Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 09:43 AM

1,977 posts, read 4,183,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Limestone Dude View Post
Lets just say if a fit & young man (<30) like myself grips about having to walk to a store in Bridge Street, then they will definitely will tick off the older and less fit customers. (Average weight of men and women around here looks to be over 200lbs)
How do you go about shopping at the other malls around town? Maybe you should stick to online shopping...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 10:51 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,856,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DvlsAdvc8 View Post
I like Bridgestreet, but there's little of retail value for me there.
We do too. Da wife enjoys shopping in various stores but she only buys "selectively". She enjoys Antropologies <think that's what it is>, the one with moss planted on the wall.

Quote:
Hard for us to justify driving to the opposite side of town for a coffee - but we do it once in awhile on good weather days.
Well, we also enjoy driving across town just to go shopping . That's a part of shopping experience, isn't it? Sometimes we will drive to the mall on Cecil Ashburn just to walk around there. Sometimes we'll go eat at "I love Sushi" just to get away. Shopping is suppose to be leisure & enjoyable experience.

As for walking in mall, pretty much all the large malls will require lots of walking (for example, Pentagon city mall). The difference is this one is outdoors. I think they can "add" to the ambience if they spray cool mist along the side walk in the summer and provide heat lamp in the winter.

But you must admit, the Bridge Street Mall "elevates" Huntsville status for the out-of-staters. Recently I took a friend there, who was here on business, and he was impressed as the mall is equall or better than most malls in California. When we were house hunting, we were happy to have "discovered" the Brideg Street Mall, not quite the "Fashion Island" or "Costa Mesa" malls but it's a step toward the right direction.

At some point, we need more than just "Super Walmart" and "All-U-can-eat" Buffets.

Old 09-21-2009, 12:34 PM

1,134 posts, read 2,853,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
At some point, we need more than just "Super Walmart" and "All-U-can-eat" Buffets.
Agreed. I kinda wish they would have built a really nice mall where the public housing is off governors... not far from the I565/Memorial Pkwy intersection.

Development in Huntsville is kinda awkward. Madison Mall is old and sketchy, Parkway Place is nice but kinda small, bland and weak on anchor stores... and in generally everything is scattered all over the place.

Gimme 1 big mall, centrally located, with the Monoco theater (or a Muvico like they have at Arundle Mills in MD), a variety of restaurants (high and low end), with Bass Pro Shop and Best Buy as anchors - as well as the regulars. It would be THE place to go.

Old 09-21-2009, 04:48 PM

12,733 posts, read 21,629,218 times
This where the large scale shopping centers come in. But NNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOO y'all don't want even one of the malls.

Old 09-21-2009, 05:32 PM

105 posts, read 288,307 times
^Is this guy for real?

Old 09-21-2009, 05:34 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,427,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
This where the large scale shopping centers come in. But NNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOO y'all don't want even one of the malls.

It might not be that simple. Online shopping is wiping traditional malls out, just like newspapers are being wiped out.

The vanishing shopping mall - THE WEEK

deadmalls DOT com

Old 09-21-2009, 05:42 PM

355 posts, read 959,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingInMadison View Post
^Is this guy for real?
Sadly I think he is.

Last edited by E Limestone Dude; 09-21-2009 at 05:52 PM..

Old 09-21-2009, 05:49 PM

4,984 posts, read 9,050,837 times
Bridge Street looks nice but for some reason it seems out of place in Huntsville in my opinion.Walking Bridge Street seemed no different than walking Madison Square. When I was living in Huntsville I noticed that Bridge Street stayed empty even during peek Christmas shopping days. I can`t help but to wonder if developers are seeing the outcome of Bridge Street then why are they building Consilation and The Waters, it just doesn`t make any sense to me.

Old 09-21-2009, 06:01 PM

103 posts, read 276,923 times
I am sad that Kate Spade is closing, my husband did buy me a purse there for my birthday. I went to pick it out and salesperson was just so nice and even remembered me when my husband went to buy the purse. Of course, I guess that says something about the number of customers they were used to seeing. But we can only afford one purse, I couldn't keep them in business all by myself And remember, just because the engineers don't go shopping all that much, doesn't mean their wives don't.

And then there's me...the rare female engineer....lucky me I can hit up Bridge Street AND Madison Square mall on the way home from work!

Old 09-21-2009, 06:07 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,427,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirat_cat View Post
...lucky me I can hit up Bridge Street AND Madison Square mall on the way home from work!

What about your "lucky" husband who wanted that money to restore his 1965 Mustang?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area