Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 10:27 AM

14 posts, read 35,723 times

Advertisements

I will never get used to kindergartners playing football! It just seems so odd. In Ohio they started in 4th grade, which I thought was young.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 10:55 PM

168 posts, read 311,105 times
Default I will never get used to this in HSV.......

- Alabama vs. Auburn obsession. Total waste of time and energy!
- Southerners stubbornness that lasts long after they realize they are dead wrong on an issue.
- Suburban buildout Hell. Obesity and general lack of respect for others are symptoms of this greater problem.
- Completely inhospitable for pedestrians and bicyclists, which is sad since gas will be over $10/gallon within a generation. It seems like a person on 2 wheels gets killed about every other month, which is horrific. No respect for those NOT riding in a petrol-powered 2-ton steel cocoon 4-wheeler for even trips lasting all of 100 feet. After coming back from a trip to Portland, Oregon.... Huntsville felt like a scary inhospitable moonscape engineered by antisocial murderous madmen.
- Lack of snow!
- Lack of mountains..... Monte Sano doesn't cut it.
- Huntsville's obsession with unsustainable defense spending, while simultaneously avoiding developing into the renewable energy sector. Seems like a waste of engineers if they just sit around designing new ways to blow stuff up instead of solving our greatest challenges and needs (affordable energy that supports modern civilization).
- Last but not least, not understanding why locals get so mad when you point out the flaws!

Old 11-04-2009, 11:13 PM

692 posts, read 1,502,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering_Missourian View Post
- Huntsville's obsession with unsustainable defense spending, while simultaneously avoiding developing into the renewable energy sector. Seems like a waste of engineers if they just sit around designing new ways to blow stuff up instead of solving our greatest challenges and needs (affordable energy that supports modern civilization).
Probably because most of the engineers realize that without a strong defense, our enemies will be sure there is no modern civilization, at least not here in the US anyway or maybe because that is where the jobs are....not to be too much like your last point, just sayin'

And yes, the Alabama vs Auburn thing is strange to us also, but doesn't effect our lives too much. My daughter points out all of the merchandise every store we go into, she can't get over it...and she is only 8. The funny thing to me is when people find out I am from Chicago and ask me "Sox or Cubs?" Ummmm, I support all of our local teams, I have been to games at both, I have supported both, and although there is a bit of rivalry in Chicago, nothing like here and people here don't seem to be able to comprehend that....my indifference seems to be just as perplexing to them

Old 11-04-2009, 11:50 PM

37 posts, read 128,598 times
Wow, Its a good.

Old 11-05-2009, 04:38 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Quote:
It seems like a person on 2 wheels gets killed about every other month, which is horrific.
Just driving around Huntsville, you can't help but notice the total lack of paved shoulders on roads. There simply isn't anywhere to cycle around here. Maybe that's true of the majority of middle sized US towns, not sure. "Back in CA" (here we go) it seemed many of the roads had several feet of paved shoulders. I was never terrified to go cycling in the suburbs.

However, it isn't too hard to drive out to the country, just five or ten miles out of town, and find low traffic roads (still with no shoulder) to cycle on. I cycle out west of Swancott sometimes, west of HSV airport. Just old cotton fields, flat and safe.

Old 11-05-2009, 04:40 AM

Quote:
- Lack of snow!
This is a good thing, not a bad thing.

Old 11-05-2009, 04:43 AM

Quote:
- Lack of mountains..... Monte Sano doesn't cut it.
Seems like that ridge of mountains including Monte Sano and to the south Huntsville Mountain, meet most of the needs of what a person wants for a "mountain" experience: mountain background view from different perspectives in the city, a place to hike or mountain bike with a grade, nice and and close, full of trees. What else to you want? Skiing?

Old 11-05-2009, 04:45 AM

Quote:
- Last but not least, not understanding why locals get so mad when you point out the flaws!
Ya, but that's what's going to happen when a whole bunch of people from different places converge on another place. Many of us came from bigger cities with more amenities. But, we moved here for a reason: low housing costs, jobs, no traffic, and easy living. It's a trade off. If we didn't like it we'd leave.

Old 11-05-2009, 05:46 AM

1,645 posts, read 4,586,118 times
All that low cost energy won't matter if we can't defend ourselves. And ask the European Union what they think about not having our shield? Wanting to get along means work and effort and demonstration of that idea from BOTH sides of the fence. Seems that as soon as our newly elected Pres started shaking hands with Chavez and apologizing to the Europeans for our sad history, that the ME extremists, N. Korea and Iran started flexing their muscles big time. I think even poor Russia tried for a bit just for old times sake.

We're all for peace. But not at the cost of OUR FREEDOM.

Old 11-05-2009, 06:25 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,838,071 times
Most of the list that you wandering_Missourian listed could have been stated for any other part of the country. If we had had your attitude when I lived in the upper midwest they would have told me where to go. Have you ever lived anywhere else? Have you ever heard about Packer nation? THAT IS OBSESSION!!! Anyway, FOR THE RECORD, I personally am willing to acknowledge that the area has needs and issues that need to be addressed but I am getting a little tired of the "let's kick Huntsville" and the south. I am not a native but I like it here and want to improve it. I find a lot of positives. No one likes to be put down and if you are so unhappy here, no one is making you live here. Find your happiness but don't just diss us constantly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area