Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 11:33 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,422,019 times

Advertisements

There is indeed a lot of wheat grown here, but it is "soft" wheat, which is better for baking biscuits. "Hard" wheat, grown in colder climes, is better for baking bread. I believe it has to do with the gluten content. I'm sure Tammie2 can explain better than I.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 11:33 AM

205 posts, read 590,019 times
That is very interesting. I just baked a loaf last night (I cheat -- use a breadmaker--) If you were closer, I would go for it, but it would be difficult to get over there for me. So...the next best thing is King Arthur? I have used that, but had some issues with wheat gluten. Maybe I added too much.

Deb

Old 10-22-2009, 12:18 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,960,798 times
Hi Tammie, we would like to order but not sure the quantity or frequency. Is there a minimum requirement?

Old 10-22-2009, 12:32 PM

692 posts, read 1,502,963 times
I would be happy to meet you someplace Deb.

But getting to bread, what was wrong with the loaf and what type of bread was it? I might be able to help.

This is a good loaf for starter bread bakers-no gluten to start, it can be tricky...this will yield a slightly sweet white loaf. The extra sugar makes the yeast more active resulting in a greater margin for errors.

1 c warm water(110°f)
1/3 c sugar
2-1/2 tsp yeast(1 envelope)

Proof the yeast by dissolving the sugar in the water and sprinkling the yeast on top, allow it to set until it looks "creamy" and puffy(do not use a metal spoon after this point, metal mixer parts are ok, they are a different grade).

Add
1/8 c veg oil
1 c flour mixed with 1/2 tsp salt(I do it right in the cup)
2 c flour-1/2 c at a time until the bread comes together and is no longer sticky.

Different flour has different moisture levels, I typically end up needing extra flour. When I was in Houston, I needed A LOT more due to the humidity. If you want to add whole wheat flour, add 1/2-1 c with the remaining being white(all purpose). It will take longer to rise with whole wheat also.

Cover the bowl with a warm damp cloth(paper towel does fine-i have bread towels, but I didn't start that way)
Allow it to rise 45-60 minutes or until doubled
Shape into a loaf(or put in a loaf pan for a more uniform loaf)
Recover with warm cloth
Allow to rise 45-60 minutes

Bake it 30 min @ 350° it is done when you knock on the surface and it sounds hollow.

Happy baking!!!

If you still have trouble, you can always come on over, I can show you better than I can tell you. Be sure to still let me know what went wrong.

Last edited by tammie2; 10-22-2009 at 12:47 PM..

Old 10-22-2009, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
If you are into fresh, have you considered grinding your own from local sources? There is a lot of wheat grown here.
Each time I order I look into grain mills then decide....next time

I don't think I am that ambitious yet. I fear if I had to grind first I would never get my baking done.

But thank you for the suggestion, I didn't know locally grown wheat existed. I try to buy local when possible-hence grow alabama and my love affair with farmers markets.

Old 10-22-2009, 01:01 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,066,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbruce View Post
Yes, I would like to place an order. I live in Huntsville also. email address: paulabruce256@comcast.net
Welcome to the City-Data Forums. Thank you also for buying Montana grown wheat. Besides logging and mining (those are going away fast), growing grains is just about all we have going for us anymore. I go right out my door and see this scene all the time. We had good crops this year so prices should stay stable.

Old 10-22-2009, 02:26 PM

360 posts, read 1,533,069 times
Default I'll give it a try - newbie to baking bread

Same question as HB2HSV... Can I just get 10 lb to start? I prefer whole wheat or heftier bread to "white"; is Prairie Gold my best bet? Also, I'm in Harvest/Madison area...not sure how best to meet up with you; I'm willing to drive to arsenal/research park/UAH area to pick up/pay. Thanks for the recipe.

Old 10-22-2009, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherBravesFan View Post
Same question as HB2HSV... Can I just get 10 lb to start? I prefer whole wheat or heftier bread to "white"; is Prairie Gold my best bet? Also, I'm in Harvest/Madison area...not sure how best to meet up with you; I'm willing to drive to arsenal/research park/UAH area to pick up/pay. Thanks for the recipe.
Absolutely, that is why I put it out there, this way you qualify for bulk shipping. We had many people that did that, a few lbs of flour, maybe a few pounds of rice or oats...as much or as little as you want. If someone places an individual order, there is a $50 shipping minimum and even then shipping is more costly.

As for type, what type of bread do you purchase? Include a brand too please...even if it is publix bakery or whatever. That should help figure it out.

Most dark breads involvle a combo of natural white(which is still a whole wheat from WM) and either prairie gold or bronze chief. They also sell 7 grain cereal, 7 grain whole(this needs to be cracked, milled, or soaked extensively), and 9 grain cracked(I typically soak this when I proof the yeast for a nutty flavor and use it for topping for what the kids call "bird seed bread"). If you aren't ready to take that step, I can give you a few cups of mine so you can try it.

Old 10-22-2009, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Hi Tammie, we would like to order but not sure the quantity or frequency. Is there a minimum requirement?
Feel free to order as much or as little as you want!

When I place my next order, I will let you know again and if you don't want to order, you don't have to. If you start running low before I appear ready, let me know, I could be close and I have no problems ordering a bit early.

In a normal year, I order in February and October, I was behind this year. I have ordered earlier and later to accommodate the group.

Old 10-22-2009, 03:48 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,960,798 times
Tammie, I am in. Just DM me when you're ready to order.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area