U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 12:48 PM

1,399 posts, read 2,819,237 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of a vet that treats exotic animals, specifically sugar gliders, in Huntsville?

I have a recommendation for a quality exotics vet but she is nearly an hour away. I am wondering if there is a quality vet that is closer - an hour away is a bit far if there is at some point a pet emergency, not to mention two hour round trip drive is a bit much for a vet visit.

Calling around the only one mentioned is Governor's Choice on Governor's Drive, but I have to say I was not impressed with the person I spoke with on the phone.. she seemed very lacking in knowledge about the animal. I know she herself probably wasn't a a vet but it didn't give me the best feeling - I'd rather her at least say "I don't know, let me have the doctor call you back" rather than grasp at straws trying to answer questions (sometimes OBVIOUSLY incorrectly). If someone wants to jump to the defense of this vet, I am listening.

The next closest appears to be Nall Animal Hospital in Madison. That is a possibility. But still a little far. I'd prefer something in Huntsville, Hampton Cove, New Hope, etc, if possible. But if you know anything about Dr. Nall, I'm listening as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 02:57 PM

2,056 posts, read 1,962,949 times
I know Dr. Moore in Hartselle is about the best exotic vet in the area. But she is going to be a drive for you. We have always used her, she is wonderful, and does specialize in all exotics. The only other one who has been highly recommended is Dr. Atlas, but he is in Bham.
We have rescued rabbits, and the director of the Huntsville Friends of Rabbits has recommended Madison Animal Hospital on Hughes to treat rabbits, so maybe she is familiar with sugar gliders? I know Valley Animal Clinic in SE HSV does treat rabbits as well, but was not highly recommended to me by a few people who had used them.

Old 03-02-2010, 04:07 PM

Dr. Moore is the same vet that was recommended to me, and yes she is a good hour away.

I called vets all over the area today, including those claiming to serve exotics, and Dr. Moore, Dr. Nall, and Governor's Choice were the only vets that see sugar gliders as patients. But Dr. Moore's office is the only office that gave me some confidence that they are truly familiar with sugar gliders. I am getting an opposite sex sibling pair so neutering is a must. These pets are special animals and I do not want to throw my little guy under the knife of someone whose whose staff answers "Sugar WHAT?!" when I call to inquire. Actually to be fair, Dr. Nall's office didn't sound terrible, but I could tell from a 2 minute conversation that her office was not nearly as familiar with sugar gliders as Dr. Moore's is, and Dr. Moore is not really THAT much further than Dr. Nall from where I sit.

But thanks LCT it is good to get another recommendation to assure me that she is worth the drive out to Hartselle. Farther than I'd like but hopefully I will not have to make the trip often.

It's a good thing I called because they have limited exotic surgery slots. I made an appointment NOW for a neutering I don't need done until MAY!

Old 03-02-2010, 05:38 PM

847 posts, read 937,717 times
I'll add my thumbs up for the office in Hartselle. We have two Quaker parrots and North Alabama Cat & Bird Clinic is the only avian vet around. We like them enough that we also take our two dogs there. They are worth the drive!

Old 03-02-2010, 06:55 PM

13,565 posts, read 23,049,866 times
I have also heard good things about Dr. Moore. I think she is also a holistic vet also.

IIRC I have only heard/read one person who was not happy with her.

Post link not copyrighted material

Old 03-03-2010, 03:57 PM

652 posts, read 927,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaxwell View Post
North Alabama Cat & Bird Clinic
There is just something so wrong about that.

Those poor birds in a room full of cats

Old 03-03-2010, 10:30 PM

3,253 posts, read 5,179,490 times
I had to look up "sugar glider"...

Old 03-04-2010, 08:07 AM

No shame in having to look up sugar gliders. It's just the people who work at VETERINARY offices that I would expect to be knowledgeable when it comes animals people keep as pets.

Tammie - funny.

Old 02-12-2011, 05:02 PM

1 posts, read 2,853 times
Dr. Brown at Hampton Cove Animal Hospital also sees exotics, including sugar gliders. My friend took her guinea pig there for surgery, and was very happy with the outcome.

Old 02-12-2011, 06:30 PM

I just notice the sign that said they now see pocket pets and I wondered if that included sugar gliders! That would be more convenient than the place I ended up taking my male sugar glider for his neutering.

Thanks Tiger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area