Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 03:01 PM

426 posts, read 1,272,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
She's spending some "quality time" with me
I'm afraid you've really asked for it this time.

Sit back and relax, folks. This is gonna get interesting...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2009, 03:11 PM

1,351 posts, read 3,424,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsp4ever View Post

Not at all, If we next see Charles post a pic of Mrs. HB, I'd call it no-harm-done-in-all-fairness-sweet revenge.
We'll just wait for Charles to come home from where ever he is

Old 10-30-2009, 03:41 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,960,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsp4ever View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by friday13 View Post
Not at all, If we next see Charles post a pic of Mrs. HB, I'd call it no-harm-done-in-all-fairness-sweet revenge.
We'll just wait for Charles to come home from where ever he is
Men... you ladies are just love to stir the pot, don't ya?

Trouble makers...

Old 10-30-2009, 08:32 PM

93 posts, read 202,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
I live dangerously. I order extra spicy on my wings and I swallow jalepeno without ice water.
Aha, a macho man! <cue the Village People>

Old 10-30-2009, 11:42 PM

692 posts, read 1,502,963 times
I was talking about this at dinner and the kids added their 2¢, so I thought I would share...

The school lunches are "strange" to them, many they like, some I made from time to time to mix things up, but my daughter pointed out that she has never seen so many black eyed peas or greens on any menu before. It isn't that she doesn't like them, just that these are once/twice a year foods at my house.

Not that we mind it(it is actually neat), but we run into people we know everywhere we go. It seems so "small town," more than you would expect in a city this size...maybe I just don't go over the mountain enough

There are many differences that we like, these are just the things that we aren't used to and will likely never get used to.

Old 10-31-2009, 05:23 AM

1,645 posts, read 4,586,118 times
I haven't had my child buy lunch since we moved here -- mostly due to a convenience factor in that the lines are very long and they only have a short amount of time to eat. However, one friend stopped eating HS lunches and lost weight when she started bringing her own lunch into school. So I wouldn't vouch for the nutritional elements

Old 10-31-2009, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammie2 View Post
Not that we mind it(it is actually neat), but we run into people we know everywhere we go. It seems so "small town," more than you would expect in a city this size...maybe I just don't go over the mountain enough

I don't mind that we run into people we know--it is a nice thing to run into people we LIKE to see But this area tends to pretend to be "bigger" than it really is and that drives us up a wall. This is not a metro of significant size compared to places like Birmingham, Nashville and Knoxville.

And I do mind that there are people who know your business, talk about your business and spread your business around here. I've learned more about the underbelly of this area from listening to local gossip than in DC.

But then it is a great way to spread the word when one wants to get somebody else to MIND THEIR BUSINESS and do the RIGHT THING.

Old 10-31-2009, 05:07 PM

I hear ya about people knowing everything you do, but I think that is everywhere to a point.

I *think* our shopping situation is a bit different than even Madison. Think about it, the only people who shop here, live here. Noone is going to drive over the mountain to publix, Lowes, or Walmart when they have the same selection on their side of the mountain.

It is nice and the kids get a kick out of it, it is just different...then again the only places the kids have lived is suburbs of Houston and Chicago, totally different worlds. I experienced it for a short time growing up, but that was a small farm town, pop 3000 max, with one grocery store that closed at 6 pm.

Old 10-31-2009, 06:55 PM

I drive over the mountain quite a bit to shop--oddly, I've run into people from this side of the mountain over yonder. Strange isn't it?

But the DC area is quite a bit different even from Chicago or Houston--way more transient--tons more people with dual incomes so less opportunity to know others. It took us over a year to make solid connections in DC.

Here? Not nearly that long...

Old 11-01-2009, 10:44 AM

Oh, and church. I thought I was prepared having lived in the south before, but not even close, this is a whole new level.

A non church going friend's son was told that he would burn in h*ll because his family didn't go to church. My kids have come home telling us which church we should attend because their friends go there.

I have had many invitations and when I politely decline, I am asked what church we attend, when I say we don't, you should see the looks we get.

I respect people's desires to attend church, why can't people respect our choice not to attend?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area