U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 11:17 AM

31 posts, read 28,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
They have them at our WalMart and at a grocery store although I don't live in H'ville proper. If I buy a paper for coupons I always check to be sure they are there as it has happened to me too. I have seen ppl take 2 papers and only buy one, although not here in FL. I use a coupon website now that is free to get coupons since it is cheaper than buying a paper.
Which site do you use? I moved here from the Atlanta area and have mostly quit couponing due to the lack of coupons in the local paper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2019, 12:27 PM

56 posts, read 17,130 times
With respect to TWSS88's comment from someone who delivers for the Times:
"...They also believe the Times "charges taxes". The city of Huntsville or state of Alabama passed the law to exempt taxes. A business can't just charge a tax if they choose...." by current Huntsville Times bill for the Wed/Fri/Sun papers is broken down as such:

Payment Period: 52 Weeks
Pay Through: 01/10/20
Rat: $218.40
Other Fees*" $6.00 *$2.00 paper bill convenience & $4,00 Thanksgiving day edition
Sales Tax: $20.20
Total Due $244.60

Hence my question if anybody else has or is currently using an alternative subscription site to start or renew your Huntsville Time's subscription like: https://www.discountednewspapers.com...mes/index.html

I agree that the Huntsville Times is not what it once was and that is a great disappointment. However, I still enjoy an early Sunday morning read of the paper.

Old 01-06-2019, 09:02 PM

1,919 posts, read 3,350,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick In Madison View Post
"...They also believe the Times "charges taxes". The city of Huntsville or state of Alabama passed the law to exempt taxes. A business can't just charge a tax if they choose...." by current Huntsville Times bill for the Wed/Fri/Sun papers is broken down as such:

Other Fees*" $6.00 *$2.00 paper bill convenience & $4,00 Thanksgiving day edition
Total Due $244.60

Hence my question if anybody else has or is currently using an alternative subscription site to start or renew your Huntsville Time's subscription like: https://www.discountednewspapers.com...mes/index.html

I agree that the Huntsville Times is not what it once was and that is a great disappointment. However, I still enjoy an early Sunday morning read of the paper.
I have no direct experience, but I would assume it is something like buying your magazine subscription from one of the hundreds of discount sites. I don't think anyone actually pays the advertised yearly magazine subscription price of $48 or whatever for Golf Digest when they can get 1 year from www.whateverdiscountmagsiteyouchoose.com for $8/year.

Give it a try and use a good CC to pay. Best case you save a lot of money, worst case you have to get your CC company involved for a chargeback.

Old 01-07-2019, 08:27 AM

35 posts, read 31,259 times
I received a notice a couple weeks ago that I would soon receive free Sunday paper delivery, with a number to call if I wanted to opt-out.

Got my first one yesterday and it at least seems to be a full size Sunday paper, not the "Huntsville Life" advertisement paper that normally gets thrown in the yard on weekdays. I haven't done an analysis yet to see if it is also 92% ads.

Old 01-07-2019, 08:46 AM

136 posts, read 76,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satertek View Post
I received a notice a couple weeks ago that I would soon receive free Sunday paper delivery, with a number to call if I wanted to opt-out.

Got my first one yesterday and it at least seems to be a full size Sunday paper, not the "Huntsville Life" advertisement paper that normally gets thrown in the yard on weekdays. I haven't done an analysis yet to see if it is also 92% ads.

Same here, I've been getting Sunday's paper for free since I believe October. I think it's supposed to last 6 months. I enjoyed getting it for the first couple of months...but lately I've been tossing them into recycling I think the nostalgia wore off. Regardless, I wouldn't have subscribed to it after the trial anyway.

Old 01-07-2019, 09:04 AM

357 posts, read 253,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satertek View Post

I also received free Sunday papers for some period last year. I actually buy the Sunday paper most weekends as I like reading a Sunday paper, even though it is much diminished from years ago.

A couple of years back, I got tired of having to throw the Huntsville Life flyers away. It took three calls to the Times, but I finally got it stopped. Calling the Times is a pain, as you are not allowed to hold for very long. After the brief hold period, you have to enter a call back number. And if you don't promptly pick up the call back, then you have to start again.

So when I say three calls, I mean three occasions where I spoke to a live person. It took about double that in actual calls to the Times.

Old 01-07-2019, 08:13 PM

1,113 posts, read 1,590,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick In Madison View Post

Total Due $244.60

Why are they charging $4.00 for the Thanksgiving edition? It's not that much at the gas station. That's nuts.

Old 01-07-2019, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maya Blue View Post
Why are they charging $4.00 for the Thanksgiving edition? It's not that much at the gas station. That's nuts.

Agreed, its mostly just ads for black Friday sales which I would think is a cash cow for newspapers.

Old 01-14-2019, 06:50 PM

83 posts, read 49,538 times
Last year I was getting the paper gratis so they could claim me as a subscribers for their advertisers. As of the new year, I no longer have to pick it up out of my driveway and put it int he recycle bin.

Old 01-23-2019, 08:55 PM

Ended up calling al.com and was actually able to speak to somebody after maneuvering through the automated phone tree. First/best quote to keep the 3 deliveries/week was $168.78 for the year. Still more than my previous $141/year. Asked about best and final offer for Sunday delivery only (which was really the only version of the paper I have time to read and "enjoy" reading. That offer came in at $82.94/year. I accepted that offer and felt it to be fair. Thought I would follow up in the event somebody else comes across this thread.

Thank you all for your inputs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area