07-31-2009, 07:03 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,723,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kypeep View Post
Website ValleyMLS.com useless in this respect as well as addresses (yes, I remember that fight). Anyway, where is a good place to find square foot on a house we're considering besides having to deal with a realtor?
Here are a couple techniques I tried:

Get the MLS number and google it along with "Madison" or "huntsville" or something that keeps it local. There will probably be other web pages showing that house. Sometimes the address is in them.

Some times the address is in the frame of one of the house photos or in the description (text field)...."This beautiful home at 1313 Mockingbird Lane...."

If you can figure out what neighborhood it is in (from the elementary school for example), use zillow or trulia to get an aerial view of the neighborhood and pinpoint the house with that exact price. You can then use EMAPS to get the address from a map.

Try googling the exact price too with commas and dollar signs.

Old 07-31-2009, 08:36 AM

369 posts, read 1,145,844 times
The simplest thing is to have a realtor.

If you want to avoid that for some reason, you can narrow it down to 500-sqft increments in the search feature. Choose "More search options" and then pick a min and max sqft. It won't get the exact number, but at least in the ballpark.

Old 07-31-2009, 09:41 AM

482 posts, read 990,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by friday13 View Post
make an account with the public mls (valleymls), choose any realtor when you are prompted for one (don't need to contact him beforehand or have any business relationship), and setup email notifications (saved searches) and you'll get a MLS report like the one that is posted outside outside a for sale house (adress-map, sqft, and all)
^ Probably the easiest thing.

Hotpads.com is another possible choice. You can search Huntsville Homes for sale, and they include the addresses. Now, this site isn't connected directly to the MLS database (they're all entered manually from Homes & Land Magazine), so all the listings aren't there and it could be a little out of date, but it could be a good supplement to the other work you do. Most of the square footages are on there too.

Old 07-31-2009, 12:53 PM

Friday13, it's sure not working like that for me. Even once I get the houses I want under "saved searches," it still looks the same as it does viewing it on the MLS. What am I doing wrong?

Seth - Like your website. Very valuable for newcomers to be able to see what's for sale by subdivision.

On another subject: My house-hunting friend (that I'm trying to help) thought she read in one of the home ads that kids aren't allowed at Mt Carmel pools. Is that right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area