U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 12:05 PM

165 posts, read 299,448 times

Advertisements

BTW, I'm surprised no one has mentioned Zesto...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 04:14 PM

4,617 posts, read 2,433,487 times
How about the Dwarf Restaurant, Miracle City - and I doubt anyone else will remember buying tamales from Yarborough's in the mill district off Triana Blvd.

Old 09-23-2009, 06:45 PM

3,728 posts, read 3,109,628 times
Wasn't there a Woolworth's with a lunch counter in the Heart of H'ville

Old 09-23-2009, 06:47 PM

3,728 posts, read 3,109,628 times
I also remember Shakey's Pizza on south parkway.

Old 09-23-2009, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey teach View Post
Wasn't there a Woolworth's with a lunch counter in the Heart of H'ville
There was. Had lunch there with my mom many times. They made great milkshakes. It was actually in an adjacent space, with a doorway connecting it to the store.

Walgreens had a restraunt too, again with a doorway connecting it to the store. Walgreens had all of these molded fiberglass booths. Very '60s! I liked their french fries.

Old 09-23-2009, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey teach View Post
I also remember Shakey's Pizza on south parkway.
Me too. The other day, I was trying to remember exactly where it was. I'm pretty sure it was on the east side and south of Drake Avenue. Maybe about where the Red Fed is now. We lived in Lakewood and it seemed like a long drive back then.

The interior was kind of medieval: very dark with a big fireplace, and rough-cut tables and benches. There was a player piano that they played songs on, and a slide projector projected the lyrics on the wall, and they encouraged patrons to sing. There were big windows separating the seating area from the kitchen, with benches in front of them were the kids stood and watched the pizza being made. They hand-tossed the crusts. It was about the only pizza place in town then.

Here's another one for you: Lum's Hot Dogs. It was on Jordan Lane between 565 and University, about where the Burger King is now. When Lum's first opened, they used to steam their hot dogs in beer, and the sign out front advertised as much. Well, of course, the state had a conniption fit about that. Eventually they were allowed to keep cooking the dogs in beer since they had a license, but they had to cover over the portion of the sign that said so. (For the same reason, when Steak and Ale first opened in Huntsville, they operated under the name "Jolly Ox" because they weren't allowed to have a sign with the word "ale" on it.)

Old 09-24-2009, 12:02 AM

4,617 posts, read 2,433,487 times
Charles Chips delivering those wonderful potato chips to your door - YUM!!! G.C. Murphy's and the "Super Slide" at Parkway City. Mugs Up Rootbeer on the Parkway. Sertoma Playland and the miniature train circling the first lagoon at Brahan Springs Park. Alfie's Fish and Chips. Albertson's. London Transit. Yogi Bear's Honey-Fried chicken. Dipper Dan's Ice Cream.

Old 09-24-2009, 07:57 PM

807 posts, read 1,440,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornutt View Post
BTW, I'm surprised no one has mentioned Zesto...
My mom worked at Zesto's when she was a teenager in the 60s, just after her family moved here from California.

Old 09-24-2009, 11:58 PM

5,024 posts, read 10,887,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
...Mugs Up Rootbeer on the Parkway...
Really? We had a Mugs Up in Decatur...I had no idea it was a chain. Of course, probably a very small chain!

Old 09-25-2009, 01:06 AM

3,253 posts, read 5,186,465 times
Dirt Grinder - one of my first jobs was at Alfies Fish and Chips (~Checkers on Governors), I used to crank up the juke box after closing and play KISS while mopping. They closed soon after I started working there.

London Transit! That men's clothing store was so cool - and it was in a prime location (on a corner at the center of the Mall by the fountain), plus they always had cute girls working there. IIRC they had part of a red double-decker London bus for their displays. I remember buying a three piece 'Brittania' brand denim suit from them in the late 70s.

cornutt - I also used to work at the Walgreens at the Mall, and would eat / take breaks at the lunch counter (loved the Reubens).

Night golfing at the Piedmont Par Three course (~Wings on Airport Road).

'Parking' on Bankhead Parkway (back side of the mountain).

The Carriage Inn at University and Jordan used to have one of the better nightclub / restaurants in town (worked as bus boy) - they had a blues singer there to whom I enjoyed listening. The singer was lowered to the stage on a red velvet swing that dropped from the ceiling. They had what may have been the only lobster tank in town. They served liquor in miniatures. I remember the guy who played Mannix (Mike Connors) stayed there one time and got sloshed. I also remember driving home one night about 2am (speeding - ~70mph on Pratt) and getting pulled over in Five Points by about 6 cops. I had not only spilled a drink on my uniform earlier but I had my 'collection' of miniatures all over the floorboard - they laughed and let me go...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area