Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 07:18 AM

692 posts, read 1,502,488 times

Advertisements

In case you ever need it, the emergency response in Huntsville is AWESOME!!

I had the occasion to call 911 yesterday, the fire department was here in under 5 minutes and the ambulance followed 2-3 minutes later.

I know in many other cities the residents complain about the response time, when my grandmother needed an ambulance in a suburb of Chicago it was a 15-20 minute wait and we were in a good area for response time. I had heard of people waiting 30+ minutes in Houston.

I know this is something that most never think of, however, it is nice to know they are there if you need them!! Another reason to love Huntsville!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2010, 07:29 AM

2,126 posts, read 6,801,281 times
I was in an accident and the other person had OnStar...within 5 minutes, there was an ambulance, a fire truck and 3 police cars. No one was hurt, but it is comforting knowing that the response is that fast.

Old 01-10-2010, 08:34 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tammie2 View Post

I had the occasion to call 911 yesterday, the fire department was here in under 5 minutes and the ambulance followed 2-3 minutes later.
It's nice having a fire station in the neighborhood. Depending on where you live in Hampton Cove, the realistic response time is probably 3 to 8 minutes. That was one thing I looked at when I purchased our home. (Back in Colorado I did this too, we had a close fire station - but our streets didn't have fire hydrants - we were all on well water. I never like that situation.)

Old 01-10-2010, 09:03 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,952,246 times
Good to know. I hope everything was okay as a result.

Old 01-10-2010, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
It's nice having a fire station in the neighborhood. Depending on where you live in Hampton Cove, the realistic response time is probably 3 to 8 minutes. That was one thing I looked at when I purchased our home. (Back in Colorado I did this too, we had a close fire station - but our streets didn't have fire hydrants - we were all on well water. I never like that situation.)
We are in Deford Mill, so we are close, the kids are walking distance to school or the fire station.

Yes it is nice to have them close, but the ambulance response time(which isn't as close) was pretty impressive also.

Old 01-10-2010, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Good to know. I hope everything was okay as a result.
Everything is back to normal!! Thanks for asking!

My son had a seizure episode and didn't want to come out of it, 30 minutes later he quit having seizures and 2-1/2 hour after it started he was out of his catatonic state and immediately was his normal joking, talkative, busy self again....and upset he didn't remember the firemen or ambulance ride-LOL No clue what had happened, doctors were perplexed as well.

First time in his 6-1/2 yrs I ever had a reason to call 911 and we were impressed with the results.

Old 01-10-2010, 11:43 AM

4,739 posts, read 10,434,489 times
The Police Department, Fire Department, and HEMSI are done right; we've got good people in place who work hard to ensure that public safety is a priority.

I complain about HPD sometimes (too much crime, too few officers), but Chief Reyes and Deputy Mayor Rex Reynolds do a fine job.

Old 01-10-2010, 01:02 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,836,922 times
I can attest to the police being better than I expected from an experience I had last year with an obscene caller . The calls led to threats and just a scary situation. The police didn't make me feel stupid for being scared and drove around my house a little more for a while. I know they had more serious situations to handle. But they followed up and made me feel better.

Old 01-10-2010, 02:49 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,952,246 times
I've been told that, to leave your front door open as soon as you call 911, because in 3 minutes HPD will be kicking down the door if it's closed.

Glad all is well with your son, tammie. Maybe you can negotiate a joy ride for him with the local fire department.

Old 01-10-2010, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
I've been told that, to leave your front door open as soon as you call 911, because in 3 minutes HPD will be kicking down the door if it's closed.
LOL, that was the first thing the 911 operator said, be sure the front door is unlocked, I have dispatched the fire dept and ambulance.

I told Quin we could bake some banana bread(his favorite) as soon as he was feeling a little better and deliver it to the fireman to thank them...and then he can meet them besides

Chris rode in the ambulance with Quin, I was afraid I would be trying to give them instructions and corrections if I felt they were doing things wrong After they all walked out the door, one of the firemen asked if I was OK to drive and if I needed anything else or any help with my daughter. I thought that was SO sweet!! No help needed, but the offer was definitely genuine and much appreciated.

The people in this area are the best!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area