Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 04:42 PM

1,134 posts, read 2,853,167 times

Advertisements

I love this state.

Taxes are too high! Real job creation comes from keeping money in taxpayer's wallets!

Oh wait, don't cut my gubmint/contractor job! Maybe Boehner's appeals to "tighten the belt" got the Prez's ear? (though I can't imagine why he'd want to listen to him)

Truly awesome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 05:29 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,856,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DvlsAdvc8 View Post
I love this state.

Taxes are too high! Real job creation comes from keeping money in taxpayer's wallets!

Oh wait, don't cut my gubmint/contractor job! Maybe Boehner's appeals to "tighten the belt" got the Prez's ear? (though I can't imagine why he'd want to listen to him)

Truly awesome.
Hey looky here, you sound like one of those left-wing liberal software engineers who works for the telephone company?

Changes are unsettling when it could potentially disturb your employment, affect your primary source of income, and disrupt your family way of life. It is only natural that people get nervous with a news like this.

Old 01-28-2010, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by friday13 View Post
Very- considering the existing 85-mile I4 is all they got now
Does this mean free tickets to Disney with the purchase of a train ticket? Or free train "shuttle" with a Disney ticket? Imagine the possibilities.
Can Hsv/Nashville have a light train hovering I65 to the Gulf? Now, that'd be "job creatin'"! By the way, gasoline is $2.55 creeping up steadily. We need that train, Mr.P!
I would be far more impressed if the high speed train is from Tampa, going under the gulf of Mexico, with a stop in Mobile, and proceed to New Orleans then onto Houston.

Then with your high speed train concept from Nashville to Mobile, we can go to Disneyworld just hop on the train in Huntsville !

Old 01-29-2010, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Hey looky here, you sound like one of those left-wing liberal software engineers who works for the telephone company?

Changes are unsettling when it could potentially disturb your employment, affect your primary source of income, and disrupt your family way of life. It is only natural that people get nervous with a news like this.
I agree, I don't mean to be dismissive of the genuine concern and apoligize if my comment was a little over the top. It is unsettling and if Huntsville went down in flames I'd lose a lot of home value as well. I am pretty liberal... but if true liberal policy were being pursued here, no one would be worried about their job. Most libs are pretty Keynesian - deficit spending to support jobs during a recession is better than no deficit and higher unemployment. The crux is that you have to run surpluses during the good times as well to make up for it - pretty tough to do when the average taxpayer says "gimme my money back".

I support Obama, and I don't want any such cuts, but this is a case of Obama being too quick to compromise with conservatives who think the Gov budget should be like a household budget - and everyone should be "tightening their belts".

So I just find the concern kind of ironic. Everyone is eager to cut, when its not they who are cut.

I sincerely hope no one loses their job and even as one who has supported Obama, I'm entirely against him on this notion of a spending freeze (idiocy during a recession - and make no mistake, despite recent paltry GDP growth, we're not out of the woods yet) and any cuts that cost jobs.

Old 01-29-2010, 10:11 AM

Hey Dvl, I hope you know I was kidding about you being a "left wing". It is not my intend to discuss politic in this thread. It is "American" to ridicule the POTUS, no matter what party he's in.

We shall know by next week when the White House announce its budget. But as I said in the other thread, even if the WH cuts the Constellation program it is only a PROPOSAL. This will be negotiated with the Congress back 'n forth for the next several months.

The 2011 budget will not take effect until Oct'10. Then NASA has to decide how to "execute" the new direction, issue RFPs, conduct source-selection, and provide technical insights into contractor's activities. All these activities require the engineering workforce to perform. So to what extend of this "change of direction" affects the local workforce is still unclear.

Old 01-29-2010, 10:52 AM

24,767 posts, read 28,359,250 times
From what I here in town Titusville,FL and work.. at Kennedy Space Center Monday 2/1/10 will be the day every one finds out what's what'... the grapevine says.. all Ares / Orion / Constellations projects will be shelved.. and all other advanced rocket systems will be halted..
The Russian will get paid to ferry are astronauts to the space station...
The prediction at Kennedy Space Center is 6500---7500 workers will start being phased out over the next year..(This year) this will effect about another 5000 suppliers ~ restaurants ~ hotels in the area. Anything that's tourist related......
Heaven forbid if we have a anomaly with any remaining flights... that's it !!!!!

Old 01-29-2010, 11:06 AM

69 posts, read 137,398 times
FOXNews.com - Obama to End NASA Constellation Program

Obama to End NASA Constellation Program

FOXNews.com

On the eve of the fullest moon of the year, NASA scientists were told they won't be able to visit any longer. In his new budget, President Obama plans to eliminate the space program's manned moon missions.

On the eve of the fullest moon of the year, NASA scientists were told they won't be able to visit any longer. In his new budget, President Obama plans to eliminate the space program's manned moon missions.
When the president releases his budget on Monday, a White House official confirmed on Thursday, there will be a big hole where funding for NASA's Constellation program used to be. Constellation is the umbrella program that includes the Ares rocket -- the replacement for the aging space shuttles.
NASA will receive an additional $5.9 billion over five years, some of which will be used to extend the life of the International Space Station to 2020. The official said it also will be used to entice companies to build private spacecraft to ferry astronauts to the space station after the space shuttle retires.

The story was first reported in the Orlando Sentinel, which detailed that the forthcoming budget will include no funding for lunar landers, no moon bases, and no Constellation program at all. Instead, NASA will outsource space flight to other governments (such as the Russians) and private companies.

NASA's Constellation program aimed to create a new generation of spacecraft for human spaceflight, consisting primarily of the Ares I and Ares V launch vehicles, the Orion crew capsule and the Altair Lunar Lander. These spacecraft would have been capable of performing a variety of missions, from International Space Station resupply to lunar landings.
But according to the Sentinel, White House insiders and agency officials say NASA will eventually look at developing a new "heavy-lift" rocket that one day will take humans and robots to explore beyond low Earth orbit years in the future -- and possibly even decades or more.
In the meantime, the White House will direct NASA to concentrate on Earth-science projects -- principally, researching and monitoring climate change -- and on a new technology research and development program that will one day make human exploration of asteroids and the solar system possible.

There will also be funding for private companies to develop capsules and rockets that can be used as space taxis, reports the Sentinel. These companies may take astronauts on fixed-price contracts to and from the International Space Station -- a major change in the way the agency has done business for the past 50 years.
NASA's budget, just over $18.7 billion this year, is still expected to rise again in 2011, reports Space.com, though by much less than the $1 billion increase NASA and its contractors have been privately anticipating since mid-December. A White House-appointed panel, led by former Lockheed Martin chief Norm Augustine, urged these changes on the administration in December.
The panel also said a worthwhile manned space exploration program would require Obama to budget about $55 billion for human spaceflight over the next five years, some $11 billion more than he included in the 2011-2015 forecast he sent Congress last spring.
A senior administration official told Fox News that rather than space programs, the president plans to use the address to renew his focus on jobs, calling for swift action on lagging bills providing tax cuts for job creation, new equipment purchases and the elimination of capital gains for small businesses.

Old 01-29-2010, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Hey Dvl, I hope you know I was kidding about you being a "left wing". It is not my intend to discuss politic in this thread. It is "American" to ridicule the POTUS, no matter what party he's in.

We shall know by next week when the White House announce its budget. But as I said in the other thread, even if the WH cuts the Constellation program it is only a PROPOSAL. This will be negotiated with the Congress back 'n forth for the next several months.

The 2011 budget will not take effect until Oct'10. Then NASA has to decide how to "execute" the new direction, issue RFPs, conduct source-selection, and provide technical insights into contractor's activities. All these activities require the engineering workforce to perform. So to what extend of this "change of direction" affects the local workforce is still unclear.
No no... I'm not sensitive to that sort of stuff anyway, besides, left wing is much better than "baby killer" and "nazi" (which I don't understand, all this time I thought it was "commie").

You're right on about the process. That's something I find hilarious about politics. Everything has the political urgency of now, but the process moves at a snail's pace.

I'm forced to imagine a group of people red-in-the-face screaming at a snail race with a finishline that might change before the snail even gets close.

Old 01-30-2010, 03:56 PM

165 posts, read 504,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DvlsAdvc8 View Post

So I just find the concern kind of ironic. Everyone is eager to cut, when its not they who are cut.
Well, also, it's a case of penny wise and pound foolish. Cutting Constellation will reduce the total federal debt by about 0.02%. On the other hand, it will lower America's reputation in the world by a lot more than that. And eventually China and Russia will have the ability to deny us access to space. So when they put up their orbiting kinetic-energy weapons, then what do we do?

And look, a lot of us could be making a heck of a lot more money working in things like video games or cell phones or Government Motors. And it would be a heck of a lot less frustrating than aerospace is. I'm not worried (much) about making money. I can make money. The question is whether or not I want to do it in a nation whose leadership has committed itself to a path of irreversible decline. Between this and the massive R&D cuts that the DoD is inevitably going to face between now and 2012, I could see a lot of aerospace guys looking for opportunities in China.

I've created a Facebook group: Ceding Space Leadership to China and Russia is Not Acceptable. I invite anyone who is concerned about the issue to join. I am far from being an expert at activism, but maybe we can get something going.

Old 01-30-2010, 07:50 PM

379 posts, read 844,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman313 View Post
From what I here in town Titusville,FL and work.. at Kennedy Space Center Monday 2/1/10 will be the day every one finds out what's what'... the grapevine says.. all Ares / Orion / Constellations projects will be shelved.. and all other advanced rocket systems will be halted..
The Russian will get paid to ferry are astronauts to the space station...
The prediction at Kennedy Space Center is 6500---7500 workers will start being phased out over the next year..(This year) this will effect about another 5000 suppliers ~ restaurants ~ hotels in the area. Anything that's tourist related......
Heaven forbid if we have a anomaly with any remaining flights... that's it !!!!!
OMG!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area