Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 07:44 AM

1,645 posts, read 4,585,102 times

Advertisements

I thought I'd lighten things up now with another Top Ten Post ala moi--feel free to share your top ten favorite things to do here--

1. Wine and Stein -- fun place to hang out, especially on Thursday nights when they have wine tastings.
2. Driving to small towns like Athens and Cullman and checking out their historic houses and districts.
3. Von Braun Center for Broadway shows and theater that is relatively inexpensive.
4. Watching the local HS Football team play with all the hoopla of band and dance and cheer.
5. Bridge Street's Monaco Theater/Scene It to people watch and Prive for the adult only movies--
6. Hanging out with new friends, cooking great food and sharing good times.
7. Participating in the Liz Hurley Pink Ribbon Walk/Run and enjoying all the support of all the well-wishers along the route--save the tatas!
8. Botanical Gardens; especially the Butterfly Garden--very fun.
9. Checking out the fall colors along route 65 on the way to Birmingham or Nashville--gorgeous views
10. Chillin' on the Veranda with my favorite people
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2009, 08:04 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,837,174 times
Try the Lookout Mtn Scenic Parkway this fall. Beautiful colors. And for those of us who like history and hikes, the walks offered of the different districts downtown and the cemetary. We love Burrit on the Mtn for their events and the Land Trust hikes. We try to go on the Thanksgiving hike of Monte Sano and then no guilt at eating dinner later.

Old 10-23-2009, 09:11 AM

Mawoods, I forgot the Tickenham Ghost Walk--a few of us want to go on that as well. Would be fun!

Old 10-23-2009, 09:15 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,185,872 times
Hiking in Monte Sano State Park
Feeding the ducks at Big Spring Park
Checking out the Art Museum.
Visiting Constitution Village, the Depot, taking Ghost Walk tours for Huntsville history.
Catching a game and rays at "the Joe".
Enjoying Chargers hockey--while you still can!
Visiting Harrison Bros. Hardware on the square for a taste of a "real" hardware store--pre-Home Depot.
Participating in the Cotton Row Run.
Picking through the Habitat for Humanity store for home renovation "finds".
...and if you haven't yet taken out of town guests...go at least once to the Space and Rocket Musuem and the IMAX.

Old 10-23-2009, 10:17 AM

103 posts, read 278,115 times
My favorite things so far:

Eating at my favorite Mexican restaurant: El Camino Real on University.
Shopping and people watching at Bridge Street.
Going to arena football games at the VBC (only been to one game but we loved it!)
Getting a thick-as-ice-cream milkshake from Red Robin. That's ONE thing we have that B'ham doesn't by the way---the closest one down there is in Trussville.
Watching the staff toss pizza dough at Tortora's.
Drive around and marvel at the lack of traffic (we used to live right off 280).
Going to the space and rocket center occasionally.
Poking around houses being constructed in our neighborhood.
Sitting at home and enjoying the view of the mountains.
Call my mom in B'ham and complain about how cold it is "way up North."

Old 10-23-2009, 11:50 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,837,174 times
One more thing which is very personal - we have an outdoor fireplace that we enjoy sitting and having coffee or wine and looking at those mountains and seeing the sunsets. Never had one before and could not have imagined how much we have enjoyed it. We are getting older and very mellow!!!!!

Old 10-23-2009, 12:22 PM

I've not visited constitution village and when we did the Liz Hurley Pink Ribbon Walk, I was very intrigued by the houses and more. Can't wait to see it up close and personal.

I didn't know the Habitat for Humanity had a shop for stuff for just anyone. Where is it?

Old 10-23-2009, 12:33 PM

1,351 posts, read 3,423,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionlife View Post
I've not visited constitution village and when we did the Liz Hurley Pink Ribbon Walk, I was very intrigued by the houses and more. Can't wait to see it up close and personal.

I didn't know the Habitat for Humanity had a shop for stuff for just anyone. Where is it?
The Habitat ReStore is on Pratt (corner with Washington), just as you come off 565 via Downtown (Washington Ave.) exit (#19?), make a left toward Pratt.

Last edited by friday13; 10-23-2009 at 12:45 PM..

Old 10-23-2009, 12:43 PM

Thanks Friday13, I appreciate the info. And Yes, we have gone to the Rocket Ship museum and IMAX -- it's very nice.

The accessibility of the things to do here is nice. We definitely enjoy being able to see all our friends and do fun things with them with zero or little commute.

BBQs at the house, dinners out at Cantina Laredo, and meeting friends at PF Changs for drinks is a nice treat.

Makes life here golden.

Old 10-23-2009, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirat_cat View Post
My favorite things so far:

Eating at my favorite Mexican restaurant: El Camino Real on University.
Shopping and people watching at Bridge Street.
Going to arena football games at the VBC (only been to one game but we loved it!)
Getting a thick-as-ice-cream milkshake from Red Robin. That's ONE thing we have that B'ham doesn't by the way---the closest one down there is in Trussville.
Watching the staff toss pizza dough at Tortora's.
Drive around and marvel at the lack of traffic (we used to live right off 280).
Going to the space and rocket center occasionally.
Poking around houses being constructed in our neighborhood.
Sitting at home and enjoying the view of the mountains.
Call my mom in B'ham and complain about how cold it is "way up North."
I love RED ROBIN. It's our happy place to go when we are feeling blue about something. Don't just go there for the burgers. They have an amazing appetizer menu.

Hey we have a restaurant that isn't in B'ham? Cool!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area