Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 02:38 AM

1,134 posts, read 2,854,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionlife View Post
It seems some posters believe their personal experiences are the only ones to abide by and that affects their responses to other posters in regard to who/whom will come here with the BRAC.
It also seems some posters can't respond directly to the person for whom their post is intended and instead choose to use this strange indirect reference. Being I'm the only one that offered my experience as evidence, I assume you're referring to me. Well, I'm right here, you can respond to me and not "some posters".

I gave my opinion about who I believe is moving here and the influence it has on house prices. Guess since my opinion doesn't agree with you I'm downplaying you. I can only tell you what I've seen. Perhaps you'd like to conduct a proper survey of the Huntsville-Madison area and really slam the door on my opinion. Of course, that doesn't really determine who is coming here in the future so the truth is anyone's guess.

Quote:
If true, what will these people do for fun at night other than make "wholesomes" out of "twosomes?"
Who on earth is moving from DC to Huntsville for the nightlife? Those that find that important should stay in DC; as most who do are likely to. See, you're actually on the track that I was thinking now. Cities reflect the people in them. Huntsville is loaded with families with young children and this is reflected in the recreation here. Folks seeking a big night scene don't have much incentive to move here. That scene usually depends on the single 20-somethings.

Any information garnered from CityData forums isn't really an improvement over my "anecdotal evidence".

Good luck with the research.

Dual income, early 30s, 1 kid - moved from NoVA because we were done with the more aggressive pace of life and wanted a smaller area that still had the major stores/restaurants we enjoy. Huntsville has a good combination of high income employment, relatively low cost of living given that income, prospects for growth, plus good schools and enough commercial/recreational outlets.

Want something to do at night, I did a quick search for you:

Go see the Huntsville Symphony Orchestra. Catch an evening Stars game (out of season at the moment). See the Havoc. See the United States Army Band. Go to the art museum during the afternoon, have dinner at Cotton row and then walk around the downtown area. Heck, its October, do the "Ghosts of Huntsville" walking tour. Go to the Huntsville Planetarium.

Catch Battery (very good Metallica coverband) at Crossroads downtown. See Saliva and local bands in Decatur. Hang out at Huntsville's largest bike night (~50 to 100 motorcycles of all kinds, often live music) at Hooters every thursday night (also out of season at the moment).

Have dinner at Bridge Street and some drinks while watching a movie in the VIP area of the Monoco.

Scarecrow Trail, Taste Of Huntsville, Athens Historic "Haunts Walks"--Athens, Halloween Show at Fantasy Playhouse -Decatur, Guntersville Haunted Hayride, Face2Face Improv, UAH Hockey, Darkwood Farms Haunted House and Hayride--Arab, "Sid the Serpent Who Wanted to Sing" at Arss Nova Theatre, William Shakespeare's Romeo Juliet, Family Services Center's 17th Annual Harvest Moon Wine Fest...

And thats almost all in October. For its size, Huntsville offers quite a bit - this is just night time stuff. The list grows dramatically when you start talking day time stuff with kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2009, 08:27 AM

1,645 posts, read 4,566,700 times
Thanks posters for all the good info. It seems most of us are relatively happy with our move, but that we have some things we aren't happy with. There is a balanced mix of dual, single, young family, and older close to retirement families on the board.

According to one poster, who would move here for night life? Well, no one would cause there isn't any. There are a lot of fun things to do in the area. Looks like most are family oriented activities which is probably why this area is the number one area in the nation for families.

I agree.

Personally, I never asked about nightlife for myself, but for someone who came here as a transfer from Ohio and doesn't have kids, but is married, and would like to something different than see a hockey game or watch a symphony concert. I think the Ghost walk would be fun, but it's not really dinner and dancing, is it?

I think the more posters who answer the list will give a better and more accurate picture of the demographics of the newbies moving here than one person's anecdotal evidence as a reference point. Perhaps we should see if the KEEPER will move the list into a new thread and we can start there.

Also, there is no reason to be antagonistic toward posters on this forum, regardless of their positions on certain topics. Frankly, it's easy to be mean if one is anonymous and that is not the purpose of this list of questions.

Posters will be more eager to post their answers if they feel they won't be judged for their perspective or personal experiences.

Old 10-24-2009, 04:44 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,861,751 times
OK, I will offer my personal observation based on reading this forum NIGHT & DAY over a period of one year.

DON'T COMPLAINT ABOUT THE LACK OF BIG CITY LIFE IN HUNTSVILLE !!!

Despite some poster's attempts of wanting to move the entire Atlanta (or DC, or Ohio) to Huntsville. Please, drink something sober. It ain't gonna happen.

You did not come here for the big city life, so don't whine about the lack of them. Huntsville doesn't have BIG CITY PROBLEMS neither. It is what it is.

Now we return to our regular programming....

[post script:] Now y'all got me missing all the night clubing at the Red Onions, man those were the good 'ol days

Old 10-24-2009, 09:52 PM

1,645 posts, read 4,566,700 times
Wouldn't it be nice if they were all this honest?

YouTube - Painfully Honest and Epic Mobile Home Commercial

Old 10-25-2009, 12:12 AM

12,733 posts, read 21,640,273 times
Any new apartments approved or are under construction in the area?

Old 10-25-2009, 12:22 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,336,985 times
Quote:
Wouldn't it be nice if they were all this honest?

YouTube - Painfully Honest and Epic Mobile Home Commercial
That commercial is awesome...and the linked "how it's made" video...great entertainment!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area