Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 07:03 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,962,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
How famous are and well do computer scientists perform in Huntsville? Are there a lot of job offerings in Huntsville? I'm thinking about a minor.
Quote:
But are there a plethora of computer science jobs in Huntsville that pay good money? That's what I meant! Sorry!
Quote:
When I said famous, I didn't mean FAMOUS! I meant are there a lot of jobs in Huntsville! JUST HUNTSVILLE!
LOL... well, just how many of these "plethora" of jobs do you need?

How FAMOUS do you want to be?

What is the starting salary are you looking for? What do you mean by "good money"?

How much $$$$ do you want to make 5 years later? 10 years later?

What are you willing to give up in return for the "good money"? <the Devil is waiting to make a deal >
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2010, 08:00 AM

2,126 posts, read 6,803,734 times
Quote:
But are there a plethora of computer science jobs in Huntsville that pay good money? That's what I meant! Sorry!
Again, you aren't going to be hired as a computer scientist because you have a minor in computer science. MAJOR in computer science if you want to be a computer scientist. Exceptions that I can think of are engineering or math majors. In those cases, for example, if you had a bachelor's in math or electrical engineering, with a computer science minor, you very well could be hired as a computer scientist.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:02 AM

1,351 posts, read 3,425,008 times
Quote:
When I said famous, I didn't mean FAMOUS! I meant are there a lot of jobs in Huntsville! JUST HUNTSVILLE!
Sweetie, it's called PRESTIGE !

Old 02-16-2010, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
They are extremely famous.
Name 3.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimpdaddy View Post
Whats your major? is it related to computer science.
Urban planning and development.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:11 AM

1,268 posts, read 2,057,094 times
Here, I'll cut through the manure:

Yes, a computer scientist does really well in this town. You can't go wrong with a CS or a CIS degree. Minor in business or math and you'll be set.

Oh, I almost forgot, you will be famous beyond your wildest dreams.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:24 AM

173 posts, read 331,884 times
Quote:
The 1st two links are to JUST HUNTSVILLE data, the 3rd one is Alabama and it may include breakdowns to specific areas of the state.

Talk to your University career planning/advising dept., and/or

North Alabama Center for Educational Excellence http://www.nacee.net

Alabama Career Center https://joblink.alabama.gov/ada/works/WorkforceCenter.cfm?ofiid=85560000

The info you want (need) is available, with actual #'s, rather than individual interpretations of what is a lot or a plethora. Dig deep enough in the Occupational Outlook Handbook from the BLS and you will also find the min. education /experience typically required in any given field, some may include recommended minors.

If Friday13 is correct that your major is Urban Planning & Development, and if that is the career field you actually intend to pursue, I think you'd want to consider at least a focussed specialty like CAD, or minor in Civil Engineering, Envrionmental Studies, Public Affairs, even Business Mgmt. Something that compliments your major, rather than dilutes your obective.

Last edited by julilg; 02-16-2010 at 09:47 AM.. Reason: name correction

Old 02-16-2010, 09:27 AM

173 posts, read 331,884 times
PS: there isn't a plethora of jobs for Urban Planning & Development in just Huntsville.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:28 AM

113 posts, read 245,289 times
Obama just cut 4700 jobs at NASA which is big in Huntsville. But by the time you graduate, maybe a turn around.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:40 AM

2,453 posts, read 3,216,043 times
Quote:
El Guapo: Would you say I have a plethora of computer science jobs?
Jefe: A what?
El Guapo: A *plethora*.
Jefe: Oh yes, you have a plethora.
El Guapo: Jefe, what is a plethora?
Jefe: Why, El Guapo?
El Guapo: Well, you told me I have a plethora. And I just would like to know if you know what a plethora is. I would not like to think that a person would tell someone he has a plethora, and then find out that that person has *no idea* what it means to have a plethora.
Jefe: Forgive me, El Guapo. I know that I, Jefe, do not have your superior intellect and education. But could it be that once again, you are angry at something else, and are looking to take it out on me?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area