U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 12:36 AM

57 posts, read 183,189 times

Advertisements

I have been noticing lots of bamboo palms, yuccas, and windmill palms growing in Huntsville and Madison. After a week of vacationing in Orlando in March, I have grown to love palm trees. I remembered driving back up here and saying "I am going to miss the palms." Now I am seeing yuccas growing in neighborhoods, around shopping centers, and some restaurants. Longhorn Steakhouse off of University is one prime example.

Then, there are windmill palms growing in some areas of the city. There are two at the Knights Inn on University, one at the Mercedes of Huntsville, a few along US 72, and a few in North Huntsville. I am 24 and have lived here my entire life. I have never seen palms grow in this area until now. I am thrilled that palms are thriving in this area.

I don't like warm weather year-round, but I wish we were in a climate where we can have date palms, queen palms, and Washingtonia robusta palms. Those types would amaze me in this area!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2009, 01:31 AM

896 posts, read 2,133,117 times
Palm trees in North Alabama.That's like palm trees in Tennessee. Spanish moss doesn't even grow here.South Alabama has the climate for that type of stuff.
Montgomery is full of spanish moss and Mobile has palm trees and spanish moss.

Old 08-31-2009, 06:35 AM

1,806 posts, read 4,800,939 times
Actually...Spanish Moss will grow here...but it must emerge after reseeding every Spring. Not a year-round, full of glory kinda thing. So the Spanish Moss Guy tells us. Spanish Moss Home Page

I have seen some small amounts draped in trees around here, certainly taken from other locals...not knowing how long it's been there...

I brought some with me from SoFl...that died. Did not appreciate the dry, dark freeze in a friend's garage that winter.
This spring, a pal mailed a HUGE box from Orlando, courtesy of his sidewalk...that's now strung around the property and off my hanging planters. Misted every other day, grooooovy. Some will come inside and some will stay in the trees. Seems to like the Dogwood here as much as the Banyan, Poinciana and Oak back home.

I'll let you know next spring.

There is a tree fern/fern tree that grows here, too - takes a hard freeze...I had an Australian version in my yard in Jupiter, am going to, once funded, purchase the other (Tasmanian, somethin') for the woodlands...ground orchids (Lady Slippers) will grow here, too.

Palm...yep, going to find a place for one. Have some tiny Yucca in a pot right now, to go in the ground next year.

Old 08-31-2009, 09:08 AM

57 posts, read 183,189 times
I was surprised that I actually saw a Spanish Moss growing on a tree next to the Subaru station on University. I had never paid attention to any trees before I left for Florida in March. Just seeing palm trees and yuccas growing around here makes it obvious that Alabama is certainly no different from Florida.

Old 08-31-2009, 10:18 AM

1,806 posts, read 4,800,939 times
Locals = localEs...

I'm having trouble growing ferns, but that's just because I need more humus and less clay in my planting beds.
My composter is getting a workout. Every leaf that falls this autumn is going in to the soil-making-process, not leaving the property.

I'd think with the palms or palm wanna-be's, you'd have to add sand or grit to the soil for drainage...wondering if special additives are recommended. Definitely check with the nursery staff or Master Gardener about prepping.

Alabama differs in that it gets VERY DRY up here. That simply never happened in South Florida - even what we considered drought conditions had a moisture of some sort in the air. In Huntsville some days are ridiculously humid and others are more northern. Also, the amount of rocks compacted in to the soil...err, clay. Soil? What soil?

Old 08-31-2009, 12:18 PM

4,210 posts, read 7,776,970 times
Yucca plants are native to this area.

As for palms, there are some new supposedly cold-hardy varieties which IMO will die as soon as we get a cold Winter.

This has been an odd Summer with all the rain, usually we have a hot dry Summer and a cool wet Winter, each with some extreme days (0- degrees or 100+ degrees).

Old 08-31-2009, 03:54 PM

5,705 posts, read 14,777,862 times
It has been unusual weather...I wouldn't expect any palm or palm-type plant to survive a normal North Alabama winter. Normal meaning occasional lows of 0 degrees, or even a week with highs in the teens, and a couple of snowfalls of an inch or more.

Our weather has NOT been normal the last three or four years. When I've grown palms, I've had them in pots that I move into the south-facing garage for winter (generally December through early March). You can mulch banana trees heavily and the roots might have a chance of surviving.

Or you can build a shelter of plastic and a light bulb.

Or winter in Orlando or Key West!

Old 08-31-2009, 05:46 PM

4,496 posts, read 5,523,161 times
Yucca's grow well here and weather the winter fine. I have two Sega Palms, but they are in pots and will be moved into the garage over the winter. I saw some planted in-ground on Countess Road, but I can't imagine they will last through any below freezing temperatures.

Old 08-31-2009, 08:25 PM

369 posts, read 960,711 times
hardiestpalms.com :: Cold-Hardy Palm List (http://www.hardiestpalms.com/ColdHardyPalmList.html - broken link)

Old 08-31-2009, 09:41 PM

4,403 posts, read 7,757,496 times
Check out this website, it lists several palm trees that can survive in this area

Cold Palms Corporation - Tropical Paradises for Colder Climates

They are located on 431 in OXR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area