Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 12:10 AM

102 posts, read 161,080 times

Advertisements

I'm sorry, but I need to say something. I'm a student at UAHuntsville and knew 2 of the 3 professors that died and I also know Dr. Leahy who is in critical condition. This crime was not targeted. It was premeditated, yes. But she did not go in choosing who it was that she was going to kill. She simply opened fire on a room full of professors and staff members.

I'm appalled by some of the things that I have read. I had Dr. Bishop as a professor this semester. She is a brilliant woman and she was quiet, but she always talked to the students. This had nothing to do with what she and her husband invented because they already have taken the credit for that and it was also awarded to them.

I know that I am afraid to go back to class and I have friends that are terrified as well. Please stop the speculation unless you know for sure what transpired.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2010, 04:18 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,952,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz06 View Post
I'm sorry, but I need to say something. I'm a student at UAHuntsville and knew 2 of the 3 professors that died and I also know Dr. Leahy who is in critical condition. This crime was not targeted. It was premeditated, yes. But she did not go in choosing who it was that she was going to kill. She simply opened fire on a room full of professors and staff members.

I'm appalled by some of the things that I have read. I had Dr. Bishop as a professor this semester. She is a brilliant woman and she was quiet, but she always talked to the students. This had nothing to do with what she and her husband invented because they already have taken the credit for that and it was also awarded to them.

I know that I am afraid to go back to class and I have friends that are terrified as well. Please stop the speculation unless you know for sure what transpired.

Thank you
Thank you for posting. Things often look quite different when we know the people involved.

Old 02-13-2010, 07:14 AM

625 posts, read 1,148,713 times
I also had a strange professor from Harvard. Wish people in education would get the drift like the private world has about these types.

Old 02-13-2010, 07:31 AM

889 posts, read 2,397,628 times
Quote:
This crime was not targeted. It was premeditated, yes. But she did not go in choosing who it was that she was going to kill. She simply opened fire on a room full of professors and staff members.
To me, that makes the whole thing even more appalling.

Quote:
I can't imagine how tough this must be for you to deal with. My senior year of high school, my photography/art teacher committed suicide. We showed up for 1st period and simply had no teacher for the day, only to see on the news that night why she wasn't there. None of us ever bothered to let the office know we had no teacher so no sub or staff even showed up. We just hung out for a full hour being goofballs thinking it was funny our teacher was so late. I remember her the day before berating us for our lack of effort in class. She was completely pissed at us and we were quite shocked. And returning in the days that followed to see her notes still scrawled all over the chalkboard was unsettling. It really made me wonder if by being a bunch of punks in her class if we drove her over the edge and I felt awful about that for some time. But in reality I know it had to be much deeper than that. Although I don't think that story compares with what happened at UAH yesterday.

Anyway, clearly people are speculating on these boards and in the media about Dr. Bishop just as we did in the case of my art teacher. One thing seems for sure though is that Dr. Bishop is an extremely intelligent and driven woman. Sometimes those who are blessed with that type of brilliance often deal with other demons for whatever reason. The story of Professor John Forbes Nash, Jr also comes to mind (from the movie 'A Beautiful Mind').

Quote:

Thank you
My thoughts are with the entire UAH community.

Old 02-13-2010, 10:24 AM

7,633 posts, read 8,699,793 times
She is a mother of four Did she think about what would happen to her children?

Old 02-13-2010, 10:48 AM

2,667 posts, read 6,777,279 times
Why is it always the attractive and mentally stable looking people that open fire?

Old 02-13-2010, 12:31 PM

1,351 posts, read 3,423,536 times
Report: Ala. professor killed brother in 1986 - Crime & courts- msnbc.com

Old 02-13-2010, 02:51 PM

3 posts, read 5,367 times
Default She shot her Brother?

Uh-Oh.

Old 02-13-2010, 03:01 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,185,071 times
One news report I read had what I thought was quite an understatement..."This raises some troubling questions."

Saw film footage of her being taken to the jail from the South Precinct...she said "It didn't happen. They're still alive."

Old 02-13-2010, 03:19 PM

976 posts, read 2,682,097 times
Wacko!
I feel bad about this situation but I said Huntsville is not immune
and most people here feel like it is.This city is going backwards. There is know real community here too many people in the military and from abroad for such a small city. Too sheltered, too many stuck up people, I see it. Live and learn.

Last edited by mimpdaddy; 02-13-2010 at 03:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area