Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 10:40 AM

71 posts, read 143,785 times

Advertisements

What's happened to Unclaimed Baggage? I went there this past weekend and was absolutely taken aback by the new hubris-based pricing scheme the place has instituted.

A pair of brand new (labels still on them) Levis was $10. A pair of ratty D&G jeans beside them was $85.

I found a nice wool topcoat in a size too big for me for $750.00 while a more sturdy one on the rack beside it sold for a still-astronomical $50.

They had a case FULL of 80GB iPods (circa 2006?) for $130 each while new ones sell for only slightly more and are guaranteed to work.

I've had friends tell me they're never going there again but I thought they were exaggerating. Has anyone else had a better experience lately?

Last edited by Maledictorian; 03-01-2010 at 10:41 AM.. Reason: clarity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 11:01 AM

3,297 posts, read 6,265,371 times
No, way too overpriced for people's used crap....

I have gotten some good deals on ski stuff there, that is pretty much the only thing I go there for. That's pretty much it.....

Old 03-01-2010, 11:02 AM

2,453 posts, read 3,215,313 times
It has always been like that for the 4 years we've been here. Stuff is priced based on what they think they can get for it. What should they do?

Old 03-01-2010, 11:36 AM

430 posts, read 1,059,383 times
I got a really good deal on some Sperry shoes there about 6 months ago. They were about 1/3 the price and brand new

Old 03-01-2010, 12:16 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,422,019 times
I've ALWAYS thought they were overpriced, plus just a generally nasty place. Constantly smells like incense. Bleh!

Old 03-01-2010, 12:55 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
In general, you can do a lot better than Unclaimed Baggage in most large city thrift stores. The two times I have dropped into that place, I have been unable to find ANYTHING that sparked my interest.

Personally, they have a business and can charge as much as they can get for their merchandise. Of course, noone is forcing you to buy anything from them.

I am surprised that they don't price more competitively as they get so much free advertising from travel publications and the like.

Old 03-01-2010, 01:17 PM

430 posts, read 1,059,383 times
I am guessing they charge as much as they have found people willing to pay. I mean obviously they are finding people willing to buy stuff. I haven't heard any news of the owners looking to sell the place or having to close down.

I have found a good deal all 4 times I have been there. Once I got a really nice sleeping bag for $8. But that was like 6 years ago and I have no idea what happened to that sleeping bag but it was used on many freezing cold backing packing trips. Its probably for sale again at the store.

Old 03-01-2010, 01:29 PM

73 posts, read 204,705 times
I went to the store once and found some prices way to steep and others a good deal. All their books were priced @ $5 and i was able to pick up a few with a good deal. I did find a suit that was priced @ $100 (i think its been a while) @ the time I had recently worked for Kohl's as an "Ad Set Associate" I recongnized the suit and knew that you could get the suit cheaper @ Kohls brand new. That is when I stopped browsing the clothing with intent to buy.

While I won't shop there frequently its still a fun place to take out of town visitors. Its good for shock value if nothing else (given that you believe all of the stuff was left on a plane)

Old 03-02-2010, 12:59 AM

692 posts, read 1,502,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdbiron View Post
While I won't shop there frequently its still a fun place to take out of town visitors. Its good for shock value if nothing else (given that you believe all of the stuff was left on a plane)
All of my out of towners wanted to see it.

Yes, everything is either found on a plane or unclaimed/lost cargo shipments. The little "museum" alcove is rather neat too.

I really don't know, but maybe the airline is charging them more and they now charge the public more to attempt to make up for it.

I have bought 2 books, 1 travel board game, and 1 rubber dinosaur there. However I too find most of the prices to be out of line.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:12 PM

6 posts, read 23,172 times
i would like to ressurect this thread concerning unclaimed baggage...ive gotten good deals there, ive got bad deals...i am displeased very much with the way they do business though......for example, you buy a laptop there, its very overpriced, and has no operating system.... so.... if you buy the laptop then the os disk, youre generally out way more than you would be if you bought a new one....these laptops are a gamble, loose connectors, non-working usb ports, etc;...and if you buy one thats scfrewed up, this is how they treat their customers, they give you a slip of paper good for store credit... in other words, they end up with your money no matter what...... and to top it off, if you dont use the credit within 90 days you lose it.....unclaimed baggage used to be a good plac for deals wher they werent greedy.... but now its completely based on greed, it deserves no good publicity at all....... very outrageous and greedy in their pricings of merchandise, especially when you think about what they gave for it which was much much less than what they sell it for....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area