Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 12:38 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,958,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKMom View Post
We are in Fairbanks. Lots of fishing around here!

It really is an amazing place and we are very sad to leave.
So the real reason you're moving in the summer is because you're all snowed in right now?

On my last job they asked "hey want to go up to Ft. Greeley?". I said "No Thanks!"

A few places for my fishing destination include Homer and Sitka.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2010, 01:23 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,420,189 times
We have friends who are Minnesota natives and lived there until 3M sent them to Decatur. They brought their heavy coats, snow boots etc. and of course quickly found they are useless here. They only used them on Christmas visits home.

After 5 or 6 years here, the kids grew up...one day she announced that there would be no more Christmas visits home...they didn't have the clothes for a winter visit to MN!

Old 02-22-2010, 02:45 PM

18 posts, read 45,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
So the real reason you're moving in the summer is because you're all snowed in right now?

On my last job they asked "hey want to go up to Ft. Greeley?". I said "No Thanks!"

A few places for my fishing destination include Homer and Sitka.

Ft. Greely is in a BEAUTIFUL area! But the winters are pretty harsh and not alot of ammenitites around there.

My husband has been halibut fishing in Homer.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:17 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,187,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
You can leave the snow chains and snow tires in Alaska.
...and the snow boots, snow suits, snow shovels, snow blower, engine heaters, down parkas, mittens, long johns, (well, you might want to keep one pair), snowmobiles, sleds, saucers, toboggans (the sled-type, not the woolen watch caps many down here call toboggans)...

...it really is cheaper living here! But you will find that 30 degrees here feels so much colder than 30 degrees there.

AKmom, in a previous life, I used to spend a lot of time in the Fairbanks area. Personally, I liked it, but I think you'll like it here as well. It's just really different from there. The two things that really hit us moving here and friends from that part of the country is how crowded it is (the whole area) and how lush and dense and green everything is...I've heard more than once the term "claustrophobic" used to describe how thick it is.

It's pretty here as well, just a different kind...

Old 02-23-2010, 10:09 AM

1,806 posts, read 5,705,717 times
Uhm, I disagree. I brought my toboggan (and sled) and got to ride each of them once or twice a few months ago.
It ain't much, but it's more than I had in Florida.

Now if we get a real snowfall one of these days, I can make use my yard instead of the iced-over roadway.

Old 02-23-2010, 10:16 AM

1,806 posts, read 5,705,717 times
(Hoping you found the humor in my post, BTW.)

Old 02-24-2010, 08:08 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,187,777 times
I thought it was funny.
How'd those sled runners work on the asphalt? About as well as in the dirt?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area