U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 05:51 AM

49 posts, read 102,821 times

Advertisements

I read an article on al.com pertaining to making downtown Huntsville a place to live.

I would like to hear other's thoughts about why this would or wouldn't work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 01:17 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,984,381 times
my thoughts resonate exactly with some of the posters here.
Huntsville leaders explore "SmartCode" as way to jazz up downtown | al.com

Old 03-08-2010, 01:22 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,640,769 times
Unfortunately until the old guard is not in power, forward thinking ideas will never come about in this town.

Pretty sad considering the collective of engineers here in this town. This town should be a leader in this country.

Old 03-08-2010, 01:37 PM

It is unfortunate. I've lived in Atlanta and the Bay area in CA. I loved the fact that I could walk to many places. I have lived in Huntsville for many years now and am finally looking to purchase a house soon.

I wanted to be in a walkable neighborhood near restaurants and stores. I've looked near downtown Huntsville and looked at the Condos in Providence. Both in my opinion were too pricey and didn't have enough going on for me. Plus the Condos in Providence had some issues, HOA fees didn't include much, additional cost for parking spaces (not even assigned!), noise levels, etc...

So my beau and I are considering the Historical Decatur area. The downtown isn't huge, but it's quaint and walkable to restaurants, shops, the Riverwalk & parks. Plus it looks as though the housing prices are much more reasonable.

Old 03-09-2010, 05:22 AM

179 posts, read 340,272 times
I would love to see downtown Huntsville as a prime place to live, work and play.

Old 03-09-2010, 09:07 AM

268 posts, read 613,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marzgyrl View Post
It is unfortunate. I've lived in Atlanta and the Bay area in CA. I loved the fact that I could walk to many places. I have lived in Huntsville for many years now and am finally looking to purchase a house soon.

I wanted to be in a walkable neighborhood near restaurants and stores. I've looked near downtown Huntsville and looked at the Condos in Providence. Both in my opinion were too pricey and didn't have enough going on for me. Plus the Condos in Providence had some issues, HOA fees didn't include much, additional cost for parking spaces (not even assigned!), noise levels, etc...

So my beau and I are considering the Historical Decatur area. The downtown isn't huge, but it's quaint and walkable to restaurants, shops, the Riverwalk & parks. Plus it looks as though the housing prices are much more reasonable.
Excellent choice ! We are former New Yorkers and live in Old Decatur, we love it here, we walk to everything and there is plenty going on. We are never bored. And yes, it is quite reasonable, too ( prices ).

Old 03-09-2010, 10:05 AM

Thanks dee 42 for the input I'd like to know about the restaurants and shops. What are your favorites?

Old 03-09-2010, 03:43 PM

I'd love to learn more about old town Decatur. Any helpful websites?

Old 03-09-2010, 09:14 PM

234 posts, read 621,639 times
Here's the link for Downtown Decatur.

SmartCode is a very good way to get downtowns to function in a more livable manner. Tuscaloosa is currently working on putting their's together. Fortunately for Tuscaloosa, mayor Walt Maddox sees the importance of planning. Tommy Battle is a good mayor for Huntsville, and I think that this is something he likes. However, the council doesn't see the importance of it. While Huntsville's hi tech, and hi education community may take care of what kind of things are put in downtown, as far as the quality and aesthetics, it can't do it for long. Some policy needs to be put into place soon or else the progress will see a break down.

Montgomery has one, why can't Huntsville? I think everyone knows how well the one in Montgomery has worked out. Downtown in MGM used to be dead, now it's a happening place to go.

Downtown Decatur is also a place that could benefit greatly from SmartCode. The Downtown alliance has put in a lot of effort to get funding in order for new streetscaping and the city council is on board. Athens State and Calhoun are now in agreement about the downtown arts college and the only thing left is approval by the state.

There are LOTS of great things going on in the downtowns the two anchor cities of the Tennessee Valley, but we've gotta get some stuff in place to insure that it continues.

SmartCode is just that, Smart. It is flexible and molds to the development that wants to place itself in the area. It cuts out a lot of red tape and creates a VERY hospitable environment for downtown businesses and citizens. It allows entities that would normally reside in separate zoning areas to coexist and work together. It's basically an ordinance that encourages proper city development and allows development to occur in an orderly, sensible, and aesthetically pleasing manner. It's something that all of the larger cities in Alabama should look into.

Old 03-10-2010, 08:12 AM

Bring on the SmartCode. Anything that would bring back downtown life. I'd love to see the cities of the Tennessee Valley rebound with delightful, lively city centers. Urban sprawl is soooo ugly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area