U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 03:24 PM

3,475 posts, read 4,984,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleC View Post
Most IKEA products are made in Italy and Poland, with less than 1/3 made in Asia. And they are made to EU air quality and manufacturing standards which are far stricter than those in the US -- no formadehyde and everything is low- or no-VOC.

Not everything Crate & Barrel is made in the US; they source furniture world-wide.
Hey NicoleC! Welcome back !!!

We miss our Hartselle representative
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2010, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maledictorian View Post
Huntsville needs an Ikea store.

I'm totally lost without decent furniture and I really don't feel like driving to Atlanta for a coffee table.
We go to the Salvation Army store.

Old 02-26-2010, 03:28 PM

26,362 posts, read 55,166,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
We go to the Salvation Army store.
That's not a bad place. It's where I buy my underwear and toothbrushes. I also get investment advice from some of the employees.

Old 02-26-2010, 04:02 PM

652 posts, read 917,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleC View Post
Most IKEA products are made in Italy and Poland, with less than 1/3 made in Asia. And they are made to EU air quality and manufacturing standards which are far stricter than those in the US -- no formadehyde and everything is low- or no-VOC.

Not everything Crate & Barrel is made in the US; they source furniture world-wide.
This is a list of Chinese funiture suppliers, many list "we are the exclusive mfg for Ikea (matress, couch, etc)"

ikea furniture suppliers

If you google "Ikea made in China," you will see that a number of people are noticing more and more Made in China stickers, some even on components of items that aren't sold as made in china products.

I bought the kids bed frames at IKEA-back when they were made outside of China(that way when the kids destroyed them I wouldn't feel bad ), Hurricane Ike made them fall apart, it was an experience like no other, I really don't buy the no chemicals aspect after that...but my experience was unique and likely not one to be experienced by others. I bought into the whole "better standards" also, then I found out that there might not be as much truth in that as I originally thought. One of them had something bubble and ooze out of it that caused the bamboo floor under it to actually disintegrate.

I am also aware that all companies use international suppliers, and I avoid those items, we buy US only these days. I also never felt a necessity to purchase eco friendly products, until I saw some of the after effects of the hurricane-the fumes were awful-from things I would have never guessed, they actually made me physically ill.

I really wasn't advocating for C&B, rather for online furniture shopping. C&B just happened to be who I bought from and it also happens to be a company where the closest location is Atlanta-just like Ikea.

As for where you buy your furniture or what you buy, I don't care. I don't care if anyone wants to buy from China or wants a formaldehyde couch, that is each person's business. To each their own.

Old 02-26-2010, 04:43 PM

OKAY all you rich people who can afford McMansions in the Huntsville area....

What the heck are you guys doing with IKEA, C&B, and Salvation Army????? !!!! You have LOTS OF MONEY to burn! Go to Bragg's furniture, Lazy Boys, Bass, Thomasville, etc....

Just how often do you buy furniture? Not very often.

So why not buy the best that matches your house with those fancy crown moldings, wainscotings & trey ceilings? Remember, furniture need not only be functional, they also have to look good and reflect your sense of elegance, sophistication, and value. They reaffirm who you are and what you're worth. They make a statement that you have "arrived" in that stage of life as successful man/ woman.

Yes, ladies & gentlemen -- your house & furniture are a reflection of your self esteem. So stop denying what you've already know deep down. Give into your desire to have that really terrific piece of furniture. You know you really really wanted it....

Don't furnish your house like you just got out of college and having your very first job. Go over spend on your budgets because the flattery you'll get from the neighbor ladies will be worth the pain of your pocketbook.

Old 02-26-2010, 07:06 PM

26,362 posts, read 55,166,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
the flattery you'll get from the neighbor ladies
Is that all you want from the neighbor ladies?

Old 02-26-2010, 09:45 PM

5,014 posts, read 10,758,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maledictorian View Post
Huntsville needs an Ikea store.

I'm totally lost without decent furniture and I really don't feel like driving to Atlanta for a coffee table.
Townhouse Galleries in Huntsville and Decatur. They drive from Atlanta to shop here.

Bassett also has very good quality furniture in their Huntsville store (this is separate from the Bassett Furniture sold in mom-and-pop furniture stores).

Or...support those mom and pop stores. They can often order exactly what you want. The profits stay here.

Old 02-26-2010, 10:10 PM

807 posts, read 1,421,132 times
Ikea ain't coming. Get over it. There... It needed to be said.

BTW I have an Ikea kitchen.

Old 02-26-2010, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Is that all you want from the neighbor ladies?
Yes that's all I want. Unlike someone who checks out hot moms in the HC club house swimming pool.

Old 02-27-2010, 09:47 AM

10,263 posts, read 10,542,115 times
How will we as the people help bring such things to Huntsville?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area