U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2009, 08:08 AM

501 posts, read 796,392 times

Advertisements

Forbes has named Huntsville, Alabama the #9 Smartest City in the world. Another great accolade thanks to the residents who make our community so special.

In Pictures: The World's Smartest Cities - No. 9: Huntsville, Ala. - Forbes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2009, 08:16 AM

5,849 posts, read 15,948,749 times
But can our engineers tie their shoelaces??

Old 12-04-2009, 11:16 AM

165 posts, read 438,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
But can our engineers tie their shoelaces??
Shoelaces? We invent shoes that don't need no stinkin' shoelaces!

Old 12-04-2009, 03:41 PM

4,925 posts, read 9,783,740 times
There are days that I seriously doubt this ranking...

...and I think the proper question is can they FIND their shoes and do they realize when they aren't on?

Old 12-04-2009, 04:14 PM

4,740 posts, read 8,806,182 times
The article places a high value on city planning - for that we can thank 'The General'...

Old 12-05-2009, 07:58 AM

2,064 posts, read 6,018,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
The article places a high value on city planning - for that we can thank 'The General'...
There was a plan when they developed University Dr and the Parkway???

Old 12-05-2009, 08:40 AM

17,889 posts, read 54,220,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padmaster View Post
Forbes has named Huntsville, Alabama the #9 Smartest City in the world. Another great accolade thanks to the residents who make our community so special.

In Pictures: The World's Smartest Cities - No. 9: Huntsville, Ala. - Forbes.com
Hee hee. Gotta love this type of ranking. So, uhh, if Forbes is in a position to make such a claim, wouldn't their offices (or at least the author) be in the smartest city??? Otherwise, how are they smart enough to make the determination?

I had to burst a similar bubble in the Vermont forum, where it got named the smartest state. A large part of the criteria was how much each resident was taxed for schools.

I'm not quite sure of the audience for an article like the one cited. I had just had my coffee and was snoring a few paragraphs into it. The author must write those geography books that get sent to high schools so that students will fall asleep rather than act out.

For those who missed the big mention:
Further inland, Huntsville, Ala., has long had a "smart" core to its economy--a legacy of its critical role in the NASA ballistic missile program. Today the area's traditional emphasis on aerospace has been joined by bold moves into such fields as biotechnology. Kiplinger recently ranked the area's economy No. 1 in the nation.
(Keeper, I'm critiquing the article, I claim fair use of the quote)

Old 12-05-2009, 08:51 AM

4,925 posts, read 8,781,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
NASA ballistic missile program.
NASA has ballistic missile program???

Old 12-05-2009, 12:15 PM

17,889 posts, read 54,220,831 times
Hey,they whammed that thing into the moon didn't they? Doesn't that count?

We could also question Huntsville being "inland" since ocean access is as close as the river.

It is getting frightening watching the demise of newspapers, magazines, and even tv media. I happened to tune into CNN the other night and was rewarded by hearing the talent reading off opinions about the news from emails and blogs. Gee, if I wanted opinions rather than news I wouldn't have clicked on a news channel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area