Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 08:20 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,905,528 times

Advertisements

RSA has "noise" all the time at different parts of Arsenal. For example, the FBI bomb disposal school is located near SE side of RSA and my friends who live in SE Huntsville hear the "noise" all the time. Most of time the noise is simply some low boom like the subwoofer from your home threater system, sometime it can be as loud as a sonic boom. But overall, it's far better than having a harley bike drive by your street. For one thing, harley noise last longer.

But just like you, we all choose where we live for different reasons. I too considered Hampton Cove when I was house hunting but decided to cross it off my list for various reasons. For me it was too isolated (one big bed room community like Thousand Oaks, CA where Charles and I used to live) with no real shopping until you get to the Carl T. Jones, except for the Publix, Lowes & Walmart on that corner of 431 (that's not shopping, that's just basic life-support). But most importantly I didn't like to drive across that mountain everyday twice a day, especially when rain or worse, ice, yet some of you do not mind at all. Then after you come home and want to take wife out to dinner, you'll have to drive over the mountain again. It's a personal preference, many of you who live in HC are okay with it. I also did not choose neighborhoods north of 72 because I see the traffic backs up during the commuting hours,, but many people do and they don't mind the traffic. Here in Madison, I get to come home for lunch if I choose to. Commuting is a higher priority for me because I don't go shopping everyday but I do commute daily. Oh and yes, we do have more choices in shopping & restaurants in Madison .

But it's a trade-off, by choosing to live in a subdivision in the city of Madison, I don't get to have a 5+ acre land by the river, or a stocked pond, or by a lake with world-class bass fishing. I have to abide by the city ordinances, HOA rules, and live with the fact that they may re-zone and put a gas station in my neighborhood one day.

So I would encourage OP to look at different neighborhoods around Huntsville because it is not a one-size-fits-all. That's a good thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 04:33 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,589,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
I too considered Hampton Cove when I was house hunting but decided to cross it off my list for various reasons. For me it was too isolated (one big bed room community like Thousand Oaks, CA where Charles and I used to live) with no real shopping until you get to the Carl T. Jones, except for the Publix, Lowes & Walmart on that corner of 431 (that's not shopping, that's just basic life-support).
Shopping within two miles of Hampton Cove, not over the hill, pretty much at 431 and Sutton or within a mile or two:

Jumping jacks preschool
El Olmeca Mexican Restaurant
Clare Bridge of Hampton Cove (Nursing Home, Alzheimer’s Care)
Hampton Cove Equestrian Center
Coldwell Banker
Sonics
Art Supplies
Full-screen
Jennifer & Co Photography
Full-screen
Publishing Designs Inc
Big Cove Christian Academy
Cars To Enjoy (Storage)
Lee Tucker Dentistry
Alpha Life Insurance
First Jackson Bank
Redstone Federal Credit Union
Art Supplies
Sante Fe Restaurant
Around Your Table (take home cooked food)
H&R Block
Cuts for Us
Play and Trade Video Games
Los Mayas Mexican Restaurant
Curves (fitness)
Anytime Fitness
Remax
Three nail salons
Two drycleaners
Wal-Mart
Three gas stations
Sonics
Hardees
Arbys
Superior Bank
Lowes
Pizza Hut
Hampton Cove Auto Repair
UPS Store
Cafe Domain Coffee House
Susan's Dance
Great Cuts
Matteras King
Movie Rentals
Hayes Nature Preserve
Hampton Cove Academy preschool
Anytime Fitness
Cotton States Insurance
Hampton Cove Golf Course
Hampton Inn Hotel
Music Studio (music lessons)
Subway
China Cook
KFC
Big Cove BBQ
Big Cove Decorator
Benjamin Moore Decorating
Standard Paints
Dollar Store
Liquor Store
Dentistry
Eye Care
Benjamin Moore Decorating Shutters and Blinds, Wall Covering Tile
Clinic
Car Stereo Installation and Repair
McDonalds
Cazzadore's Mexican Restaurant
Lamb Veternarian
Medical Arts Pharmacy
State Farm Insurance
Field Chiropractic
Salon Hampton
Le Chic Boutique
Edward Jones Investmensts
Simmons Real Estate
Carriage Cleaners
Artisans Cove Art Gallery
Short Stop T-Shirts and Trophies
Twickenham Funeral Homes Memory Gardens & Crematory
The Greenery
Classic Landscapes
Interior Marketplace
Cafe Michael
Hampton Window Fashions
Universal Stoneworks
Portobello decor
Knothole (Custom Furniture & Cabinets)
Hampton Window Fashions
Café Michael’s Kitchen Shop
Huffman’s - Belly Blossom Maternity Clothing
Sheila's Devine Designs & The Resplendent Beauty
The Little Purse Shop
Itty Bitty (Children's clothing)
Victoria's Candle and Lace
Pottery Plus
Portobello
Art Studio
Huffman’s Baby to Teens Furniture
Pimentos
Mayflower Fine Art
Hampton Court (Elegant home furnishings)
Foster Furniture & Thomas Foster Designs
CoCo's (gifts)
Vaggio World Gallery - A Fair Trade Shop
Touching Borders (drawings, stemware, crytsal)
The Rogue (Décor and gifts)
Pinhook Publishing, Historical Books
Pursenality Plus (Super cute bags and accessories)
Olive & Oak (Note cards by local artist Rebecca Banks)
Henry Door Supply (collectiable prints)
God Rocks
Demdaco “Willow Tree” Collectible Gallery
Book Addiction
Bella's (Archipelago bath and body product)
Art and Architecture by Hilary Russell
Drapery World Designs
City Lumber
Woodcraft Specialties
Cove Family Sports Medicine
Linderman Animal Hospital
Hampton Cove Chiropractic
Roller Coasters Skating Rink
The Villa Italian Restaurant (opening soon)
Alexander's Martial Arts
Fauld's Chiropractic
Subway
Cazadore's Mexican Restaurant
Big Cove Decorating
Sonics
Mountain View Family Dentistry
Manderin Buffet

Old 01-26-2010, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Shopping within two miles of Hampton Cove, not over the hill, pretty much at 431 and Sutton or within a mile or two:

Jumping jacks preschool
El Olmeca Mexican Restaurant
Clare Bridge of Hampton Cove (Nursing Home, Alzheimer’s Care)
Hampton Cove Equestrian Center
Coldwell Banker
Sonics
Art Supplies
Full-screen
Jennifer & Co Photography
Full-screen
Publishing Designs Inc
Big Cove Christian Academy
Cars To Enjoy (Storage)
Lee Tucker Dentistry
Alpha Life Insurance
First Jackson Bank
Redstone Federal Credit Union
Art Supplies
Sante Fe Restaurant
Around Your Table (take home cooked food)
H&R Block
Cuts for Us
Play and Trade Video Games
Los Mayas Mexican Restaurant
Curves (fitness)
Anytime Fitness
Remax
Three nail salons
Two drycleaners
Wal-Mart
Three gas stations
Sonics
Hardees
Arbys
Superior Bank
Lowes
Pizza Hut
Hampton Cove Auto Repair
UPS Store
Cafe Domain Coffee House
Susan's Dance
Great Cuts
Matteras King
Movie Rentals
Hayes Nature Preserve
Hampton Cove Academy preschool
Anytime Fitness
Cotton States Insurance
Hampton Cove Golf Course
Hampton Inn Hotel
Music Studio (music lessons)
Subway
China Cook
KFC
Big Cove BBQ
Big Cove Decorator
Benjamin Moore Decorating
Standard Paints
Dollar Store
Liquor Store
Dentistry
Eye Care
Benjamin Moore Decorating Shutters and Blinds, Wall Covering Tile
Clinic
Car Stereo Installation and Repair
McDonalds
Cazzadore's Mexican Restaurant
Lamb Veternarian
Medical Arts Pharmacy
State Farm Insurance
Field Chiropractic
Salon Hampton
Le Chic Boutique
Edward Jones Investmensts
Simmons Real Estate
Carriage Cleaners
Artisans Cove Art Gallery
Short Stop T-Shirts and Trophies
Twickenham Funeral Homes Memory Gardens & Crematory
The Greenery
Classic Landscapes
Interior Marketplace
Cafe Michael
Hampton Window Fashions
Universal Stoneworks
Portobello decor
Knothole (Custom Furniture & Cabinets)
Hampton Window Fashions
Café Michael’s Kitchen Shop
Huffman’s - Belly Blossom Maternity Clothing
The Little Purse Shop
Itty Bitty (Children's clothing)
Victoria's Candle and Lace
Pottery Plus
Portobello
Art Studio
Huffman’s Baby to Teens Furniture
Pimentos
Mayflower Fine Art
Hampton Court (Elegant home furnishings)
Foster Furniture & Thomas Foster Designs
CoCo's (gifts)
Vaggio World Gallery - A Fair Trade Shop
Touching Borders (drawings, stemware, crytsal)
The Rogue (Décor and gifts)
Pinhook Publishing, Historical Books
Pursenality Plus (Super cute bags and accessories)
Olive & Oak (Note cards by local artist Rebecca Banks)
Henry Door Supply (collectiable prints)
God Rocks
Demdaco “Willow Tree” Collectible Gallery
Book Addiction
Bella's (Archipelago bath and body product)
Art and Architecture by Hilary Russell
Drapery World Designs
City Lumber
Woodcraft Specialties
Cove Family Sports Medicine
Linderman Animal Hospital
Hampton Cove Chiropractic
Roller Coasters Skating Rink
The Villa Italian Restaurant (opening soon)
Alexander's Martial Arts
Fauld's Chiropractic
Subway
Cazadore's Mexican Restaurant
Big Cove Decorating
Sonics
Mountain View Family Dentistry
Manderin Buffet
Please supply referenced links.

Old 01-26-2010, 05:45 PM

692 posts, read 1,498,987 times
Quote:
For me it was too isolated (one big bed room community like Thousand Oaks, CA where Charles and I used to live) with no real shopping until you get to the Carl T. Jones, except for the Publix, Lowes & Walmart on that corner of 431 (that's not shopping, that's just basic life-support). But most importantly I didn't like to drive across that mountain everyday twice a day, especially when rain or worse, ice, yet some of you do not mind at all. Then after you come home and want to take wife out to dinner, you'll have to drive over the mountain again. It's a personal preference, many of you who live in HC are okay with it. I also did not choose neighborhoods north of 72 because I see the traffic backs up during the commuting hours,, but many people do and they don't mind the traffic. Here in Madison, I get to come home for lunch if I choose to. Commuting is a higher priority for me because I don't go shopping everyday but I do commute daily. Oh and yes, we do have more choices in shopping & restaurants in Madison .

So I would encourage OP to look at different neighborhoods around Huntsville because it is not a one-size-fits-all. That's a good thing.
Maybe I am too much of an online shopper to notice any lack of shopping, I just ordered living room chairs online. Ordered my swatches, measured, ordered furniture, very simple. No salesmen, no need to drag the kids around, was a great experience. But I am sure some people wouldn't dare do this. So all I need is sustainment, I trek over to Jones Valley once a week and hit Target and PetSmart-some weeks I am adventurous and go twice in a week. Other than that I can fulfill all of my needs in my little corner

I agree with you regarding the traffic on 72(and so did Chris), I also think that areas north(Harvest, Hazel Green, Meridianville, etc.) will experience a similar issue in a few years.

I also agree with you that the OP needs to look at several areas, to figure out what works best for their needs.

For us it came down to Madison(non-Zeirdt Rd area) and Hampton Cove. We ultimately chose HC because it "felt better" to us(Chris grew up in Cheyenne,WY with a weekend home in Denver-so the "big hills" were welcoming), we also foresaw some infrastructure issues coming, and the whole re-zoning the elementary schools every 2 years deal bothered me....and now my daughter is homeschooled-go figure

Old 01-26-2010, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammie2 View Post
Maybe I am too much of an online shopper to notice any lack of shopping, I just ordered living room chairs online. Ordered my swatches, measured, ordered furniture, very simple. No salesmen, no need to drag the kids around, was a great experience. But I am sure some people wouldn't dare do this. So all I need is sustainment, I trek over to Jones Valley once a week and hit Target and PetSmart-some weeks I am adventurous and go twice in a week. Other than that I can fulfill all of my needs in my little corner

I agree with you regarding the traffic on 72(and so did Chris), I also think that areas north(Harvest, Hazel Green, Meridianville, etc.) will experience a similar issue in a few years.

I also agree with you that the OP needs to look at several areas, to figure out what works best for their needs.

For us it came down to Madison(non-Zeirdt Rd area) and Hampton Cove. We ultimately chose HC because it "felt better" to us(Chris grew up in Cheyenne,WY with a weekend home in Denver-so the "big hills" were welcoming), we also foresaw some infrastructure issues coming, and the whole re-zoning the elementary schools every 2 years deal bothered me....and now my daughter is homeschooled-go figure
Maybe our decisions were influenced by our past experiences. I remembered living in Thousand Oak and, unlike Charles, I was not married at the time and somehow I was always dating women in Valley/ LA or Orange County (I did manage to avoid dating women in Palmdale -- that would be the equivalent of dating women in Ardmore here ). Everytime I go out it was a minimum of 50~60 miles round-trip, and everyday I had to drive over that Calabasas hill to the valley to go to work, then come home to a bedroom community. So perhaps in my subconscious mind I was tired of driving over hills.

There's an advantage to be able to come home for lunch. My wife caught my cold over the weekend so I knew that I need to turn up my "sensitivity" a notch or two (it doesn't take much when mine is as low as it is). So today I brought some fruits home during lunch, she was very happy to see me (more likely happy to see the fruits). So I scored major points on the "good husband" front.

When we go shopping, we don't mind the drive. In fact, I find it relaxing. We visit shops & restaurants all over, and we frequent Airport roads and Jones Valley as well. But like you, that's an occassional event and usually on weekends when we are not busy fighting traffics.

Old 01-26-2010, 07:47 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,589,423 times
Quote:
I remembered living in Thousand Oak and, unlike Charles, I was not married at the time and somehow I was always dating women in Valley/ LA or Orange County
I understand this. I was living in Moorpark and I was single. Worse yet, I was working at Point Mugu Naval Air Station. Moorpark is bedroom, families, not singles too. I concluded it was easier to meet chicks in San Quentin State Penitentiary than it was meeting them at Point Mugu. So, I did the same thing, schlepped out the the Valley for dating.

Old 01-26-2010, 07:50 PM

956 posts, read 2,494,731 times
HB2HSV: What a great husband Now....be a great neighbor and post all of the places within 2 miles of our area to shop. ROTFL.

Old 01-26-2010, 07:52 PM

Charles and HB2HSV: Just think, your wives could have been on the Housewives of Orange County if you had stayed. (giggle). I'd say the odds of them doing a Housewives of Madison County are slim to none. Not enough plastic, lol.

Old 01-26-2010, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth_G View Post
HB2HSV: Now....be a great neighbor and post all of the places within 2 miles of our area to shop. ROTFL.
Keeper would've ban me for using up ALL the bandwidth on City-Data

Old 01-26-2010, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Keeper would've ban me for using up ALL the bandwidth on City-Data
You are right. I didn't think of that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area